Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: xxMoO ( )
Date: November 07, 2019 08:49AM

to serve the burgeoning greater St. George metropolitan area

Washington County Utah Temple Site Announced

The temple, which was announced in October 2018 by Church President Russell M. Nelson, will be built on a 14-acre site located northeast of 3000 East 1580 South in St. George, Utah. Plans call for a three-story temple of approximately 88,000 square feet.

This will be the city’s second temple. The St. George Utah Temple, which was dedicated in 1877, closed November 4, 2019 for an extensive renovation. The temple is expected to reopen sometime in 2022.

Utah currently has 17 operating temples. In addition to Washington County, temples have also been announced in Layton, Orem, Saratoga Springs, Taylorsville, and Tooele Valley. Temples in southern Utah include Monticello, Cedar City and St. George.

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.org/article/temple-site-announced-for-washington-county-utah-temple

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 07, 2019 08:51AM

just make every stake center a temple. problem solved.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: November 07, 2019 09:02AM

New temple will be a 15 minute drive from the old temple.
???

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 07, 2019 10:27AM

Salt Lake, Utah and Davis/Weber/Box Elder Counties all have temples that are within a half hour or less of another temple, with several more announced. Distance is not the issue. Provo has two temples within short hiking distance.

I must admit to becoming increasingly puzzled at what the church's game plan is with all these temples. I don't know if they are amazingly wily and insightful, or just panic-stricken, and have no other ideas on how to keep the money flowing in and hang onto members, and the temples are their gigantic Hail Mary pass.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: November 08, 2019 12:49PM

If they want to stay tax exempt, they gotta put that money into something that "helps" the members. They could put it into helping the hungry and homeless, or better yet, into helping the well-off get salvation and keep paying you more in the meantime while you're sitting on a multi-million dollar asset you can leverage. Hard decision to make.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 11, 2019 04:26PM

Nailed it, NormaRae.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: November 10, 2019 10:08AM

If we build it, they will come.... but they have to pay tithing to get in.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Posted by: stillangry ( )
Date: November 07, 2019 09:02AM

Is St. George really that big?

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: November 10, 2019 06:34PM

I've heard it's the fastest growing community in the country. It doubles every 10 years. As You stand on Dixie mountain it seems to me that there are vast acres to the south that could sustain millions more? St. George will be bigger than Salt Lake probably in our lifetimes.

The sad thing about it is that they have completely thrown their founders under the bus. There is not one single monument to John D Lee, not much commemorating the Haskels either and the living sacrifices they made for the Indians.

Not many remember the 5 tribes of the area either, come to think of it. Just a bunch of wanderers with no skills coming for cheap housing and minimum wage jobs.

Posted by: Grits ( )
Date: November 07, 2019 09:07AM

Hard to think that St George needs two temples. And I wonder what the percentage of Mormons are in the community. Having heard it is a popular place to retire, I think it has become diluted. But I haven't lived in the area for 40 years.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: November 07, 2019 10:35AM

While retirees from all over have moved to St. George I suspect the majority are LDS from norther Utah. Who better to fill up temple sessions than those with plenty of time on their hands.

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: November 09, 2019 04:11AM

kentish Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> While retirees from all over have moved to St.
> George I suspect the majority are LDS from norther
> Utah. Who better to fill up temple sessions than
> those with plenty of time on their hands.

I have several retired family members who live in northern Utah and southern Idaho during the summer, but spend their winters in St. George.

Posted by: stillangry ( )
Date: November 07, 2019 09:10AM

They have to launder that money somehow. Sarcasm.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: November 07, 2019 09:24AM

I lived there for three years.
I escaped Never to live there again

Posted by: logged out (nli) ( )
Date: November 08, 2019 12:22PM

All these Utah temples are simply the church marking its territory. Just like dogs peeing on fire hydrants and cats peeing on… well, everything, this is the church peeing on Utah.

