Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anonyXmo ( )
Date: November 06, 2019 07:49PM

You can even give a goat!

#LightTheWorld Giving Machines Expand to 10 Locations During Christmas Season

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will place Giving Machines in 10 locations across the world this Christmas season, further expanding its efforts to #LightTheWorld by encouraging people to perform instant acts of service that make a difference in others’ lives.

“These Giving Machines are an example of the big things that can happen when many people give just a little,” added Sister Bonnie H. Cordon, Young Women general president. “That is what it means to Light the World one by one—when we each give what we can offer, our little light adds to a brightness of hope.”

This is the third year for the Giving Machines, which raised more than $2.3 million in 2018 for local and global charities. Total donations for 2019 will be continuously updated throughout the season and will be available on www.LightTheWorld.org.

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.org/article/light-the-world-giving-machines-expand-10-locations-christmas-season

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jcnotloggedin ( )
Date: November 06, 2019 08:15PM

Giving Machine?

TSCC is a Taking Machine.

Why not put up something called: Telling the Truth Machine?

Why not LightTheWorld with the TRUTH, the whole TRUTH, and nothing but the TRUTH? Hey Mr. Nelson?

Tell the truth about JS and his rock and hat trick. Come on, just tell the truth. Be bold. Declare it. Put it in the missionary Preach My Gospel manual. Just tell the TRUTH.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: November 06, 2019 08:36PM

how about instead of the members giving, what if cojcolds gave back a little something for a change? members could all go to the giving atm, put in their membership id and get a small Christmas check for $5,000.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: November 06, 2019 09:49PM

So.......10% to Church Co. for tithing with no idea where it actually goes nor how it is divided. Then there is fast offering. Then there is the work done without pay such as missions and building cleaning/maintenance. And now "giving machines". Is there any proof that giving machines donations actually go to reliable charities?

When one has been lied to over and over it is hard not to be skeptical.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: November 08, 2019 04:31AM

Yes, that was my thought, too.

"...raised more than $2.3 million in 2018 for local and global charities." What charities? What gives this away is that the Mormons are calling themselves a "global church". It's a no-briner that the LDS, Inc. takes all of the booty to grow the business.

Actually, my first thought was, "This AnonyXmo" is pulling our leg. He/she has got to be kidding!"

More money.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: November 08, 2019 04:51AM

I want a receipt!

I want to know exactly where my money is going. People have brans, and they want to know that, too.

Exactly what is that "partnership" with other charities? I'm sure LDS, Inc. takes a cut from each donation. Maybe other charities pay for the machines. We all know there's got to be a gimmic, and as soon as people become wise to this scam, the machines will disappear forever.

When I was at BYU, a childhood friend of mine from California observed that there were no vending machines on the campus. He quickly made a deal with Earnest Wilkinson to allow him to install machines all over the campus, and in all the dormsand BYU would get a cut of the profits. Can you imagine BYU with no candy bars? Only the bookstore sold them, at the time. My friend's daddy helped him purchase the machines, and my friend paid below minimum-wage to BYU students to stock them and maintain them. He enjoyed going into the girls dorms to empty out all the change. This friend reached the Fortune 500, before he was 40! He's one of the wealthiest global globe-trotting Mormons in the entire cult. Of course, he was only at BYU to find a wife, and he went on to Harvard Business School to learn how to become a gazillionaire with his daddy's seed-money. He's a nice person, really, and I adore his wife. Happily, they like to give to charity directly, hand's on, with their kids. Habitat for Humanity, The Peace Corps, Huntsman Cancer Center. They have given disaster relief directly, by delivering supplies in person. They helped me with my parents' funerals, and the sale of their house. Ya gotta love people like that. They also donated tons to Proposition 8, though.

Business is business, and I wonder if one of my friend's kids is at the bottom of this, and what kind of deal he worked out with those (real) charities. ????

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: November 06, 2019 10:33PM

So a few vending machines generated 1/15 of the humanitarian aid of the entire LDS church. They could replace the whole church with a hundred or two kiosks.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 06, 2019 10:38PM

I got my BYU Alumni magazine today...the Fall edition.

There were three full-page ads asking for money:

page 31, titled "Philanthropy. Family Style." ...I don't know, nor am I interested in, whatever a DAF is, a Donor Advised Fund. But, "if you would like information on how to use a Deseret Trust donor advised fund to facilitate your charitable giving, contact Philanthropies Gift Planning Services at ... or giftplanning@churchofjesuschrist.org"

Wheeeeee!

page 53, titled, "It's not exactly a sunstone." "But it will help Nauvoo to rise."

"You can help make the Community Center a reality by donating a brick for the entrance plaza, inscribed with your family's name, remembrance, or tribute. Your personalized brick will help fund the Nauvoo Community Center building project and cement your connection to Nauvoo for generations to come. To learn more ... please visit www.nauvoocc.org"

Wheeeee, again!

page 59, titled, "#GIVINGCOUGSDAY" "Did you miss it? You can still make a donation online, or for those of you who prefer to give later in the year, you can wait for our year-end campaign, GIVE.BYU.EDU/November19. Either way, we are grateful for your continuing support. give.byu.edu/givingcougday"

wheeeze...

