Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: November 25, 2019 08:30PM

I told her, "Wow, that's gotta be the most arrogant statement I have ever heard."
She didn't care much for that response and said I was twisting her words. But she told me it didn't matter how good somebody was if they didnt get baptized by somebody with authority they wouldn't get into heaven.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 25, 2019 08:43PM

I guess I would give that a very dry, "How fortunate for you." I don't know how you even begin to reach such people.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: November 25, 2019 10:25PM

They are so lucky that Peter, James and John came down and restored the proper authority to a lying, womanizing creep.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: November 25, 2019 09:10PM

This is something I don't like about mormondom as well. That they look down on other religions and tell people they will go to lesser kingdoms. That's the message they present at GC. Forget about teaching actual christianity, or good sound wisdom. It's all about filling out a check list of to do's. Mormons think they own special rights to the gospel and everyone else is lost. They've imagined up a gospel of works not grace.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: November 27, 2019 11:49PM

When I was a Christian, we sure as shit looked down on other religions. Hell, we were Baptists and we looked down on other Baptists. My grandmother was an Evangelical Lutheran, the only right Lutheran.

The unifying thing about religions is that they all claim to be the the way, the truth, and the life. Madness.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2019 11:18PM by Beth.

Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: November 25, 2019 09:22PM

Well that Sis Missionary may just have a legitimate point for a change!

Behind the scenes Mother Theresa was a very different individual than how her public personna was created and portrayed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YorAQ25ESrM

Just in case you weren't aware of that!

Or so it seems to me...

Posted by: oldpobot ( )
Date: November 25, 2019 11:48PM

Yes - one of my friends worked with her in Calcutta for a while and found her not to be so 'saintly'.

On the evidence available, I would say the missionary would be about equally worthy of heaven as Mother Theresa.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: November 26, 2019 02:53AM

Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: November 28, 2019 03:30PM

Yeah, Mother Theresa was kind of a piece of shit. But, it does sound like your missionary was equally self promotional.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: November 26, 2019 03:42PM

BeenThereDunnThatExMo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well that Sis Missionary may just have a
> legitimate point for a change!
>
> Behind the scenes Mother Theresa was a very
> different individual than how her public personna
> was created and portrayed.

The Nobel Committee should strip that conniving BITCH Mother Theresa of her Nobel Prize based upon this information!!!

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: November 29, 2019 04:11AM

She very much believed in the strict Catholic practice that suffering is a good thing. She withheld a lot of care from people on the belief that their suffering would bring them closer to Christ. Penn and Teller did a great video about her as well.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 25, 2019 09:47PM

These types of thoughts & statements highlight the essence of Mormonism;

We're / I'm better than (X). Will anyone boo this over-blown ego /id? I'll never know individually, but this is clearly the stuff of Joey Myth his successors & followers;

If this isn't disgusting, Nothing Is.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: November 26, 2019 12:34AM

I think if Heaven is full of uptight, arrogant Mormons, I’d rather be in Hell.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: November 26, 2019 12:45AM

knotheadusc Wrote:
> I think if Heaven is full of uptight, arrogant
> Mormons, I’d rather be in Hell.

Exactly!

I thought that during the many church lessons about the 3 kingdoms in my youth. One quote used to scare the bejesus out of me was the one from BY; something that the CK would be exactly how it was set up within the church.

I hated my church life as a young man. I resented the church leaders and how members belittled, mistreated and abused others. I had already been told (over and over) that my family was not going to be together due to my siblings' apostasy so I didn't care at that point.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: November 26, 2019 01:09AM

I don't get where any Mormon or practicing Christian gets off in thinking he or she is in a position to determine anyone's worthiness for heaven as a whole or for any individual kingdom supposedly comprising heaven. I thought the scriptures were pretty clear on that being God's decision. I know about the "Common Judge in Israel" nonsense, but even that authority, if it were real, would not kick in until the next world.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: November 26, 2019 09:52AM

The essential premise of Christianity is that no one is worthy hence the need for a rescuer.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 26, 2019 01:49PM

Yes, but it is also a basic tenet of Christianity that God is the only one who can judge a person's soul.

