Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 05, 2019 11:19AM

Except for me it would be not baptized, endowed, or sealed, Not. Even. Once...

"Children will meet Tyler, an energetic boy who is excited to make new friends in his Primary class. They have invited Tyler to join their special club, but first he has to pass the test and keep the club promise."
https://deseretbook.com/p/not-even-once-club-wendy-watson-nelson-88683?variant_id=7444-hardcover

But there are literally millions of dead people who are part of the "Not Even Once a Mormon Club." Their names are secure in not being used by Mormons for repeated dunking, handshaking, and dead wedding. That is a club I wish I could join.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: stillangry ( )
Date: November 05, 2019 11:27AM

Dreams are a good thing.

Technically every non Mormon is at risk of being a member of the club. And there is no way to avoid it, sadly. Personal boundaries? Forget it, you will be a member of the club regardless of what you believe. Just sad really.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: September 04, 2023 09:56PM

Recruiting is easier when the dead can join. You don't even have to sign them up. Mormons will do it for you.

The dead don't have to pay tithing, clean the chapel, or do busy work but they get all of the benefits of being a Mormon. So why should I go back to church when I can just wait until I'm dead when it's a lot easier?

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: November 05, 2019 01:37PM

Then Jesus wouldn't have bothered to get hung up on a cross if everyone was a member.

According to LDS doctrine, the NEOC would be Satan's club, dontcha think?

Date: November 05, 2019 02:36PM

Chicken N. Backpacks Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> According to LDS doctrine, the NEOC would be
> Satan's club, dontcha think?

*bows head* Yes.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 05, 2019 03:43PM

So many actually, but one of the big ones would be my temple marriage.

Date: November 05, 2019 04:41PM

Or marriage at all. Wouldn't it be nice to think our commitment to another human being was in wanting to live with them and not some contractual agreement?

Date: November 05, 2019 06:11PM

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: November 06, 2019 05:19AM

Yes! That's how I and my partner have done it - and it can work. 36 years and counting...

Date: November 07, 2019 11:00AM

Congrats!

Posted by: pooped ( )
Date: November 05, 2019 11:59PM

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: November 06, 2019 04:24AM

As a lifetime Mormon, I did it all, and more than once, and usually because someone coerced me to do it. The only thing I never did was say, "I know the church is true" and "I know Joseph Smith is a prophet of God." Those words will never come out of my mouth, not even once.

Date: November 06, 2019 09:57AM

I probably said I know the church is true.

I'll never marry someone gay again. ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Too funny.

I'll never go to a bishop interview again. I'll never allow a mormon male have any feeling of superiority over me again.

There are so many things today that I could say about what I will never do again, but I'll keep them to myself. I'll tell my therapist today.

Date: November 06, 2019 11:26AM

What exactly is the book harping on "not even once?"

http://www.ldsliving.com/FHE-Lesson-The-Not-Even-Once-Club/s/73543

Well, the coffee, tea, alcohol on their play menus for starters.

How about a club where "not even once" they were going to judge people? How about following the second commandment with the "club" and not even once not love thy neighbor as thyself?

“And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.”
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/general-conference/2015/10/if-ye-love-me-keep-my-commandments?lang=eng

Because it is easier to create an exclusive club around pharisaical thou shalt nots.

Date: November 06, 2019 11:29AM

I just thought of a "not even once" club for RfM.

I wish I not even once read or posted to a thread with 'atheist' in the title or mentions Richard Dawkins.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 07, 2019 07:17PM

There are some good, critical comments on that website from people who appear to be church members.

Feeling that you have to always be perfect is such a huge psychological burden. One of the most freeing things for me was in studying Taoism and Taoist art in college. Taoism (which takes its cues from nature,) embraces imperfection because nature is not perfect. One of my art history professors told me that Taoist artists would quite deliberately include a mistake in their paintings in order to embrace this philosophy. He would point out those deliberate errors to us. I found this philosophy to be so humane, and so understanding of human nature.

Along those lines, in high school I once painted a landscape using watercolors. It was coming out really well. Then, a bit too much water caused the colors to blur. It was ruined! I was upset -- all that work for nothing. My art teacher picked up the painting and literally ran away with it. He entered it in a statewide art contest where it won an honorable mention, and it was displayed in a public facility. So sometimes "mistakes" can be a good thing!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2019 07:21PM by summer.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 07, 2019 08:01PM

You've just reminded me of this:

"Nothing is ever truly broken - that's the philosophy behind the ancient Japanese art of Kintsugi, which repairs smashed pottery by using beautiful seams of gold."

https://www.google.com/search?q=japanese+broken+pottery+repaired+with+gold&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS760US760&sxsrf=ACYBGNSrdA4WfyeXvPVTvNoBSojGXoW1fw:1573174501994&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjSq_Has9nlAhUNrZ4KHZdQCN4Q_AUIEygC&biw=911&bih=417#imgrc=s8Y7sIBRTiFHBM:

So, both functional and beautiful, if only on a plane that religiosity can't/won't comprehend.

Date: November 08, 2019 11:42AM

Mormonism gilds lilies with their "not even once" allowing the natural through their consciousnesses.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 04, 2023 07:21PM

Wow. I posted a response to a current post in a thread from years ago.

That is one gargantuan D'oh!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2023 07:33PM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 05, 2023 09:57AM

Here's a typical mind bender.

One of the GAs bags gave a talk about a close friend of his who has always resisted the push to join the church. In fact, this friend has told the pompous GA that he and the wife will gladly wait for his temple work to be done upon his demise. Obviously, this non-member understands that the church does baptisms for the dead.

Naturally, the GA indicates that it is beyond egregious to wait to join until on the other side~ after death.

Yet, the church routinely snuffs out the idea that one can join the church and do all that one can~ attend church, do your callings, pay tithing, go to the temple, serve church mission trips (ha!). Despite doing all this nonsense, it still won't be enough to be saved!!!

Unless a member rises to the top of church leadership to receive his 2nd Annointing or a guarantee of exaltation, one's future is undetermined according to church doctrine. I was told at age 10 that my broken family would forever keep me from going to the highest level of heaven. It forever tainted my view of my eternal progression. I would tell my Sunday school teachers that I was on track for the middle kingdom. I actually had priesthood leaders who told me that I was headed for the lowest kingdom anyways.

There was a 62 yr old Elder who had perfect church attendance, did his home teaching, was a stake missionary. Yet, he declined the promotion to be ordained high priest because ***he didn't feel that he was worthy. Even my goof-ball, ward jester of a dad was promoted to high priest. Eventually, they told him that the age limit for elder was 66. The bishopric had a clerk type up some gibberish about the age limit and stuck it into the church handbook. Then he accepted the promotion.

So why try to do your best (if it's not good) when the church "supposedly" allows second chances for converts and for the dead?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.