Fun alternative fact: this is how Moroni dedicated the Manti temple site way back during his lonely wanderings. He didn't raise his right arm to the square and intone something, Manti is just where he paused momentarily to take a leak.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 08, 2019 12:30PM

logged out (nli) Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Fun alternative fact: this is how Moroni dedicated
> the Manti temple site way back during his lonely
> wanderings. He didn't raise his right arm to the
> square and intone something, Manti is just where
> he paused momentarily to take a leak.

This "marking territory" is one of the most significant changes in Mormonism no one knows about.

In the past Mormon temples were a significant sacrifice and a sacred space. It was bull but it was "sparse" enough to lend it great gravity. Now they are almost off every other exit in Utah.

Smith's grand plan for his "New Jerusalem" was a "center point." Mormonism now is all about temple land grabbing. It isn't not like Joseph Smith who was all about the land (read "bank") but this was his "temporal" plan not "temple plan."

LDS Corp today has made the temple into something so insignificant as to make it not really part of a Mormon's inner life. It is just like Catholicism's rituals where they are empty and flat on people for whom pageantry just has no appeal. To big to set sail spiritually. That is what 21st Century Mormonism is all about.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 08, 2019 01:05PM

My father's buried in St. George. They can have five goddam temples for all I care.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 11, 2019 04:21PM

If St.George doesn't get the water pipeline they want/need, that will HALT THEIR GROWTH.

IDK if they've tried boring wells for ground water.

https://www.citylab.com/environment/2018/05/americas-fastest-growing-urban-area-has-a-water-problem/560492/

people need water, Mormons love freedoms to have a nice, green lawn all around their places.
the two of those are mutually exclusive, just like in SoCal, AZ, & other places.

bottled water companies such as Nestle take water from places like Minnesota while Minnesotans shrug their shoulders. Climate Change / Global Warming (there, I said it) isn't helping.

Human's need for water & the conflicts that arise from that have been an integral part of civilization, most likely will never end. Humans tend to be very territorial, ya know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2019 04:29PM by GNPE.

Posted by: villager ( )
Date: November 11, 2019 07:23PM

Many nice tax exempt real estate investments. Squeeze that money out of families that are barely holding on and increase taxes at the same time.
Isn't it wonderful!
Isn't it marvelous!!

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: November 12, 2019 01:26PM

St George is going to have serious water problems. They are going to have to cut their water use way down and water will get very expensive. I wouldn’t retire there.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: November 12, 2019 08:30PM

And because the brethren are directed by the Lord, the area is without a functioning temple for a while. They could've adjusted renovation and construction schedules so that at least one was open, but I guess that's not what Jesus would do.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: November 13, 2019 12:51AM

According to Dave Bednar, members are more faithful at temple attendance when they have to drive hours and hours to get to one. He stated that members get complacent and stop attending when it is too easy to get to the temple. The members who live long distances from temples are more faithful attendees.

So why put more than one temple in the same city? This makes no sense. Put them as far away from a high density Mormon city as possible and "They will come" according to Bednar.

Or maybe he was just blowing smoke to make the non-attending Mormons feel guilty? Guilt and shame are the old tools of the trade for Mormonism.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 13, 2019 04:36AM

I keep remembering the twist they put in knickers of Toledo & nearby communities:

Detroit temple is closer, but Toledo (was?) in the Columbus 'temple district'... What Nonsense!!!

Some of the Uber TBMs suggested that trips to Detroit 'didn't count', ward temple groups were 'forbidden' to go to Detroit!!!

Stupid Cult!

Posted by: anonandanon ( )
Date: November 13, 2019 08:10PM

They did that in the midwest. Chicago temple was closer but St. Louis temple was assigned temple. Those poor oldster members who got lost in traffic on the way to Saint Louis was sad. Others just stopped going and got blasted by stake leaders for not attending their assigned temple. Jerks!!! You must obey. You must obey. You must obey. You must obey. You must obey........

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.