Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: November 06, 2019 12:23PM

... for good reasons. She was brought up mormon but left it all behind to become a successful musician and poet.

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2019/nov/06/debris-stevenson-mormonism-grime-poet-in-da-corner

Not bad, I'd say ;-)

Tom in Paris

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: November 06, 2019 01:02PM

She is a (queer) woman and uses the pronoun "she".

I know you're still angry, but perhaps you should focus your anger on its true sources.

Edited to add (for the confused - sorry to the others for shouting): She is NOT a transexual. SHE is a very talented biological FEMALE who will NEVER be sexually interested in men. They exist. Get over it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2019 01:19PM by Soft Machine.

Date: November 06, 2019 01:22PM

Back on topic, here is a brief extract:

Before starting to perform, "she kept the grime poetry she’d been writing in the library and “spitting out” on the way home from school secret. She often sat in the library and watched the world go by, struggling with dyslexia and tormented by trying to square her queer sexuality with her parents’ strict Mormonism.

It was grime that got her through those desolate days, says Stevenson. The music that was fomenting in the housing estates of east London as she was growing up in her working-class home in Ilford gave her access to language and poetry, and a sense of belonging: “There was something about the rage, something about the honesty, something about the locality. It was being made by people of not a dissimilar age to me. My home life had been all about my parents’ Mormon church. It wasn’t working for me and I needed a new home.”

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 06, 2019 02:24PM

Thanks for the information. She's an interesting artist.

Date: November 06, 2019 04:35PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2019 04:35PM by Soft Machine.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 06, 2019 04:57PM

It's nice to see someone gradually come to know, and accept, herself.

Posted by: Lord Felsham ( )
Date: November 09, 2019 07:03AM

I love the way that this article pretends she comes from some impoverished family and then lets slip that her brother is a top merchant banker and went to Oxford. That one sentence alone tells us more than the rest of the article does. This is a family on the way up.

Date: November 09, 2019 07:42AM

We can't know if she came from a rich family or not because, although 50 per cent of Oxford/Cambridge admissions are from private schools.. the other 50 per cent aren't.

Nevertheless, they do seem on the way up, so I would think that might be related to their (her) obvious intelligence. And, on the way up, they're leaving mormonism behind :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2019 07:43AM by Soft Machine.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.