Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 18, 2019 10:09AM

"A YouGov survey of more than 8,000 American adults suggested last year that as many as one in six Americans are not entirely certain the world is round, while a 2019 Datafolha Institute survey of more than 2,000 Brazilian adults indicated that 7% of people in that country reject that concept, according to local media."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/16/us/flat-earth-conference-conspiracy-theories-scli-intl/index.html

Read it and weep.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: 2 lazy 2 log in ( )
Date: November 18, 2019 10:24AM

It would be illuminating to see the geographical distribution, religious affiliation and political preferences of that 1/6 of 'Mericans.

Posted by: ptbarnum ( )
Date: November 18, 2019 10:43AM

I'd like to see how many of them also score high on, or outright meet diagnostic criteria for Schizotypal or Paranoid Personality Disorder.

The net has been a catalyst for alternative/socially antagonistic behavior and people who suffer from mental illness or disordered personality are vulnerable to others who will validate their delusions and mirror their fears. It's just more cult mindset "critical mass" with an interesting, um, "spin".

I also think there are a lot of enabling trolls who just participate for the sake of stirring the pot.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: November 20, 2019 03:03AM

ptbarnum Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'd like to see how many of them also score high
> on, or outright meet diagnostic criteria for
> Schizotypal or Paranoid Personality Disorder.
>
> The net has been a catalyst for
> alternative/socially antagonistic behavior and
> people who suffer from mental illness or
> disordered personality are vulnerable to others
> who will validate their delusions and mirror their
> fears. It's just more cult mindset "critical mass"
> with an interesting, um, "spin".
>
> I also think there are a lot of enabling trolls
> who just participate for the sake of stirring the
> pot.

I'm inclined to agree.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 18, 2019 12:31PM

I found it interesting (and hilarious) that there are3 apparently two competing flat-earth organizations. The nice thing about the tin-foil hat crowd is that they are often too busy excommunicating each other for some imagined infraction that they can never really grow very big.

When I read stories like this, my first reaction is that this is really just some sort of role-playing elaborate joke. They can't really be serious. But as I read the articles, it sounds like they are in fact serious. The amount of science and evidence that you would have to dismiss to accept a flat earth is just mind boggling. Changing season (the tilt of the earth), orbiting GPS and communications satellites, video from the Space Station, flying to Russia or even India going straight over the North Pole, etc.

And yes, the Flat-Earthers tend to buy into the other things that require tin-foil hats. Hey, if you've already got the hat, why not.

I think ptbarnum is on to something. There are enough people who seem quite capable of dismissing extremely well established facts, and yet have no trouble swallowing complete nonsense (the oceans don't drain off the edge of the flat earth because Antarctica is actually a giant wall of ice surrounding all of the flat earth), that it must be some sort of mental disorder. And they walk among us. :-/

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 18, 2019 12:49PM

And they vote.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 18, 2019 12:52PM

Sometimes more than once.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: November 18, 2019 01:48PM

Date: November 18, 2019 01:56PM

I was referring to the "millions" of illegal immigrants who, according to our glorious leader, voted multiple times in the Soviet Republic of California.

Those jokers would cheat at a nursing home Bingo game!

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: November 19, 2019 06:15AM

“ptbarnum is on to something”

Yes. TSCC is hardly doomed.

Posted by: Pierre Delecto ( )
Date: November 18, 2019 02:09PM

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: November 18, 2019 03:17PM

if the earth is not flat OPie ~

¿ then why is the sun and moon appear to be the same size OPie ? ~

in b 4 ~ Genesis 1:16 ~

IN 4 answers ~

in b 4 ~ science ~

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: November 18, 2019 04:47PM

If you do not think it is flat try walking across the Sonoran desert

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
> "A YouGov survey of more than 8,000 American
> adults suggested last year that as many as one in
> six Americans are not entirely certain the world
> is round, while a 2019 Datafolha Institute survey
> of more than 2,000 Brazilian adults indicated that
> 7% of people in that country reject that concept,
> according to local media."
>
>
> https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/16/us/flat-earth-confe
> rence-conspiracy-theories-scli-intl/index.html
>
> Read it and weep.

Date: November 18, 2019 11:50PM

thedesertrat1 Wrote:
> If you do not think it is flat try walking across
> the Sonoran desert
>
You can discern the curvature of the Earth with the naked eye on the Bonneville Salt Flats.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: November 19, 2019 02:04PM

caffiend Wrote:
> thedesertrat1 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > If you do not think it is flat try walking
> across
> > the Sonoran desert
> >
> You can discern the curvature of the Earth with
> the naked eye on the Bonneville Salt Flats.
A joke dude A joke

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: November 18, 2019 09:21PM

When it's ligh where I live, I sometimes talk with my friend who lives in Africa, about 13 hours time difference; she tells me It's dark there while we're talking.

