Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 05, 2019 05:53PM

You didn't know what 'flummox' meant did you!

This is old but when I read it years ago I had a revelation. I was still going to church but a little part of my testimony died. It was like being on my mission again and watching liars and sycophants become leaders over me. I didn't want to lead. I made DL because I was friends with an office elder the prez liked. My mission ended in shame as a junior companion with a crazy hulk of a man with fire engine red hair and a habit of asking me to massage him. I never did.

So here it is. On the record how flattering the vanity of the aged powerful will get you way ahead of the others queued up for the promotion.

"President Monson, Elder Eyring, President Bednar, all of you distinguished guests, faculty and students, what a great and singular honor you do me. When President Bednar proposed the naming of this building to the Board of Trustees where I serve as chairman, I was simply flummoxed. (See if you know what that word means.) I did not know what to say. I was taken by surprise. I was stunned. I simply said in the language peculiar to the lawyers, "I recuse myself." I turned to President Monson, and said, "You run the meeting." "
https://www2.byui.edu/Presentations/transcripts/devotionals/2002_10_22_hinckley.htm?cid=AR17_09-02-2018_BYUPW_InaugurationFeature_10

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 05, 2019 06:10PM

bewildered and something else that I can't remember at the moment (I'm a senior ha ha ha).

Posted by: logged out today ( )
Date: November 05, 2019 07:43PM

Confused, perplexed, bumfuzzled… yeah sure he was. So surprised.

He had the authority to say no thanks. But he didn't. It's like the honorary doctorates the various BYUs "bestow upon" one of the Q12 every year it seems. Talk about a circle ass-wipe.

But it's BYU-I. Who else are they going to name their buildings after? No TBM Rexburg grad will ever make a meaningful contribution to improve the human condition, and no exmormon alum will suffer the indignity of having their name placed on a BYU-I building. Will anyone from BYU-I ever win a Nobel? Can anyone outside the tiny world of mormonism name a single BYU-I professor? The only news that comes out of Rexburg is the occasional threat of loss of accreditation due to some asinine religious crap endemic to the org, or its subpar educational standards.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: November 05, 2019 10:50PM

a building named after him too at some point. It's a complex dance they have to do. They can't come right out and say "please name a building after me."

Further complicating the situation is the fact that the current President of BYU-I is the son of a member of the First Presidency and therefore has nothing to gain by sucking up to Bednar. Eyring would be more likely to think, "My dad outranks you, so you can go pound sand Bednar." But Eyring may be trying to figure out how to name a building after his dad. His grandpappy already has a building named after him in SLC.

Bednar will probably have to wait and see if Eyring eventually gets replaced by a sycophantic, sociopathic lose who sees Bednar as his sponsor and patron. Then there will be a really nice, shiny new "Bednar Administration Building" or something like that announced for BYU-I.

Date: November 06, 2019 11:54AM

Wally Prince Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bednar will probably have to wait and see if
> Eyring eventually gets replaced by a sycophantic,
> sociopathic lose who sees Bednar as his sponsor
> and patron. Then there will be a really nice,
> shiny new "Bednar Administration Building" or
> something like that announced for BYU-I.

Well, Bednar's resting bitch face is priceless. Maybe with a building he will smile more? Hinckley was always grinning like Golum in front of cameras.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/media-library/images/quorum-twelve-2018-group-portrait-2074836?lang=eng

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/church/news/first-presidency-quorum-of-the-twelve-apostles-share-thoughts-about-rome-temple-dedication?lang=eng

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: November 07, 2019 01:41AM

Hinckley, grinning like Gollum??? I LOVE THAT!!

I met the Hinkster once, at a Stake dinner held in his honor. He was second in command at that time. I was a little bit late, because of work, and his goons started to approach me, but then they saw my friends hastily creating a place for me at their table and beckoning for me to come and sit. The goons stood down.

We had a meet and greet line. I presented a lovely card that my Beehive girls had collaborated on, for him. They put a lot of work into that final version - great imagery like "flooding the earth with Books of Mormon."

He barely glanced at it, and said, "I'll give this to the Prophet." Stupid convert that I was, I dared to object, saying, "But sir, we made this for YOU!" I got a very cold glare, and he drawled, "Wal, I'll give it to him anyway." Such graciousness - NOT.

I was underwhelmed, to say the least.

