Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 09, 2019 10:18PM

DW was complaining about using the term "Mormons" to describe the LeBaron group who lost women and children in the recent attack in Mexico, wondering why the media kept referring to the victims as "Mormons." I had to explain that "Mormon" is a generic term for anyone who followed Joseph Smith's restoration movement, including FLDS, UAB, etc. After all, they came West with BY, believe in Smith, the BoM. Then she said, "It'll make people think we're weird." Uh,...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 09, 2019 10:22PM

You are a bad man, cludgie!

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: November 09, 2019 11:00PM

Those people are closer to the original mormonism that Smith and Young taught. If Smith and Young were to see what LDS Inc. is "Practicing" they'd call the Apostates.

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: November 09, 2019 11:38PM

Hey,The Brethren have been disavowing the term Mormon for years. Tell her they're the "Real Mormons" because they never abandoned the principle. :-)

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: November 18, 2019 01:25PM

Your wife has just shown how prophetic Russ was. He was inspired to ditch the name Mormon in favor of tcojcolds just before the Mexico shooting. So nobody should be thinking that she and Russ have anything to do with that group.

Does your wife still think of herself as a Mormon? Shame on her. She must wash that evil connotation from her mind and get on board with Russ's new "Plan of Semantics" like a good girl.

Maybe they/we could take the acronym TCOJCOLDS and make it more pronounceable by saying something like: The Co-Jay Colds? Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is just too much for my mouth. It crowds out my teeth to say it.

Posted by: loislane ( )
Date: November 10, 2019 08:23AM

Not weird, just peculiar.

Date: November 10, 2019 07:14PM

No, weird, I tell you. Weird.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 10, 2019 10:49AM

I have a disabled brother and when they had that raid in Texas, he asked me why the polygamists had pictures of BY and JS on all their walls. I told him THEY ARE MORMON. He is developmentally disabled. All he could say was, "OH?"

Posted by: stillangry ( )
Date: November 10, 2019 10:54AM

They are weird!

Posted by: montanadude ( )
Date: November 11, 2019 11:39AM

LD$ Inc. finds itself in quite a dilemma about being offended and/or protesting the media's frequent Mormon mentions. If they make too much of a stink, they look insensitive. I'm sure they wish this story would go away, but it seems to be front and center for most media outlets and doesn't seem to be going away anytime soon.

Posted by: loislane ( )
Date: November 11, 2019 02:25PM

The LeBarons will NEVER go away. There are too many of them.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: November 11, 2019 11:53AM

The Church of Big Underwear has plenty of its own.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_garment

The Church of Nelson got rid of that plyg compound weirdness more than 100 years ago. It's still in the scriptures/standard works. But that plyg compound weirdness has been deferred to the next life, where it will become eternal weirdness. Got that? We wuz weird just like the LeBarons up until our 4th prophet decided he couldn't take the heat anymore and suspended the weirdness. We still believe in it, but don't want to be practicing it anymore because being that weird has unpleasant consequences in this world. But in the next life it's all coming back.

In the meantime, let's wear big underwear that we buy from our church...because that's not weird at all.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 11, 2019 07:09PM

kidnapped in Chihuahua, Mexico, a few years ago. He wrote a book and she asked me if I wanted to read it. I said sure. There was quite a bit of stuff about mormonism in it, but not too bad, but it was so compelling that I read it in one sitting--for almost 4 hours. I'm in shock he got out of there alive. Now he is in Chile for the church.

So, my daughter read the book. Last night she was here talking for about 3 hours and she said she loved the book, but there was just too much religion in it and she skipped over those parts. Yes, my TBM daughter. I was SHOCKED.

Yes, it is extremely horrible how the mormons keep trying to distance themselves from these victims. It is so absolutely horrible. All the deaths are so terribly sad. Since I have twins, anytime twins are involvedin something like this, it just rips me apart. But the mormons can't just allow themselves to be empathetic.

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: November 14, 2019 11:51AM

They were just calling them Mormons", not "Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints".

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: November 14, 2019 12:09PM

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: November 14, 2019 12:09PM

Per Nelson, they're members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

There are no such things as "Mormons."

/s

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 14, 2019 12:38PM

Mormons are now the bad guys.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: November 14, 2019 11:50PM

https://religionnews.com/2019/11/07/no-the-mormon-polygamists-in-mexico-are-not-part-of-ervil-lebarons-church/

Lindsay Hansen Park, host of the “Year of Polygamy” podcast.

Americans who catch most of their ideas about Mormons from the musical “The Book of Mormon” and from Mitt Romney’s presidential career weren’t expecting the headlines this week about drug cartels warring with polygamous enclaves in sleepy farming border towns of northern Mexico.

To be fair, not even the most prophetic Mormons, such as Brigham Young, who first dabbled with Mormon Mexican settlement over 170 years ago, could have seen a headline like that coming.

The recent news of the slaughter of nine people with dual U.S.-Mexican citizenship from Mormon communities at the hands of warring drug cartels has everyone asking, “Who are these white Mormon polygamists in Mexico?”