Game Over.

Posted by: TX_Rancher ( )
Date: November 20, 2019 12:18AM

Agreed, lol!

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: November 20, 2019 03:08AM

unless your friend in Africa is in on the conspiracy

(joking)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2019 03:08AM by scmd1.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: November 19, 2019 01:24AM

For flat-earthers, is the flat Earth's moon flat, too ? Hubcaps whirling in space? ?

And if it's flat, why is it still always a flat circular thing ? Like in those flat-Earth illustrations ? Why not some cool shape like California ?

Does the sun just hang out under the Earth at night or does it keep skimming in a straight line overhead, across another plane, like flat-Mars, then it does one of those olympic swimmer flip-arounds and heads back across while going in the other direction ... wait a minute--that wouldn't be right. That would goof up the east/west thing.

If this is all true, why did I spend all that time in college studying Astrology ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2019 01:27AM by kathleen.

Posted by: Les Patterson ( )
Date: November 19, 2019 06:11AM

There is actually a Flat Mars society, Kathleen, but I think it's satire.

Flat Earth has its factions, but some of them see the stars and Moon either as holes in the firmament, holograms etc.

The reason why Flat Earth theory gets so much publicity is because it is so obviously false, and it can be used as a stick to beat alternative viewpoints in general with. Worried about nuclear power or fracking? You must be a flat Earther too etc etc. But those laughing at it, are just as often prisoners of crazy belief systems, just ones with wider acceptance. I don't just mean religions.

Posted by: bobofitz ( )
Date: November 21, 2019 02:26PM

You took a lot of Astrology in college?

Date: November 21, 2019 02:38PM

Astronomy?

Date: November 21, 2019 04:12PM

Astrology. Was kidding. :D

Date: November 21, 2019 04:15PM

The inability to "get" a joke is in my stars.

Date: November 21, 2019 06:24PM

Aquarius?

(Also, thought to be the most intelligent sign. :). )

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2019 06:42PM by kathleen.

Posted by: Les Patterson ( )
Date: November 19, 2019 06:04AM

Flat Earth has been used as a straw man to mock non-mainstream viewpoints by association. If you question any orthodoxy in our society, you are linked with it or the tinfoil hat wearers.

Date: November 19, 2019 08:04AM

Sort of the pseudo-scientific parallel to Godwin's Law--bringing up Hitler in a political argument.

What's the inverse of the Virtue By Association fallacy--"Repudiation by Association?" Except this form of invective invariably involves hyperbole. (How's that for assonance?)

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: November 19, 2019 07:08PM

Brazilians believing in Flat Earth isn't new. I was there from November 1968 to November 1970 and we would run into many Brasileiros who wanted to make sure we knew that the earth is flat.

Occasionally they were the same people who told us that the moon landing was fake. Our zone leaders et al said "Just don't respond to them".... which was easier said than done.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: November 20, 2019 12:29AM

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 20, 2019 12:36AM

I grew up around Americans. I worked with Americans. That sounds about right to me.

Posted by: Backseater ( )
Date: November 23, 2019 01:33PM

In 1969 when the Apollo 10 mission was orbiting the moon and sending back breathtaking pictures, some enterprising reporter in England interviewed the president of the British Flat Earth Society. This worthy individual stated that it was interesting that the Earth "appeared" to be round from some vantage points in space--but he knew better, of course.
I couldn't find anything current on the British Flat Earth Society, but there are now several national societies--including Canada and Italy--and at least one international. The international one originated in Britain and may be the one I remember; or a later development or spinoff.
"The Flat Earth Society's most recent planet model is that humanity lives on a disc, with the North Pole at its centre and a 150-foot (45 m) high wall of ice, Antarctica, at the outer edge. The resulting map resembles the symbol of the United Nations, which Johnson [the society president] used as evidence for his position. In this model, the Sun and Moon are each 32 miles (52 km) in diameter."
Perhaps not surprisingly, Flat-Earthers are also often involved with various biblical literalism and conspiracy movements.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_flat_Earth_societies
Also it's well known that the great detective Sherlock Holmes did not know the Earth went round the Sun until Doctor Watson told him, and then immediately resolved to forget it because it had no relevance for his profession.
Cheers.

Date: November 23, 2019 01:38PM

The British Flat Earth Society floated off the edge and was never heard from again.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: November 23, 2019 04:17PM

Sadly, half of my family are flat earthers.

In my opinion, the main cause is their strong right-wing, anti-government and anti-science mentality, as well as their religious inclinations. In their mind, if “the government” or “scientists” promote an idea, it is probably wrong. Since scientists and the government promote a global earth, then it’s probably a conspiracy and thus the flat earth is probably correct.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: November 23, 2019 07:12PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.