That, I believe, is what scmd was saying.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: November 26, 2019 02:36PM

Agreed in that God alone is the ultimate judge.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: November 27, 2019 10:47PM

"8/For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, 9/not a result of works, so that no one may boast. 10/For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them." (Ephesians 2:8-10 ESV)

The way I see it, Grace is God's offer of salvation (eternal life), to save us from our predicament (mortality/death/sin). That's His part of the process. Faith is our accepting that. If our faith is authentic (quality, not quantity), then (v.10) it will be manifested in our works.

So (acknowledging I do not know their hearts), Sister Missionary and Mother Theresa both err, but in different ways. Sister Mish is placing her faith in the power of her church's priesthood (soteriology), and Mother Tess seems to be placing her faith in her good works.

I put my faith in Christ, but I also have faith that God is just.

Date: November 26, 2019 01:14AM

I'm glad I grew up Presbyterian. I didn't have any religious issues as a kid, other than being bullied by other kids in my church. But there was no weird abuse from church leaders or arrogant posturing as to who would be getting into Heaven. A Mormon version of Heaven sounds just awful to me.

Date: November 28, 2019 11:25PM

But the youth group took me skiing for the first time, so that was cool. I played Risk for the first time. That was cool as well. I also stayed up all night for the first time. Extremely cool.

But the Poconos. meh

Date: November 29, 2019 03:18AM

Just out of curiosity... was it a PCA church? Because the Presbyterian Church of America is more "fire and brimstone", akin to the Southern Baptists. I have a bunch of relatives from Georgia who are PCA and they are super religious. I grew up in the much more moderate PCUSA church, which is more like run of the mill Methodism with a dash of Scottish whimsy and Calvinsim.

Of course, the church I grew up going to is no longer PCUSA because of the gay marriage issue.

;)

Date: November 30, 2019 01:12AM

https://www.tenth.org/

At least it’s pretty. James Boyce was the pastor when I went there, and a highlight was when C. Everett Koop came to speak. Blech

I never saw the church as full as it is in that photo. Must’ve been a holiday. Damn good choir. Plenty of things to look at while ignoring the sermon.

:)

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: November 26, 2019 02:49AM

How does she know that she was baptized by somebody with authority? Because somebody claiming to have authority told her?

Ultimately, it's just some ordinary guys who claim they have authority without any evidence whatsoever to back up their claims.

I can claim right now that God appeared to me and gave me the only real authority to baptize people. Doesn't make it true, but I can make that claim.

Some guy once sat in a chair while some other guys stuck their hands on his head and pretended to be giving him "authority". All the guys who pretended to be giving him authority also got their "authority" the same way, i.e. from other guys sticking their hands on his head and claiming to give him authority. It's like a game of Dungeons and Dragons, except that the players don't realize that it's all just fantasy.

Then there's the problem that most (if not all) trace their authority back to Brigham Young or some of his contemporaries, who were leaders at a time when Brigham Young was telling everyone that some guy who wasn't god was god. How can you claim to have authority to act for god when the leaders you trace your authority back to didn't know who god was? It's a conundrum for thinking people.

Date: November 26, 2019 03:19AM

Mormonism is true if you believe it, false if you don’t. You have to live your whole life as a child to fit into this world of make believe. You and your friends live with Peter Pan Nelson in Neverland. Your magic underwear is impregnated with pixie dust. Captain Stan Hook is always out to get you.

Joseph was such a good storyteller because he believed his own BS. It seems mental illness is a great asset for a prophet. His followers believed his BS with him because his crazy made up world seemed better than the crazy real world. Maybe Mormonism’s downfall is that the world is losing its insanity. A sane world has no place for Mormonism.

So maybe Mormonism is for some people. If you were abused or neglected as a child, so that you want to live in a childlike world as an adult instead of healing your dysfunction through counseling, Mormonism may be for you. But then you drag your kids into it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2019 03:41AM by babyloncansuckit.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: November 26, 2019 03:06AM

The worst manipulation that missionaries used to prove "challenging" investigators that their baptism was worthless was to tell a dumb story about an ice cream truck pulling over a motorist to issue a speeding ticket. The rationale was that Good Humor had no authority to do that and only a lying POS aka JS would have god's authority to act in his name.

