Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: five.o.charlie ( )
Date: November 30, 2019 12:23PM

So, I've been out of the church for a number of years, and ran across the second anointing again. One question is, after people get nominated by family/friends what happens to the people who were nominated? Do they automatically get the second anointing? Is there a screening process? Or is it because you were made a member of a godhead (you're essentially a god/goddess or whatever) TBM's who know you've had it aren't allowed to say no, like to a bishop or whatever?

The church screens everyone for everything, so I'm wondering if there's a screening process for this.

Also, are there any special perks when you're alive (aside from no more sins)? Sounds like a pretty good deal to me man. You could do anything you wanted to and still feel good about yourself. So maybe pot and booze are part of god's plan but only for those who receive the second anointing?

If I keep on like this I'll just start rambling,,,

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 30, 2019 02:36PM

They probably figure if you are soooooo righteous to have a 2nd anointing, you wouldn't WANT to do any bad stuff. I suppose a perk would be thinking you are sooooo special.

I don't know how they get selected, but I suspect their reputation would go up the priesthood food chain where they get known as someone deserving of the anointing.

Every once in a while they need to reward the highest initiates with a ritual. Religions usually have levels of rituals to reward loyalty and to provide "higher" knowledge. People eat that stuff up.

Date: November 30, 2019 04:58PM

dagny Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They probably figure if you are soooooo righteous
> to have a 2nd anointing, you wouldn't WANT to do
> any bad stuff.

That's what I always figured. Like, why did god create all those bad substances? Everything he created has a use except for cannabis, caffeine and other natural stimulants. That always bothered me. if there was bad stuff that was pleasurable, then wouldn't the ultra-righteous would be the ones that are spiritually pure enough to handle it. Therefore giving them permission to indulge. Just a thought I always had.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 30, 2019 02:41PM

Generally, the higher up a man is in the church, the more likely he is to get the second anointing (the wife gets to come along for the ride.) For the 1st quorum of the 70, it's probably a given. From reports, they start to look at a member when he is a MP or area 70. Church higher-ups ask for recommendations from those who have already had the 2A.

Posted by: Tom Phillips ( )
Date: December 01, 2019 05:55AM

I don't believe everyone who receives the 2A is asked to nominate others. I was asked because of the relationship I had with the Area President at the time.

That said all nominees would be vetted very closely before being invited.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 01, 2019 07:17AM

Were you a bishop at the time, Tom? (Thanks for weighing in, BTW.)

Posted by: Tom Phillips ( )
Date: December 01, 2019 03:45PM

I was Area Executive Secretary at the time. I had previously served as Bishop and Stake President.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: December 01, 2019 07:22AM

I don't know about pot or booze but it sure seems like there is a lot of graft and self enrichment going on.

Date: December 01, 2019 02:39PM

YES! Now that makes sense. Why on earth if we're supposed to be humble and remember the camel and the eye of the needle. Like, Jesus said so himself, rich people have a hard time getting into heaven. So if they have no sin (except the unpardonable sin) they could be as rich as they want and step on whomever gets in their way. FOR SHAME!

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: December 02, 2019 12:09PM

five.o.charlie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Like, Jesus said so
> himself, rich people have a hard time getting into
> heaven.

If there were a Jesus, I doubt that he said such crap as that.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: December 01, 2019 04:20PM

Hi Tom, have you ever been threatened by the church with excommunication, after your 2A ceremony, since you've stopped believing and have revealed your 2A secret? Do you feel bullet-proof from any possibility that you might be excommunicated? Do you use any restraint in what you say publicly for fear that you might be excommunicated? If you all-out attacked the church in the media, and gave away the signs and tokens as a taunt, do you think they would still ignore you?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2019 04:22PM by azsteve.

Posted by: Deb's son ( )
Date: December 08, 2019 01:48PM

Don't you think at least one factor would probably also be amount of tithing paid and if it was paid regularly over a number of years? That plus having proven a degree of loyalty over many years. A bit like the President's Club with corporate sales.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.