Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sb ( )
Date: November 07, 2019 11:17AM

I stand, with my mercies fully tendered, at the mistakes Nelson offers me. Confused at the nonsense he prophets me, I tremble to know that I once took this guy seriously. Oh, it is wonderful that he should care for me, enough to lie to me.

Nelson, in his diving stumbling, he has gotten THE church so much closer to the truth. In fact, with his might lighted pen, his nosy wife, and his propensity to follow whatever the PR and legal department tell him, he has now simplified Mormonism into 12 new articles of faith:

We believe in…ok, I know none of it make sense anymore, but just do what I freaking tell you.

Yes. None of is factually true, but it makes us rich and you feel good, so a fair trade.

We are hemorrhaging cash so pay up, scrub the toilet and turn down the thermostat.

You were right, there is no revelation, but I get some great insights when I have to go pee in the middle of the night.

No. Not even God can fix the BYU football program.

It is not about rules or doctrine, it is all about doing the hokey pokey and getting yourself turned around.

Ok, yes, we get paid, a lot, so what.

My wife is running the church doctrine by adapting her awful, chicken-soup-for the -gullible-soul books into official doctrine. But official means nothing around here.

The priesthood is magical thinking and confirmation bias. But with ties!

God needed to restore his church to the original, so it could be changed constantly.

We have received the full restoration AND the lord keeps revealing the basics, like the name of the church or how it should be organized, but please don’t think these changes are because the mountain of previous bad decisions are coming home to roost.

Only I know the truth, and truth is all the previous guys were wrong, but not me, trust me.

In all seriousness, Nelson has done more, save the internet only, to destroy the church than all the previous prophets combined. In order to smooth out the bed, he has taken all the stuffing out, which is why people liked it in the first place. The doctrinal insight in at the moral level of the nonsense books his wife writes, that of a 5 year old. In turn he has paternalized and infantilized the doctrine, the only branch of cognitive fog that they could cling to that was not totally below water.

Mormonism no longer sales Mormonism. This is huge.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2019 11:24AM by sb.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 07, 2019 11:21AM

But they have a temple in Rome. They are part of the global pantheon.

Date: November 11, 2019 12:31PM

I think that is symbolic: after their entire effort to "restore" the original church away from what Rome did with it, they return to be accepted.

Date: November 12, 2019 03:08PM

Claiming to be a restoration and currying favor with a Pope seems like a terrible idea. But they are no longer Mormon so anything goes now.

Date: November 12, 2019 03:41PM

true.

They are mormons who refuse to be called mormons

god's in training that dont get planets

polygamists that only get on wife

restorationists of a changing church

testimony holders that are warned to to expose themselves to truth

a growing church that is shrinking

a christian church that focuses on persecuting minorities, money and real estate holdings

Date: November 12, 2019 04:51PM

Their wonderful and marvelous retrogradedegradation.

Date: November 13, 2019 01:53PM

sb Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They are mormons who refuse to be called mormons
>
> god's in training that dont get planets
>
> polygamists that only get on wife
>
> restorationists of a changing church
>
> testimony holders that are warned to to expose
> themselves to truth
>
> a growing church that is shrinking
>
> a christian church that focuses on persecuting
> minorities, money and real estate holdings

I love this list.

Editor in me would reword it.

List of what Mormons say they are and what they do.

1. They say they aren't Mormons when they are considered as such.

2. They are seekers of their own godhood glory but deny that they are gods in embryo.

3. They are temporal monogamists with hareems of wives waiting for them in their hereafter.

4. They are slowly restoring the original church of Jesus by trying out new things.

5. They have testimonies of truths they won't learn about because they are not useful.

6. They are one of the fastest growing churches with the worst retention rate.

7. They are a charitable Christian church focused on making profits for dead people.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2019 01:55PM by Elder Berry.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: November 11, 2019 12:40PM

Haha. Why is the truth always so funny? You are as spot on as you are funny.

It was SWK's book that made me see the light and get the hell out. They are their own worst enemy.

Date: November 12, 2019 03:02PM

The antichrist could not be more effective in taking them down.

Date: November 12, 2019 03:09PM

Unless they are the anti-Christ then it all fits nicely.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 12, 2019 03:56PM

That volume was pure evil. There is no loving God, no love, in it.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: November 13, 2019 01:42PM

sb Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The priesthood is magical thinking and
> confirmation bias.

It is also authority granted by the bosses to boss other people around. It secures men's positions on the upper end of the pecking order.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: November 13, 2019 01:44PM

Yes. Exactly. It also denigrates those men who do not play along.

Control through flattery.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 13, 2019 01:54PM

The longer I am out of Mormonism, the more I am embarrassed that it took me as long as it did to realize it was a completely ad hoc pile of horse-hooey that needs constant shoring up to keep it from completely collapsing.

So much of Mormonism is like the story about how the missing 116 pages of the BoM don't need to be found, because God knew this was coming, and had a somewhat different backup narrative waiting in the wings. As the South Park episode on Mormons stated, "you mean Mormons know this story, and they still believe??"

See, for example, the current claim that God skipped 11 prophets (or whatever the number was) before getting around to telling one of them that the whole "less valiant in the pre-existence" story was not doctrine, just racist nonsense. [ETA: Note God didn't reveal the racist nonsense part until several prophets after SWK lifted the priesthood ban against black men.]

Everything about Mormonism is that level of nonsense. It is embarrassing, and a testament to the power of human denial.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2019 01:58PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: celeste ( )
Date: November 13, 2019 10:53PM

So on topic but it will seem off topic for a few sentences. I’ve been watching this show called Atypical, featuring a young adult with autism as the main character. On one episode he is trying to learn how to lie. His neurotypical friend says he thinks that people with autism are the “normal” ones because they see things as they are without trying to add layers of meaning.

Made me think about the Mormons (#dontcallusmormons)staying so deeply in denial despite the evidence. They attach layers of meaning to everything to either cope with or explain all the mysteries (read errors, lies and omissions). I did it too, obviously. And it made me nutty. I thought I saw the god of this world at the MTC for example. Absolutely bonkers. Nelson is the current poster child (poster old white dude) who is fabricating the layers of meaning in his own speshul way.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.