At the back of the magazine, they have pages of death notices, listed by the year of graduation. I graduated in 1970. 20 of my classmates have departed for cloudier pastures since the last edition. I didn't recognize a single name, but that's okay because the only name I would recognize now would be RfM's BobOFitz, whom I didn't even know back then! I don't remember a single classmate's name from my time at the Y!

As far as who won the deadpool, it was the class of 1959. They had 36 deaths since the last edition! Way to go, guys!!

The only name I've ever recognized in all my years of checking the names on these monthly lists was my BYU bride. It kind of startled me...

Anyway, it does come across that los mormones do like to pick up all the spare change they can. Jesus must be so proud.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: November 07, 2019 02:19PM

I finally moved enough times (changed addresses and phone numbers) that all the BYU's and LDS, Inc. have stopped being able to reach me. I got phone calls a lot asking me to donate. Now I'm free at last.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: November 07, 2019 03:39PM

And I didn't even attend there!

I kept their rejection letter until a few years ago.

My own alma mater gave up years ago.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: November 07, 2019 03:56PM

That's just wrong. Of course the business school at my University keeps sending me pleas for cash. I did not attend the business school, but the school is named for the Founder of my Company......Any bets who gave them my name.

Got a call about a year ago from said business school and pointed out while I did graduate from the University my diploma says CLA, not their school. The guy hung up.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 06, 2019 10:56PM

Ummmmm- WE KNOW where the $ is coming from, buy Who's going to decide where the 'donations' go?

Only to LDS 'charities', I'm guessing; I haven't read who & how decisions are made (SOP for CoJCoLDS.

LDS is a TOTAL Rip-off.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: November 08, 2019 05:16AM

Bwa-haa-ha-haaaa!

"page 31, titled "Philanthropy. Family Style." ...I don't know, nor am I interested in, whatever a DAF is, a Donor Advised Fund. But, "if you would like information on how to use a Deseret Trust donor advised fund to facilitate your charitable giving, contact Philanthropies Gift Planning Services at ... or giftplanning@churchofjesuschrist.org. Wheeeeee!"

Every time I come onto RFM, there's something new and even stupider that the Mormon cult is getting away with! How dumb can people be? I guess BYU graduates are among the dumbest, myself included.

Many of us have already been victimized by the "remember BYU in your will" campaign, and the slogan, "Why make your children pay heavy estate taxes (the laws have changed) and legal fees (you can do it yourself), and cause arguments and problems? Give it all to BYU, and your problems are solved!"

What else would a "Donor-Advised Fund" be, but a way to grab all your money. Right. Computers and internet information are all you really need to "facilitate your charitable giving." Just do your research, and push the button of your choice. If this DAF and other pleas don't sound like scams, I don't know what does, except maybe a seer stone in a hat and golden plates.

It is upsetting to think that the Mormons are taking money away from legitimate charities. Sad, really.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: November 06, 2019 11:17PM

We don't need them. Use an online donation service.

Posted by: ptbarnum ( )
Date: November 06, 2019 11:53PM

Giving machines...wow, now that is a JSworthy swindle, right there. I'm sure he'd approve.

Um, people know the church be pocketing...right? Right? They don't actually *believe* it's going anywhere but downtown SLC...right?

Oh. I get it. Ok, so I'll just be putting up a lil box by my curb, and call it a...Greenbox. People can donate anytime they want. I'll take the trouble of putting it in Giving Machine for them. Right.

Date: November 07, 2019 12:03AM

I don’t think they can get away with any funny money stuff. Won’t it show up in their comprehensive public financial report, compiled by an outside audit agency? Oh wait, they don’t need that cuz the foxes can totally be trusted to guard the henhouse. It says so right here in this book the foxes wrote.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 07, 2019 12:13AM

ChurchCo 'giving' is WRONG for so many reasons, including:

- No Accountability
- 100% (?) 'given' to other mormons, Bps can screen out the "unworthy", the unwashed; actual need isn't #1
- ChurchCo takes credit as if they created the wealth / value, little if any credit goes to donors.
- extorts wealth from developing areas / countries with the 'promise' that giving will decrease / eliminate their poverty. A PURE LIE!

prolly more too.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 07, 2019 07:14AM

Why do "acts of service " involve giving money to a large real estate holding company masquerading as a church ?

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: November 07, 2019 03:48PM

I guess it would be too much to think they'd offer a COFFEE mug!

Date: November 07, 2019 10:41PM

I’m more in favor of re-gifting machines around the time of Festivus.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 09, 2019 12:54PM

I learned through experience to not donate to a third party, but directly to the individual charity instead. Administrators in charge of third party "charities" have sometimes been known to skim off funds.

I also use Charity Navigator. One charity had a partnership with my previous school in which the charity did fund raising. Once I found out that the head of the charity earned 500K a year, I tipped off the principal and she put a stop to that nonsense.

I also watch how a charity uses its donations and how it treats its donors. If a charity sends out too many solicitations or free gizmos, I know that my dollars are better spent elsewhere.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.