Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: December 01, 2019 10:26AM

Are there some non-Mormon accounts of the family of Joe Smith Sr and Lucy Mack Smith? I remember reading about Joe losing his farm to a failed ginseng venture. His partner ripped him off. He lost his farm again through a swindle, but a local Quaker bought it and they then rented it from him. Maybe it was just bad luck, but why did he have enemies who made it a point to royally screw him? Then there’s Lucy Mack Smith, who had religion founders in the family and wanted to grow one of her own. She was grooming Alvin to be prophet, but he died. The family was also into folk magic, but I don’t see that as unusual for that time. Are there some online references that don’t smell like bleach?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ptbarnum ( )
Date: December 01, 2019 02:12PM

I don't know about the resources but I hope someone else does. I've always wondered how the local community regarded the Smiths, especially how Lucy carried on in society. Did the other ladies invite or call upon her? Were they Jane Austen-like polite to her face, then whisper, "witch" and "madwoman" behind her back? Was she the one they'd cross the street to avoid most days, but pay a secret visit to when they needed a pennyroyal tincture for an unwanted pregnancy?

And Joe...how'd he really get on with the local men? I wonder if they didn't think he was a doofus? He didn't get an invitation to join the Masons, did he?

What I'd give for the psychic ability to see the past!

Looking forward to what others here can provide for info.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.