Date: November 07, 2019 05:22AM

fail to perceive. That would be the complete and utter contempt that many (if not most) of the top leaders (GAs) feel toward the ordinary, trusting, faithful Mormons who hang on the leaders' every word and idolize them with worshipful reverence that boggles the mind.

Most of the GAs (if not all) KNOW that they are frauds. They know that they're nothing like the religious superhero concoctions that ordinary Mormons think they are.

A guy like Hinckley, for example, probably knows that he would in all probability have ended up as a nothing more than a modestly successful insurance salesman if he hadn't been able to work personal and family connections to make nice career path as a Churchco executive. But they know what they know...and they see how amazingly gullible the little people are and can't feel anything but contempt for the little people.

Once you're out of the trance, it's easy to see how condescending, patronizing and manipulative they are in every encounter with ordinary Mormons. I swear, half the time, the expressions on the GAs faces seem to be saying, "Damn! I can't believe I'm getting away with this farce!" That seemed to me to be the expression on Hinckley's face and in his mannerisms virtually all of the time.

Date: November 07, 2019 10:56AM

"I'll give this to the Prophet."

Hinckley never considered himself a prophet. He wasn't worthy.

Date: November 06, 2019 11:40AM

Now we have a world where Mormons are confused.
If you don’t believe it, go and watch GC views.
We get different direction all along our way,
If we heed the prophets—follow what they say.
Flummox by the prophet, flummox by the prophet,
Flummox by the prophet; don’t know his way.
Flummox by the prophet, flummox by the prophet,
Flummox by the prophet; will his pen light today?

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: November 06, 2019 12:16PM

A theory: "Flummmox the Prophet" is Wendy's black-light pen name. She's the one behind all these changes!

Date: November 06, 2019 12:52PM

How about "Fluff The Prophet?"

Date: November 06, 2019 01:03PM

Date: November 06, 2019 01:20PM

I'm sure Kim Clark was flummoxed by the media attention this "soldiering" got.

https://byuiscroll.org/byu-idaho-video-gets-national-attention/

Date: November 06, 2019 02:56PM

Worth noting is that when SOLDERING isn't done properly, leakage occurs, which usually happens at night. Then you have to call your boss, "I won't be in today--I have a plumbing emergency."

Date: November 07, 2019 10:47AM

There is no 'I' in soldering? I get flummoxed when I plumb the depths of my soullessness.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 06, 2019 01:15PM

The mormon "church" is like a septic tank. All the really big chunks rise to the top.

Date: November 06, 2019 01:21PM

They are receiving their scatological glory in this life.

Date: November 06, 2019 02:51PM

In their case, an INglorious one.

Date: November 06, 2019 02:52PM

Their god has two assholes and one godhead.

Date: November 07, 2019 05:33AM

and the turd was with fraud and the turd was fraud, and the first turd went forth and multiplied until there were many turds. And behold, a seer will be called forth to reveal a turd mightier than all the turds of the hosts of heaven, and that seer will I bless, and they that seek to destroy him shall be confounded; for this promise I give unto you; for I will remember you from generation to generation; and his name shall be called Joseph, and it shall be after the name of his father; and he shall be like unto a master of turds; for the thing which the seer shall bring forth by his hand, and with no scroll of absorbent and soft paper, shall bring my people unto the repository of all turds that have been laid since the foundation."

This, or something like it, is in the Joseph Smith Translation of the Bible.

Date: November 07, 2019 10:48AM

Love it. Logos is loados of excrement from Heaven.

Date: November 07, 2019 11:03AM

Think any GenXer's can beat these old men at the top of Mormonism at their game? I think Bednar did with Hinckley's vanity.

"LeVine says he plans to work well into his 70s and doesn’t feel guilty about taking up a spot that might otherwise be filled by a millennial or Gen Xer (ages 39-53). “We all have to make a living,” he wrote in a Facebook post. “Want our jobs? You’ll have to beat us at our game!” "
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/careersandeducation/millennials-gen-xers-to-baby-boomers-can-you-retire-so-i-can-get-a-job-promotion/ar-AAJY3GY?ocid=spartandhp

Oaks, Monson, and Bednar are the only relatively "young" apostles in recent history.

There is yet to see another 50 something promoted.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2019 11:04AM by Elder Berry.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.