Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 07, 2019 11:19AM

They will be waiting a long time for "language affinities for JAREDITE names."

"Until possible language affinities for JAREDITE names can be determined, all suggestions for etymologies of JAREDITE names must remain more speculative than substantive."
https://onoma.lib.byu.edu/index.php/MORIANCUMER

The above link is one of the most ridiculous examples of trying to square the fanfic circle of The Book of Mormon with real history. It is a short entry. And in it you find The Brother of Jared's name is not found in The Book of Mormon but Joseph Smith's head.

And that tricky "er" is just "err", problematic for Mormons thinking their book is real.

Just thought I would post this to entertain people. To stand for something in Hinckley's personal philosophy like this is ridiculous. You've already fallen for a Jaredite barge of crap and you are attempting to right yourself in a shit load of nothing worth standing for guided only by a rock that the god Jehovah lacking a body lit by his finger. Ether is a good name for what you are standing for...err, qūming for.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nomo moses ( )
Date: November 07, 2019 11:37AM

Thanks. I do find the link entertaining.

Interesting that they would spend so much time trying to link BofM names to Hebrew. The etymology is bound to work for some names because Joseph S used landmarks which may have Hebrew roots.

It reminds me of elders on my mission translating English synonyms into Spanish leading to phrases like "lechuga salir".

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: November 07, 2019 12:17PM

nomo moses Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It reminds me of elders on my mission translating
> English synonyms into Spanish leading to phrases
> like "lechuga salir".

"Lettuce to go"??

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 07, 2019 01:38PM

Lettuce leaf, or we'll be late for our next assignation!

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: November 07, 2019 01:46PM

elderolddog Wrote:
> Lettuce leaf, or we'll be late for our next
> assignation!

!Comprendo!

Gracias, senor.

Posted by: ptbarnum ( )
Date: November 07, 2019 01:18PM

Until possible engineering affinities for the Jaredite tightness of dishes can be determined, all suggestions for the Jaredite marine craft being tight as a dish must remain more speculative than substantive.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: November 07, 2019 01:26PM

is Masonry.

Morian...cumer is likely derived from Morgan.

It's Masonry Morian...cumer or is it Masonry Morgan...cumer.

At the time the Book of Mormon was being concocted, the area of NY where JS lived was all abuzz with the scandals and rumors relating to Masonry (giving rise to the Anti-Masonry movement), which was triggered by the publication in 1826 of an expose on Masonry by William Morgan, and then his mysterious murder. (Morgan's widow later became one of Joseph Smith's plural wives.)

Most of the Mor__on complex of words likely were inspired by the name Morgan. Mor(m)on. Mor..on..i. Land of Mor_on. willi...AMMOR_ON...

Phonetically, all you have to do is change the "h" to an "s" in Mahonri and you get Masonry.

To some it may seem like a stretch...until you realize that the same thing happened again when Joseph Smith came up with the title "Master Mahan" in the Pearl of Great Price.

Master Mahan is obviously Master Mason.

It may well be that Joseph Smith was not consciously deciding to make up names in this way, but in the course of trying to come up with novel names, he inevitably would have been influenced by names that were actively percolating in his mind. His internal editor usually wouldn't let him simply use such contemporary names as is (too much of an obvious tell), so he would have made an effort to alter them.

A sound substitutions here, drop a letter or sound there, tack on an additional syllable...and you've got a bunch of strange-sounding names from a "lost ancient civilization".

Josiah becomes Mosiah.

Luman becomes Laman.

Lemuel (the Smith's landlord) becomes...Lemuel. (Joe was probably tired that day.)

Sam (Joe's brother) becomes...Sam. (Another day when Joe wasn't feeling energetic.)

Perhaps "Hale, Emma" becomes "Hel..ama...n"

It is hilarious to see the apologists turn their brains into pretzels trying to make the ridiculous seem plausible, when there are much simpler and infinitely more plausible explanations readily at hand.

Posted by: logged off tonight ( )
Date: November 07, 2019 11:15PM

"Lemuel (the Smith's landlord) becomes...Lemuel."

Lemuel, like Lehi, is a biblical name. IMO it came from the bible & it's just a coincidence that the landlord shared the name.

Lemuel is also found in Jonathan Swift's "Gulliver's Travels" as Gulliver's given name.

Date: November 08, 2019 05:17AM

But in Joseph Smith's case, not only were these names in the OT (KJV), but they were even closer than that. One of them being the name of the guy who owned the property they lived on and one of them being the name of Joe's own brother.

Date: November 08, 2019 05:29AM

including his own name. But when he's trying to make up names for characters, the names that he was most familiar with would be the ones that would pop up in his mind most frequently and persistently as "inspiration".

In the case of Biblical names, he would therefore also feel no need to disguise them, so he would just use them as is. Why not name a character Lemuel, even if the only reason that name popped up in his head was because the name came up in the family's discussions often. Since it was a biblical name, he would just go with it. Same with Sam. Same with Lehi.