Well it's beyond stupid to tell somebody of a different faith that their experiences are worthless. Yet, this was specifically scripted in the church discussions to resolve doubts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2019 03:09AM by messygoop.

Date: November 26, 2019 03:27AM

You don’t trust the deep life wisdom of an 18 year old? Their name tag does say “Elder”.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: November 26, 2019 07:21AM

Adolf Hitler was baptised for the dead several times in several different temples so I assume mother Theresa has been baptised too.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2112157/Mormon-baptism-dead-Church-shuts-access-list-people-posthumously-baptised.html

The sister missionary was probably only 19 years old. At that age I knew nothing about JS polyandry and things like that. My hope for this sister missionary is that the mission will "open her eyes so that she can see".

Posted by: whoknew ( )
Date: November 26, 2019 10:42AM

Sadly enough, Mother Theresa would probably have agreed with her. I've read enough of her writings to know that she was aware of her weakness, and how dependent she felt she was on grace. Something, this sister missionary should learn something about. If you subscribe to the Christian world view, you should know that no one is worthy of heaven, everyone is bound for hell without the grace of God. I would have said to this young lady, "So on your own merits you get to set just inside the door of hell while Mother Theresa would be firmly inside? Is that what you're saying?"

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 26, 2019 01:26PM

Mother Theresa was an absolute scum bag.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 26, 2019 01:37PM

She would have made an excellent Mormon with her suffering is a way to salvation plan.

“Pain and suffering have come into your life, but remember pain, sorrow, suffering are but the kiss of Jesus – a sign that you have come so close to Him that He can kiss you.”
– Mother Teresa
https://www.vaticansite.com/st-mother-teresa-quotes-about-suffering/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2019 01:38PM by Elder Berry.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 26, 2019 03:23PM

I kissed Jesus and didn't like it.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: November 28, 2019 08:51AM

Was it the taste of cherry chapstick? I hate cherry chapstick.

Posted by: moremany-LO-high-NLI ( )
Date: November 27, 2019 10:07PM

Mormons are known to be dumb.

A dated a dummy once. That was me.

Got smart again.
She's still she.

Once again I'M FREE.

Just trying to be.

Me

M@t

A God to be
Or Not To Be

_She

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: November 27, 2019 11:22PM

When I was ordained a deacon someone told me I now had more power than the Pope!...kinda heady stuff for a 12 year old....didn't take long before I was "meh"....just didn't care.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2019 03:37PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: November 28, 2019 07:58PM

schrodingerscat Wrote:
> I told her, "Wow, that's gotta be the most
> arrogant statement I have ever heard."
> She didn't care much for that response and said I
> was twisting her words. But she told me it didn't
> matter how good somebody was if they didnt get
> baptized by somebody with authority they wouldn't
> get into heaven.
Talk about MIND CONTROL!!!

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: November 28, 2019 10:18PM

So common, makes me sick. Narcissistic homophobic judgmental bigots who are so worried about getting the temple work done for their dead family members who were good caring people, because you know, gotta make sure those good people will get to be with the cruel people who have had the super secret endowment.

Date: November 29, 2019 02:53AM

They’re too busy getting to heaven to live life on Earth. And they’re paying 10% on gross earnings for the privilege because due diligence is wrong.

What a racket. John Gotti would be proud. Or maybe not, the Mafia is probably above doing that to people.

Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: November 29, 2019 02:48PM

I had the missionaries tell me Mother Theresa was going to hell because she was Catholic and not a mormon.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: December 02, 2019 10:14AM

This reminds of something.

I saw a guy cruising along I-15 with his standard LDS, Inc. Dale Parsons picture of Jesus mounted on the dashboard of his Lexus--oh the irony was rich.

I honestly had a hard time with this kind of thing when I was Mormon. During my mission we volunteered at a place that cared for severely disabled people run by the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Germany. I wondered if we could truly expect to go to heaven while the people working at that facility dedicating their lives to such service could be on the outside looking in, because they didn't believe in the Book of Mormon.

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: December 03, 2019 01:33PM

Guess when all you have ever known is this tiny tiny pond, you are, indeed, the biggest toad ever, dearie

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.