Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: December 01, 2019 02:18AM

Growing up in the Presbyterian church, I always enjoyed the traditions built around the Advent Season. The different -colored candles, the stories, and the special decorations that are placed on the tree. And the community in this charming little Pres. Church struck me as cosy, before.

I haven't set foot in ANY house of worship in ages, which is an accurate reflection of my non-belief, but this is part of who I was, at one time, and why shouldn't I enjoy it yet again?

We always felt welcome, despite spotty attendance, so I venture to return again.

I was more than a little shocked to realize that the Mormons had NOTHING that came anywhere close to Advent. Didn't even know what it was.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ptbarnum ( )
Date: December 01, 2019 02:56AM

I say go for it as long as it makes you happy. The second it turns into any kind of existential/salvation debate, whether with some well intentioned churchgoer or just internally, you can stop. If they get after your wallet, you can stop. Your life, you drive. Rituals can be very mood brightening, and I find something really resonant about rituals in winter. I love the bright lights of Christmas and the hibernation-like atmosphere of home lit with merriment and feasting during the long dark and cold nights, even though I don't believe we're celebrating the birth of the man-God avatar or anything. It's more primal than that.

If the candles and hopefulness, etc. brings you a happy heart, why not? Just remember not to check your brain at the door and there will be at least one person who sets your teeth on edge. :-)

Posted by: jujube ( )
Date: December 01, 2019 06:51PM

My daughters and I make the rounds Xmas eve to as many services as we can fit in as long as music is featured: We've gone to Catholic, Episcopalian, Disciples of Christ (great music and candle service!), and also attend Xmas productions at the "big box" churches (live camels and great organ music, xmas play). Not one of us is tempted to have organized religion in our lives again but it is fun to enjoy the customs as catnip said. We save the Catholic service for the lastest mass (sometimes at midnight). Next day, we have a nice Xmas dinner and gift exchange.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: December 02, 2019 11:24AM

A lot of people stay involved with their religion simply because of the traditions, music, rituals and whatnot. And, as Catnip demonstrates, some who aren't normally involved just like to have some of that stuff occasionally.

Meanwhile, ChurchCo has been stripping all that stuff from Mormon life, making "worship" sterile and lifeless — like unto themselves. I say keep at it, make it colder, less joyful, hollower until no one wants to be there.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: December 03, 2019 07:09PM

ya OPie ~

advent can be funn ~

ziller celebrated 1st December sunday by going out to buy a xmas tree with the whole dam fam ~

funn was had by all ~

errybody wanted to go Nov 30 but ziller insist on wait for Dec 1st Advent ~

10/10 ~ wood do again ~

thx OPie ~

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: December 03, 2019 08:26PM

(Swearing)....my dear mom was Presbyterian before she converted to the cult. She was less strident before the cult fucked with her brain.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.