Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Warrior71783 ( )
Date: November 26, 2019 04:32PM

We are all strange and different which i think is a good thing. I've never seen or met a solid or ideal human in my entire life. I transport people for a living so i see all different types of humans and not one is the same, not one, which is good. There is and never was a normal person. The normal person never existed to aspire to become. I don't know a nerve really got hit the other day from a human that thought and voiced that he was better than me in some way because of my inexperience in a certain area of life. The guy does not even have a car and has to tag along for rides and he was trying to put me in my place. I could have easily put him in his place for having no vehicle at his age but i did not. But yea no person is normal. I can point out any flaw of any human within minutes of being around one and they can point out my flaws within minutes so lets get over ourselves that we are some normal ideal human that has the power to demean and make fun of other humans.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: November 26, 2019 04:58PM

>> "I can point out any flaw of any human within minutes of being around one and they can point out my flaws within minutes so lets get over ourselves that we are some normal ideal human that has the power to demean and make fun of other humans."

Normal has nothing to do with not having flaws or demeaning others. In that respect, and by definition, we're all rather normal.

nor·mal

adjective
conforming to a standard; usual, typical, or expected.

noun
the usual, average, or typical state or condition.

Date: November 26, 2019 05:46PM

Everyone is very different. There is no sameness in personality or attitude that i have seen. So normal is thrown out the window. I've never even had the same conversation with the same person twice. Even the individual person is changing at all times. It is a crazy thing to witness. Everyone thinls there is some sameness and some normalcy but there isn't. No one does things exactly like you. You have your own way of doing things. And no one thinks exactly like you either.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: November 27, 2019 02:49AM

Maybe this is a matter of semantics. I don't have the absolute answer to this, but is it possible that normalcy does indeed exist for some purposes, but that it exists in the form of a very broad continuum or range as opposed to a narrowly defined set of characteristics or qualifications?

Perhaps what a person feels or experiences is "normal" considering his or her particular history and circumstances even if it would not be "normal" for someone whose history and circumstances differ.

If the concept of "normal" is used with the intent of causing one person to feel "less than" while simultaneously allowing someone else to feel better about himself or herself, such is pointless and is a misuse of any purpose for the concept of "normalcy."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2019 02:58AM by scmd1.

Date: November 27, 2019 03:20PM

You've always been smarter than I haha. Probably why you are a doctor and i am just a transporter.

Date: November 27, 2019 11:29PM

Smarts come in many different forms. We all have strengths and weaknesses.

Posted by: Whistler in the Wind ( )
Date: December 05, 2019 06:13AM

Warrior71783 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Everyone is very different. There is no sameness
> in personality or attitude that i have seen. So
> normal is thrown out the window. I've never even
> had the same conversation with the same person
> twice. Even the individual person is changing at
> all times. It is a crazy thing to witness.
> Everyone thinls there is some sameness and some
> normalcy but there isn't. No one does things
> exactly like you. You have your own way of doing
> things. And no one thinks exactly like you
> either.

I wish I could believe this. Yes, every person is slightly different, but many of them are not very different. I see a lot of people out there who look the same, dress the same, and act the same. The differences between some of them are minimal.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 26, 2019 06:02PM

People that feel the need to demean you to your face are usually not feeling great about themselves to begin with. They are trying to build themselves up by putting you down.

As a psychologist friend of mine once said, "Everyone has holes in their socks."

Date: November 26, 2019 06:10PM

I learned later that the guy putting me down was being restrained from seeing his son on his birthday that day and was drinking excessive ly more than normal to handle his feelings about the situation.

Posted by: ptbarnum ( )
Date: November 26, 2019 08:59PM

That guy's a not particularly stellar example of intelligence or success, or "normalcy", I'm thinking. It's real sad about his kid, but life's rough all over. If that guy hasn't learned to deal with bad stuff happening without getting drunk and being rude to someone doing him a service, well, he has some coconuts to try to make you feel less than. Who's he think he is, Kal-el from Krypton? I've got news, we all just jumped up monkeys around here, and unlike him, we're only joking when we blame the chair after passing gas.

It never feels good when people try to steal your worth to prop up their own, but those kind of people...ignore them, they are not normal. :-)

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 26, 2019 06:11PM

Everyone also has a hole somewhere in their nether regions as well not so low.

Posted by: desertwoman ( )
Date: November 26, 2019 08:56PM

Perhaps, instead of the word "Normal", it would be better to use the word "typical".

Date: November 26, 2019 09:14PM

There is no normal but there is common courtesy and sanity that i think we should strive for.

Posted by: bspcnot ( )
Date: November 27, 2019 03:33PM

Stereotypical? Do you believe that there is some truth to stereotypes?

Posted by: bspcnot ( )
Date: November 27, 2019 03:37PM

One can measure any attribute of a person and compare it with others in a population to determine if that person fits into a normal distribution. Around 97% of any population fits in to 3 standard deviations above and below the mean (aka norm). Only 3 % are outliers.

