Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: November 15, 2019 02:56PM

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mormon-leader-didn-t-leave-170636170.html

“The reality there is we didn’t really leave them; they kind of left us,” said M. Russell Ballard, a member of a top governing panel of the church called the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. “The direction they were going was not consistent to what we feel our youth need to have...to survive in the world that lies ahead for them.”

mormon reality = "didn't really" and "kind of". Now that's solid!

Uh, Russ.....it's their organization, they set the course for it. If you don't like the course they set, you can leave, which you did. They don't set the course as dictated or after approval by the mormon church.

Holy merit badge! They spin everything!

Lets try it this way Russticle.....

“The reality there is we didn’t really leave them; they kind of left us,” said Roy G Biv, a former member of the mormon church. “The direction they were going was not consistent to what we feel our family needs to have...to survive in the world that lies ahead for them.”

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: kingherodcosell ( )
Date: November 16, 2019 08:33AM

Ballard sucks!

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 19, 2019 03:44PM

He sucks exhaustingly. Russell M. "Edsel" Ballard.

"The aim was right, but the target moved"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edsel

How did this budding prophet, seer, and revelator get that wrong?

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: November 19, 2019 04:17PM

Elder Berry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> He sucks exhaustingly. Russell M. "Edsel"
> Ballard.
>
> "The aim was right, but the target moved"
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edsel
>
> How did this budding prophet, seer, and revelator
> get that wrong?

Edsel and mormonism

"After being unveiled to the public, they were considered to be unattractive, overpriced, and overhyped."

Date: November 19, 2019 04:22PM

Mormonism - proving breeding customers is their best retention option for a couple of hundred years more.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: November 16, 2019 10:11AM

In other words....
"We feel the need to control every aspect of our young men's lives & certainly don't want them exposed to ideas that are different than what we want them to believe."

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: November 16, 2019 10:25AM

I work with a woman who has been heavily involved with Scouting for decades. She always brings the troops to practice the flag on our Flag Pole.

She indicated many times that they never considered the Mormon Scouts to be real scouts. Said the Mormon Eagle program is watered down to make sure they can all get one and they don't participate with the rest at camps but stay to themselves. Interestingly she always used the term LDS instead of Mormon.

Don't know myself, but thought I'd pass that along.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: November 16, 2019 10:26AM

This is in SoCal BTW.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 16, 2019 02:36PM

It's true.

I don't think Mormon troops ever really coordinated with other troops. But I remember clearly that 10 or 15 years ago the Eagle Scout projects were done on a ward basis, with really simple projects that were supported strongly by the congregation. I remember when a few scouts did virtually the same project sequentially.

I can't remembers anything specific, but some of them were along the lines of raising money for a scout activity or getting some people to register to vote. Kimball would have been proud: every Scout an Eagle.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: November 17, 2019 09:35AM

I remember 2 eagle scout projects.

1) He build hygiene kits. He asked the ward to donate soap, tooth paste,...
He made those kits and donated them to a homeless shelter.

In my opinion his mother did most of the work. I remember his mother getting up in Relief Society and saying to please donate some hygiene articles to help her son with his eagle project.

2) Another Scout build wood benches for his school.
Once again the ward members helped a lot with the building of the benches. His mother was very involved in it. This Scout became an eagle Scout at age 14. My husband was Scoutmaster for their troop and said he has a 14 year old eagle Scout who can't even start a fire.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 17, 2019 01:50PM

Yes, subeam, this is exactly the sort of thing I remember. The mothers and the ward did the bulk of the work in what were ridiculously simple projects.

The one additional point I remember is different scouts doing basically the same hygiene kits for different recipient organizations. It was like missions, in which missionaries basically falsified their numbers.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: November 17, 2019 06:57PM

After several Scouts used the Hygiene kits as eagle scout project the bishop finally put an end to the hygiene kits and said that could do Hygiene kits as a merit badge but no longer as an eagle project.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: November 16, 2019 12:08PM

It was very clear to me, just from reading what was written in the media and from what church leaders said, what happened to the mormon church's relationship with the Boy Scouts organization. There were annoyances over the years, things the church would have put up with indefinitely. But when the Scouting organization reaffirmed that they would not discriminate against gay scout leaders, that was not negotiable to the church. If the church would have spoken honestly at that point, their words would have said "...if you won't discriminate against gay scout leaders, then we're out of here". Even a straight guy like myself (who would have not been affected) couldn't help but to notice that happening.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 16, 2019 05:11PM

I wonder if another factor was the decision of the Scouts to admit girls.

Date: November 19, 2019 04:16PM

Bingo.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 16, 2019 02:28PM

Mormonism has Always been Fantasy over Reality, Rhetoric over substance.

Those don't need watering down, do they?

Posted by: invinoveritas ( )
Date: November 17, 2019 08:49AM

"They left us", and so should everyone else as far as I'm concerned.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: November 17, 2019 10:19AM

Of course the BSA left them. Just like everyone else who cares about honesty, progress, justice, and compassion has left, and will continue to leave them. LDS, Inc. just has a nothing to offer anymore. They certainly lost the “family values” debate.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 17, 2019 12:17PM

I didn't leave LD$ Inc.
LD$ Inc. left me.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: November 17, 2019 03:24PM

The direction the church is going is not consistent with what I feel my family needs to have.

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: November 19, 2019 03:21PM

Echo Dave. Except, the rude awakening that the church was never really there for me. My eyes opened and they were gone. Guess I am lucky compared to many of you, who just can't shake 'em.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.