Here is one thing they are not: They are not members of Ervil LeBaron’s Church of the First Born of the Lamb of God, made famous in the popular imagination by journalist Jon Krakauer in his 2003 book, “Under the Banner of Heaven.”

While many of the families in the colonies share the surname “LeBaron,” they are likely of no association to Ervil’s group, most of whom they’ve never met or interacted with.

They do have a common ancestor in Alma Dayer LeBaron Sr., a Mormon who was excommunicated from the LDS Church in 1924 for continuing to practice polygamy, which the Utah Saints officially disavowed in 1890.

Traveling back and forth from Utah to his ranch in Mexico, which he christened “Colonia Le Barón,” Alma spent the majority of his life committed to his Mormon faith and exploring new avenues for authority beyond the LDS Church. His ideas were inherited by his seven sons, who remained in the Mexican colonies. His most fanatical son, Ervil, started his own sect in the early 1970s.

Ervil is known primarily for murdering anyone who challenged his prophetic authority, including his brother Joel. He developed a hit list of people he believed stood in the way to his claim as “The One Mighty and Strong,” including LDS President Spencer W. Kimball. Though Ervil never succeeded at murdering Kimball, he did convince several of his plural wives to murder Rulon Allred, the prophet of the rival Apostolic United Brethren, a polygamous sect of some 10,000 Mormons, in 1977.

Ervil died in a Utah prison on Aug. 16, 1981, but his followers continued to pursue names on his infamous list. The families who remained in the Mexican colonies had to contend with threats from Ervil’s followers until the list allegedly went “dead” around 2013.

Many of the citizens of the Mormon Colonies are members of a variety of different Mormon churches, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to independently practicing Mormon polygamists. Some practice plural marriage and others believe in the principle but don’t practice it, though they all trace their presence in Mexico to it.

In response to the violence surrounding them, the families have learned to cooperate together to protect themselves. Although gun ownership is typically illegal for most Mexican citizens, the groups have worked out arrangements with local officials that allow them to defend their communities.

The limits of those protections came to a head in 2009, when Mormon families of the same LeBaron name were targeted by drug cartels. Several kidnapping attempts from cartel members for ransom eventually led to the brutal beating and death of Benjamin LeBaron, an activist who was determined to work with government officials to protect his community.

The Mormons who inhabit the area have farmed large pecan and fruit orchards for generations. These farms are both lucrative and well-organized. Because of their success and their proximity to the border, they have become a target for guerrilla-style tactics by warring drug lords in the area. Many of the colonies’ adult family members have publicly denounced cartel tactics and refused to submit to extortion and harassment.

Which is likely why three innocent women and six of their children were attacked and gunned down, their SUVs and car seats riddled with bullet holes on Monday (Nov. 4) while the individuals traveled to a family wedding.

The hard reality for the majority of those touched closely by this tragedy is that they are Mormon families, striving to live their religion quietly with little help from the communities that surround them. They are people whose convictions are deeply entrenched and who have chosen to fight for the lands they’ve sacrificed hard for, no matter the cost. This week the cost was high and horrifying.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2019 11:52PM by anybody.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: November 15, 2019 12:23AM

Have Nelson's admonitions, pleadings and prophetic counsel been falling on deaf ears?

She should rejoice!

She should be glad.

As in: "I'm so glad they're referring to them as Mormons. Because that's not us. We're members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints who can't get the rest of the world to stop calling us Mormons because we don't have a convenient nickname anymore and most people don't want to say 'members of the Church of Jesus Christ' every time they want to talk about Mormons, but who are still glad to not be Mormons anymore because Mormons are those shady people who live on polygamy compounds."

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: November 15, 2019 10:29AM

Wait! “Don’t call us Mormons anymore. We are membersofthechurchofcheeseandriceofladderdayaints! Unless you call other people Mormons who still claim to be Mormons but are different than us. In that case WE are Mormons and the real ones. Just don’t call us that.” Or did I miss something.

Date: November 27, 2019 03:17PM

Call me dumb, but I sadly missed that connection, and didn't comment like I should have.

Posted by: Wowza ( )
Date: November 15, 2019 10:42AM

But, she isn't a mormon so whats the big deal??

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: November 18, 2019 11:13AM

There's a certain irony here in view of the debate that often arises over whether Mormons are Christian or not.

Posted by: dumbmormons ( )
Date: November 22, 2019 04:58PM

Interesting, isn't it.

The group that is now "don't call us Mormons" is whining about another group being called that.

We're not Mormons but they REALLY are not Mormons so don't call them that because it is reserved for us even though we are not them?

Posted by: ilovecoffee ( )
Date: November 26, 2019 09:20PM

Irony is lost on these folks. More concerned with distancing themselves from those who practiced the original "doctrines" of their own "prophet" than they are with loss of human life.

Point out the irony to them, expect a barely literate, wall 'o text, vicious insult.

Sociopathic much?

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: November 28, 2019 07:57PM

I use the word Mormon (sometimes loudly) in public whenever the cult comes up in a conversation in the hope it pisses off any TBM's within earshot.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.