Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: dumbmormons ( )
Date: November 05, 2019 11:27AM

The news of the deaths of some of the murderous LeBaron clan in Mexico is sad.

One weird thing is the push for "they are NOT mormons" - especially in statements from L-dS types and leaders who really push "we are NOT Mormons".

Who is a Mormon?

Nelson would comment but it is daytime and the lighted Pen used for Revelations doesn't work right in the daylight. So - we wait til tomorrow and see if he has a "revelation" about who is or is not a "Mormon"?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: loislane ( )
Date: November 05, 2019 12:24PM

They are totally Mormons. They are very good Mormons.

They went to Mexico along with the Romneys and the Redds to keep alive Mormonism's most sacred tradition -- polygamy.

They take their authority from their beloved ancestor Benjamin F. Johnson, to whom they say JS gave his mantle of authority. Who knows, maybe he did.

They are 100 percent Mormon.

It is the CoJCoLDS who are not Mormon.

Just ask them.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: November 06, 2019 09:01AM

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: November 06, 2019 09:44AM

If they identify as MORmONs, they should be called MORmONs.
But if they identify as "Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints" who are they trying to kid? They're still MORmONS.
Don't expect me to use 11 words when one works.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2019 09:46AM by schrodingerscat.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 06, 2019 09:52AM

they claim them as one of the millions to pad the numbers.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 07, 2019 12:16PM

It's like Christians pointing the finger at each other: They are not the right kind of Christian like I am!

All righty then.

If they practice what JS or BY taught, they are some variety of Mormon (and Christian too). Just because they have different grand poohbahs in charge or different "interpretations" of what is important doesn't exclude one or the other. Like with Christianity, one variety might be bastardized and more ridiculous, but who is to decide who is what?

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 07, 2019 12:27PM

You are whatever religion you say you are.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 07, 2019 02:18PM

I know you are but what am I?

Posted by: ptbarnum ( )
Date: November 07, 2019 01:28PM

Of course the cult has to take something graphically awful...and make it all about them.

"Such a terrible tragedy but they aren't REAL mormons like us. That's the important takeaway here. Not the brutal murder, but that everyone is made aware they weren't real mormons like us. No real mormons were burned alive just now, let's get that on the record. " Surprises me they don't give out their number and offer a free BoM.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: November 08, 2019 11:08AM

The churchofcheeseandriceofladderdayaints holds a number of trademarks related to the word Mormon (Mormon Tab Choir, Mormon this-or-that) but does not have a trademark on the generic word Mormon. That's one of the reason Rusty, errr...God (wink wink)... is trying to change the official cult name. It's been in use too long as a "type" of religion, not as any one particular organization. Same is true for the word Methodist, Catholic, Christian, etc.

When Jowles Holland says there's no such thing as a Fundamentalist Mormon, he is showing his ignorance. There might be no such thing as a Fundamentalist LDSer, but LDS is just one form of Mormonism. There are a number of others--such as FLDS, Latter-day CoC, Apostolic United Bretheren, and others. Just as there are many forms of Christianity, the LDS wanting to also claim that title now, as opposed to their shunning it when I was a kid.

So who am I to have to clarify to all my friends who ask if I heard about the killings that they were not mainstream Mormons. I just tell them I know about it and that there are a lot of Mormon polygamists in Mexico, where Romney's family had settled for that reason.

But the story just makes me shiver. When I think about that 15-year-old boy hiding his wounded siblings in the bushes and setting out for miles to find help, it tears me up. I don't care what crazyass cult his parents belong to.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.