Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 02, 2019 09:58AM

"In 2015, the FBI began tracking anti-Mormon hate crimes in the United States and have noted an increase in incidents over time."

the article looks to be complete mormon propaganda.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Mormonism#cite_note-2

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: December 02, 2019 10:22AM

The church likes to play the victim. It helps them establish that Stan is real.

I guess they would lump in my personal experiences of telling missionaries to leave and calling the sheriff when they locked their bicycles to my property (fence).

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: December 02, 2019 10:52AM

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 02, 2019 01:04PM

caffiend: the Jussie Smollette of commenters (n/t)

Posted by: Warrior71783 ( )
Date: December 02, 2019 10:32AM

Polygamy a twin relic to slavery haha haven't heard that one before. Never heard it called a form of barbarism before.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 02, 2019 10:44PM

Lincoln did that, and under his leadership the Republican Party, which were committed to eliminating the twin barbarisms of slavery and polygamy.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: December 02, 2019 10:49PM

>Polygamy a twin relic to slavery haha haven't heard that one before. Never heard it called a form of barbarism before.

It came from the Republican Party platform in 1856.

https://www.ushistory.org/gop/convention_1856.htm

"The delegates got right down to business the first day by adopting a platform. The key plank was firm opposition to the extension of slavery. "It is the duty of Congress to prohibit in the territories those twin relics of barbarism, polygamy and slavery." The polygamy reference was aimed at the Mormon settlement in Utah territory."

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: December 02, 2019 11:27AM

I’m not anti-Mormon, I’m anti-stupid.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: December 02, 2019 12:15PM

Try discussing established facts & documented history with a Mormon and you'll be accused of persecuting them for their religion because they've had a warm fuzzy feeling.

Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: December 02, 2019 01:02PM

I looked at the article and I'm still trying to see an example of a hate crime against the mormon church.

Are there examples of actual hate crimes against mormons?

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: December 02, 2019 01:21PM

I was a victim of theft as a missionary. I never thought or believed that I was targeted only because I was a mormon.

-Church buildings are vandalized all over the world.

-Plenty of people don't want missionaries knocking on their doors, and may confront/yell/curse at elders-sisters.

These are not hate crimes in my book.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2019 01:21PM by messygoop.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: December 02, 2019 04:55PM

I'm not "Anti-MORmON"
I'm Anti-hate and MORmONs are hateful towards 'others' (ex-Mormons, gays, women and minorities) so fuck 'em!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2019 04:56PM by schrodingerscat.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: December 02, 2019 10:24PM

Hate doesn’t fly like it used to, but there’s always self loathing.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: December 04, 2019 10:28PM

babyloncansuckit Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hate doesn’t fly like it used to, but there’s
> always self loathing.

Are you saying Mormons are not hateful?
But they're self loathing?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 02, 2019 10:58PM

That's a pathetic article. The source for it is

https://www.deseret.com/2019/1/12/20663159/the-fbi-has-been-tracking-crimes-against-latter-day-saints-for-3-years-here-s-why

The latter article offers two relevant pieces of information: the FBI started following Mormonism and other small religions in 2014; and there were in 2017 a total of 15 hate crimes against Mormons. The rest of the article is devoted to describing hate as a phenomenon and the much more significant problems for Jews, Muslims, Catholics, and many other religions. It turns out that Mormons account for the same number of incidents as afflicts Hindus, whose ranks are far smaller in the States. But hey, we matter too!

The other thing that leaps out is the nature of the crimes. The DN article does not provide the details on any of the events, perhaps because vandalism and burglary are not as impressive as mass murders in synagogues or mosques. So yes, as Monsigneur Messygoop concluded, this does look like a little kid jumping up and down, waving his arms and saying, "Me, me! I'm a victim too!"