But it doesn't look like he was thumbing through the OT when looking for inspiration for names. When he came up with the name Mosiah, it probably wasn't because he stumbled across the name Josiah in the OT and decided it would be cool to switch the "J" out for an "M". It was more likely because Josiah Stowell paid Joe money to look for buried treasure and Josiah was another name (that happened to be biblical) that was also prominent in Joe's own life and circle of acquaintances.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: November 07, 2019 01:40PM

Entertaining but rather sad. Someone is proudly (and of course humbly ;-) putting great effort into seeking pointless parallels to put together a website whose name sounds like a guide to masturbation (although I'm sure it's a real word and that's not what it means).

But "Onomasticon"... really?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 07, 2019 01:43PM

Onomasticon sounds like a giant pachyderm with negative energy.

Date: November 07, 2019 10:36PM

So you have a faux Hagothish Lamanite connection right there.

Masticate means to "chew" (as in the thespians liked to go into the back room and masticate with each other.)

Then you just add "con".

Onomasticon therefore derives from the ancient Adamic expression, "let's chew on this delicious con."

100% true.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: November 08, 2019 02:50AM

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: November 07, 2019 01:53PM

Well, the article uses fancy pants words like caveat, onomasticon and etymologies, so I know that the people who wrote it are way smarter than me and I trust them.

The church is true!!

Date: November 07, 2019 06:08PM

Chicken N. Backpacks Wrote:
> The church is true!!

Qūm for something. Qūm for Hinckley.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: November 07, 2019 07:18PM

I wonder why the scholars on that website do not mention the trailblazing work of L. Dwayne Samuelson, "Lehi In The Pacific: Powerful New Evidence For The Book of Mormon" which is available, with my critique, at
http://packham.n4m.org/pacific.htm

Date: November 07, 2019 10:42PM

I think L. Dwayne is an amazing scholar and gentleman. I have a hard time finding fault with any of L. Dwayne's theories, which track nicely with the whole "somebody found some Hebrew consonants equating to "nhm" on an ancient stone in Saudi Arabia and that means that the Book of Mormon is true because someone in the Book of Mormon was named Nahum" line of impeccable reasoning and logic.

Date: November 07, 2019 10:22PM

he would learn that Joseph Smith had a thing for making up names that went far beyond the Book of Mormon.

Remember how Oliver Cowdery was "Olihah" in the 1835 edition of the Doctrine of Covenants? Just imagine if "Olihah" had appeared in the Book of Mormon. Mopologists would be racking their brains trying to find the ancient etymology of the name, when in reality Joseph Smith for some reason decided that it was cool to add the suffix "hah" to other names in order to make up new names. (Moronihah, I'm lookin' at you.)

The Churchco managers long ago decided to clean up the Doctrine & Covenants and deleted those made-up names from subsequent editions.

But here's a sampling:

--> Ahashdah: Newel K. Whitney

--> Alam: Edward Partridge

---> Baneemy: originally Lyman Wight, reinterpreted by Orson Pratt as "mine elders" in 1876, perhaps corrupt Hebrew for “my sons”; also claimed as a title by Charles B. Thompson

--> Baurak Ale: Joseph Smith. This is a very clear Hebrew for barakh 'el (ברך אל) “blessed [of] El,” i.e., God.

--> Enoch: Joseph Smith

--> Gazelam: Joseph Smith (cf. Gazelem) (Because Joseph Smith was a "seer" or stone GAZER.)

---> Horah: John Whitmer

--> Mahalaleel: Algernon Sidney Gilbert

--> Mehemson: Martin Harris

--> Olihah: Oliver Cowdery (see -ihah)

--> Pelagoram: Sidney Rigdon (maybe Rigdon suffered from Pellagra.)

---> Shalemanasseh: William Wines Phelps (cf. Shalmaneser, Manasseh) (Joseph Smith probably had been thinking about shale that day and then tacked it together with manasseh.)

--> Shederlaomach: Frederick G. Williams (cf. Chedorlaomer, Shedolamak) (Probably had something to do with Joe being hungry for cheddar cheese and also meeting a guy named Lomax who wouldn't share his cheese.)

--> Zombre: John Johnson (Maybe Joe met an hombre named Zorro.)

--> Cainhannoch: New York (cf. Enoch son of Cain)

--> Lane-shine-house: printing office (Joe liked putting "shine" into a lot of the made-up names. Probably because he was always shining someone on, or maybe because his dad was brewing moonshine.)

--> Ozondah: mercantile store

--> Shinehah: Kirtland, Ohio (a word for the sun used in the Book of Abraham see also -hah) you gots your "shine" and your "hah" in one word. How special.

--> Shinelah: print (Joe was getting lazy here. Used one too many hahs already. Let's change hah to lah and lah-dee-dah!)

--> Shinelane: printing

--> Shule: ashery

--> Tahhanes: tannery (zero explanation required. Wow! You really got a nice sun tahhan. Or should I say "shine tahhan")

Joseph Smith was such an obvious fraud. It still boggles my mind that there are any adults of average or greater intelligence who take any of it seriously--especially seriously enough to make up a blog about researching the ancient etymology of Joe's made-up nonsense names.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_code_names_in_the_Doctrine_and_Covenants

Date: November 08, 2019 11:33AM

I forgot about this little historical gaffe. Making up names was a Joseph Smith trademark. Intellectual Reserve ought to register each and every one of these.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.