Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: snagglepuss ( )
Date: November 28, 2019 12:45AM

Stay at home with family (or away from them?) and let the nuts trash the stores on this most merry kickoff to Christmas.

https://www.daysoftheyear.com/days/buy-nothing-day/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: November 28, 2019 01:27AM

That's what we've done for the past four years and plan to do again this year.

Posted by: ptbarnum ( )
Date: November 28, 2019 02:05AM

Around the Barnum residence the day is called "Slack Friday" for a reason.

Posted by: exmnion ( )
Date: November 28, 2019 02:07AM

Does this mean I can't do Cyber Monday?

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 28, 2019 02:34AM

I've always thought that expressing thanks for all that we have, followed by having the biggest shopping day of the year the very next day had a delicious irony.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: November 28, 2019 03:56AM

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: November 28, 2019 08:54AM

I'm planning on buying nothing Friday and being thankful I don't work in retail. A retail job on Black Friday would mean: getting up extra early to set up the displays, drinking more caffeine than what a human should drink, dealing with stupid questions from my boss like, "Why are you wearing an Army helmet," and "WHY are there sandbag barriers in the store?!" And that wouldn't even be before the assault from the shoppers began.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: November 30, 2019 07:25PM

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: November 28, 2019 09:56AM

"Some organize a so-called “zombie walk”, during which all of the participating “zombies” lurch around stores, supermarkets and shopping malls aimlessly, buying nothing, and staring ahead blankly. This is used to raise awareness about Buy Nothing Day, as the “zombies” will inevitably be asked what they are doing and why, and then can proceed to explain their point of view."

Sounds like these folks are still in the rat race. They are contributing to the traffic jams, to say the least. Here in Utah the sales may be lower because of the snow, This is the most snow this weekend probably since 1992.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 28, 2019 10:45AM

You need to buy stuff on friday because a lot of retailers break even because of that day. 1-2-3 lets go shopping !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf-_vxsog4A

Posted by: doyle18 ( )
Date: November 28, 2019 01:31PM

That's what I do, as I've worked in retail on Black Friday so I've seen the crazies in action. Fortunately, my job is closed for a 4 day weekend, so I can relax after today's meal.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: November 28, 2019 10:39PM

It is for me...has been for a long time. I don't need anything bad enough to stand in line at 0 dark thirty for it.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: November 29, 2019 09:41AM

Look at what we exported across the world-
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10448541/black-friday-brawl-forever-21-pennsylvania-bargain-world/

I am a huge capitalist, but an even bigger proponent of family time, whenever you can fit it in w/your family.

Be thankful people. I know I am..

I, as well as everyone else I think, can wait to buy a TV or other electronics...

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 29, 2019 11:16AM

I'm spending the day at home with my family. I hate battling crowds. I also do a lot of my holiday shopping online now.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 29, 2019 01:47PM

I'm in.

Posted by: The original MOI! ( )
Date: November 29, 2019 07:00PM

Never did like or agree with America's new religion called Black Friday. I've watched the videos and seen the news and have come to the conclusion that all who partake of it are nothing but greed-hungry ASSHOLES without a brain in their damn heads. We have anything we need to buy available every day all year long. Why the crazy stampede just to get a bunch of junk that boosts China's ecomony? Trampling people to death or pulling guns and shooting others just for a cheap toaster? What the hell have we become?

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 30, 2019 07:23PM

Amen. That is one day I refuse to buy anything.

It's disgusting how much junk we buy that will end up in the ocean or landfills because it is new, better and on sale.
Consume, consume, consume. It's not good.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: November 29, 2019 08:52PM

Posted by: xxMo0 ( )
Date: November 29, 2019 09:57PM

what if i need milk

Posted by: snagglepuss ( )
Date: November 30, 2019 12:39AM

Is it on special markdown?

I used to work retail. With few exceptions, nearly all the merchandise is the same stuff on display all year long. Why people go nuts for the same old, same old at roughly the same year long prices, I'll never know. It's insanity. It astounded me that we'd change the corporate floor plan around and customers thought the same stock was "new."

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: November 30, 2019 10:22AM

Damn! Had only I known!

I had a prescription filled for my dog, bought some Nature’s Miracle for pet accidents bc it was on sale, bought cat food, and some salsa for myself. Maybe next year...

Date: November 30, 2019 10:42AM

I bought a protective case for my phone and a laser printer. But I needed them! And yes, I waited for the sales. Do I get absolution if I did it in my pajamas on-line?

Date: November 30, 2019 03:50PM

Snagglepus, forgive me!

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: November 30, 2019 03:43PM

I bought lunch.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: December 02, 2019 02:46PM

I did my first Black Friday this year. The local Wilco hardware store had farm clothing on sale, so I picked up some fleece lined jeans, a pair of Lacrosse insulated slip on rubber shoes, and a pair of thick socks. They had all 5 registers open and the line was quite long, but the nice warm stuff I bout was well worth it.

Went home, put on my new duds, chain sawed wood and stacked it outside in very cold weather.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: December 02, 2019 02:48PM

Wonder why The Mormon Prophet doesn't preach this.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: December 02, 2019 03:35PM

Black Tithing! Get huge discounts in heaven by paying up to 50% more tithing the day after Thanksgiving! And no lines....until you die and have to wait for everyone in front of you to remember all those tokens and signs to get in!

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: December 02, 2019 06:22PM

Paradoxically, Mormon leaders preach provident living and yet LDS outlets all look like they had Black Friday Sales and Cyber Monday deals.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.