Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 30, 2019 11:42AM

I post this mostly as a shout-out to our own Lethbridge Reprobate. The NYTimes ran a story on signature foods around Canada, and included this on Lethbridge:

Lethbridge, Alberta: This one may be more of a food obituary. The Crazy Cakes Bakery claimed to be the last shop in Canada still producing spudnuts: doughnuts made with potato flour. But about a month ago, it shut down.

Oh, the horror. Other foods mentioned: Nanaimo bars, saskatoon berry pies, butter tarts, pirogi, poutine, bannock, schmoo, fiddleheads, and donairs.

Yeah, I know - just what Americans need to hear more about this weekend - more food. :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 30, 2019 12:24PM

I always thought that Lethbridge was famous for its rattlesnakes.

When I was young I used to see kids walking around Salt Lake selling Spudnuts. I bought some. To me they tasted like regular donuts.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 30, 2019 12:41PM

I remember spudnuts. I thought it was just a name. I had no idea potato flour was involved. I still see potato bread. It just seems kind of soft - halfway between regular bread and cake.

A shout out to Winnipeg, where I lived for a few years - they have a bakery that has the best name ever - Baked Expectations.
(pun on Dickens' Great Expectations). It opened in 1985 in Osborne Village, and is still going strong. Their website has a picture of a Shmoo Tort
https://www.bakedexpectations.ca

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: November 30, 2019 12:50PM

I've lived here all my life and have never seen or heard a live one...and that's just fine!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 30, 2019 01:10PM

Date: November 30, 2019 12:48PM

It was a summer tradition for a bunch of us farm kids to go swimming at the Civic Centre pool and the head for The Spudnut Shop across the street for spudnuts and double decker ice cream cones. Thanks for posting this. Good times and great memories.

Posted by: The original MOI! ( )
Date: December 01, 2019 10:50AM

I was in the MERC the other day and damn near dropped when I looked down and saw a display box of Cuban Lunch bars again. All in wrapping just like the original of days gone by.

Date: December 01, 2019 12:31PM

They are made up in Camrose. I love em...maybe too much...and...does the oh so Mormon MERC sell coffee? Been ages since I was in there.

Posted by: The original MOI! ( )
Date: December 02, 2019 10:59AM

Yup, the MERC sells coffee and tea. Also the shitty substitutes. They even sell the new Postum. Comes in a pop can sized jar, but costs $12. I loved the REAL Postum when I was but a lad. Back when it came in large jars for like, oh, $0.50? And I've heard today's 'Postum' is such crap it shouldn't even be called Postum.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: November 30, 2019 05:40PM

just not in Canada

https://spudnutinfo.com/

Posted by: ptbarnum ( )
Date: November 30, 2019 07:25PM

Mmmmmm poutine!
How is it possible to crave a food when I am eyeballs deep in food right now?

Posted by: dumbmormons ( )
Date: November 30, 2019 08:03PM

Pincher Creek is known for its beautiful women.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.