I don't know if it is possible to measure every attribute of a person but you could try, at least in a physical sense like height, weight, hair color, sex, age, how fast they can run or walk or jump or batting average or how many free throws they can make in a row.

Date: November 27, 2019 06:33PM

If normallity was measured in free throw percentage, then most of the population would be abnormal.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: November 26, 2019 09:29PM

The worst thing in the planet is to be seen as normal which just means boring---the worst thing you can be. I was just reading about someone who called themselves a "hot mess, and, a masterpiece." Yin and Yang. You need both to be interesting, which is the goal. Sometimes the opposites attracting that make sparks are just the left and the right side of your brain.

Date: November 27, 2019 03:36PM

I'm a wildcard and i get that but i like that about myself. I'm not dangerous nor do i want to hurt anybody but i do not like being put down to my face. I know i still have insecurities that i need to overcome to not let being cut down to my face get to me. I knew as i seriously tried to become more involved in society that this would be a risk of being made fun of and i need to accept that this will happen more as i am in public more. Bullying is damaging and long-lasting even into adult years the scars remain i have learned. I have nerves that i did not even know i had on certain subjects. I need to watch myself also because i know i am at risk of being an abuser or a bully and i have fallen into that trap of becoming a cyber bully before.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: November 26, 2019 10:36PM

You don’t really know what you’re on the planet for. I was thinking today of entertainers who left their mark, like Ed Harris and Celine Dion. Nobody has done what they did the way they did it. Maybe their special thing was meant to be, just much more visible than the special thing that all of us have. The thing that would be missed if we weren’t here.

I don’t think most people realize how special being born is. The competition to get here has got to be intense, but here you are. A living miracle in the miracle of being on a planet that’s a miracle of creation. There’s a million ways we shouldn’t be here. This isn’t luck. It’s a gift. A wonderful gift.

Life is so fleeting. To have Mormons profane it with their afterlife fetish is truly disgusting. But I suppose everybody’s got to make a buck.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2019 10:36PM by babyloncansuckit.

Date: November 27, 2019 03:39PM

I like the way you think babylon. It always makes sense to me for some reason.

Date: November 27, 2019 06:37PM

The strong focus on the afterlife bothered me greatly as well. It is incredibly unhealthy to think of the afterlife as much as they do. It causes suicidal ideation to get past this life to get to the better life. I know this from my own experience. If you always talk about the afterlife and the better kingdom you are going to then it will make you suicidal and look past this life.

Posted by: AnonInCali ( )
Date: November 27, 2019 12:20AM

Normal is a setting in a washing machine.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 27, 2019 03:07PM

The church likes to call Mormons "a peculiar people." That doesn't do wonders for my self confidence.

Date: November 27, 2019 03:40PM

Hahahahaha indeed

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: November 27, 2019 09:48PM

They’d be eccentric, but the church took all their money.

Posted by: jay ( )
Date: November 27, 2019 04:28PM

Do you mean like how Roy G Biv revealed his flaws by choosing to correct you instead of understanding your point?

It’s often a choice we face and the governor chose to condemn.

Date: November 27, 2019 06:50PM

I don't remember this Roy guy being here last time i was on the board like 7 months ago. He's an engineer like my uncle was thats all i know. I've been told that i should be an engineer for a lot of my adult life but i never wanted to be and it annoyed me greatly to be told that i should be something that i had no desire to be. When my uncle retired he was very lost and confused on what to do with himself and i did not want that to happen to me. Without the corporation my uncle was literally nothing but an annoyance for his wife everyday. It was bad.

Date: November 27, 2019 07:00PM

My uncle who was the engineer does condemn me though for resigning. Thinks i am going to hell while he stands at the right hand of god somewhere. It was rough because i thought he was a moral and good man. I firmly believe you can not be a good man and support that operation. The operation will corrode any good you ever had in you without you even realizing it.

Date: November 27, 2019 11:39PM

I don't want to bad-mouth all engineers. They're no more likely to be identical than are any other group of people. Still, I will say that my personal experience with engineers is that many of them think in terms of one way, method, or whatever being right and everything else being wrong. If an engineer is a religious person, then, he might naturally carry this one-right-way process into his approach toward religion. This works especially well with the COJCOLDS, which already operates under the mindset that it is the one right way of worshiping and the one true path to God, heaven, and exaltation.

There's probably nothing you could ever say or do that would change your uncle's mind. You have to do what works for you, but if I were you, I would write him off and would see him only when there was no way of avoiding him.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: December 05, 2019 10:32AM

My husband was an engineer and a fellow engineer was joking with him one day and said that all engineers think they are gods because they are involved with every technology that has been created here, and all over the world.

In my husband's opinion, engineers do have brilliant minds, but the problem is when they get so egotistical and it creates conflict among them because each one thinks his or her way is the only way. That is how the leaders of TSCC think.

My husband's psychology professor said that between 70-80% of the population in the U.S. have psychological problems. That is in the U.S. alone, not to mention the rest of the world.

IMO, "normal" is someone who doesn't commit crimes, who has good intentions, and who contributes to our country for the betterment of our country,as well as themselves.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.