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: December 03, 2019 09:07AM

In the game of basketball, a part of the game involves acting like you've been knocked off of your feet when an opponent barely touches you as a means of drawing fouls against your opponent. Mormons use malicious prosecutions in the same way. So there's a bit of a war going-on and you don't want to give your opponent opportunities to make you wrong because of what they have done. My choice is to call the police yourself at the first sign of conflict where church members are involved and if their actions are unreasonable. There is an dysfunction that often afflicts church members where they believe they are entitled to violate other people's boundaries for religious reasons. The police can help with that. Don't try to negotiate with your rights or to even explain them. Don't get angry. Just call the police yourself as soon as you see that your boundaries are being consciously violated.

Regardless of what the church or its members do, committing crimes in response to their actions is never the right course of action. Metaphorically, I would love to see the whole mormon church burn to the ground. But I would never commit any property damages against them. If I can use truthful words to discredit Mormonism and to reveal what Mormonism is really about to others, I'll do that. In many cases,that's enough to do some pretty serious damages to them. They may call it anti-Mormonism. Others call it standing up for your rights and keeping a cult and its members in-check. So there is nothing wrong with wanting to stop the expansion of mormonism and to protect yourself from exploitation. Just do it legally and in ways that will have more meaningful affects.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: December 03, 2019 10:19AM

Persecution is the proof of being God's chosen. Mormons have watered themselves down so much that no one even notices them and they have to settle for a rare bit of graffiti or petty theft as their marker of God's favor.

I always heard Satan was working overtime to bring down the one true church, but Satan must be as addicted to his new iPhone as everyone else as he is certainly falling down on the job, leaving the Gerontocracy to shout, "Hey, Lucifer. Could we get some service over here!"

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: December 03, 2019 02:15PM

Thought was hubris plus weather but

K9V9 301835Z AUTO 02006KT 1/2SM SN OVC005 01/01 A2930

Decodes Chamberlain Municipal Airport, Nov 30 12:35 p.m. local, automatic weather, wind 020 at 6 knots, visibility one-half statute mile in snow, overcast 500 feet, temperature 01 dewpoint 01 centigrade, altimeter 2930

So weather wasn't really that bad. Ice contaminating flight surfaces should not have been a factor - especially flying an anti-ice turboprop. If pilot was not thoroughly comfortable flying in this stuff could have gotten spatially disoriented on entering the goo but this is a head scratcher

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: December 04, 2019 08:54AM

I always like to tell a story I made up, to give an example of Joseph Smith's stupidity and fraudulent nature. So Joseph is out in public one day, telling a few of his friends what a prophet he is and how he is always persecuted, and how he can predict things, including predictions about how he is always persecuted and knowing in advance through devine prophecy, who his persecutors will be. So he tells one friend "...for example, I can predict that I am going to get my ass kicked today, because people just don't like my claims that I am a prophet". The friend says "no, you are safe, no one here is going to harm you". Joseph says "that big mean looking guy over there, he is the one who is going to do it. God is telling me so". Then Joseph goes over to the big mean looking guy, kicks him hard in the shins. As the guy writhes in pain, Joseph laughs and says "Ha, so what are you going to do about it?". Later Joseph's Mormon friends speak of the incident with a tone of awe and amazement. "He must be a prophet. Yet again, he was persecuted and he even predicted the time and day of the persecution, and even who would do it. It happened just as he said it would happen. Praise to the man for enduring these hardships for us". Today's mormons don't mind being just like their stupid founding so-called prophet.

Notice though that these days, it's always a large group of well-connected church members who are claiming to be persecuted. They have friends in law-enforcement and in community leadership. They use their influence in bad ways at times, even against a minority. Sometimes you need to ask who the persecutors and the persecuted really are. It looks from the article like they've even recruited law-enforcement to intimidate those who they harass and bully. There is a reason if someone commits crimes against them. That doesn't necessarily excuse those crimes. But never forget that the church and it's members are playing hardball with respect to your boundaries and their desire to violate them.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2019 09:51AM by azsteve.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.