Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anonyXmo ( )
Date: December 05, 2019 09:15AM

New computer renderings of exterior and interior designs for the updated temple square, including cutaways showing earthquake bumpers, rooms, new skylight, etc. Set to be finished 2024!

----

Members of the media were briefed today about preparations underway for the pending renovation of the Salt Lake Temple, which closes on December 29, 2019. Four interior renderings of the project were released in conjunction with the event.

During the initial phase of construction, crews will secure the construction area with a fence, and by mid-January, the South Visitors' Center and portions of the wall surrounding Temple Square will be demolished.

In the spring, the temple's north addition will come down. Renovation of the Church Office Building plaza is anticipated to begin in late 2020. Temple Square will remain open during the renovation with the Conference Center becoming the primary venue for the guest experience including views of the construction from the balcony and roof levels.

The annual Christmas lights will continue but on a smaller scale.

https://churchofjesuschristtemples.org/salt-lake-temple/photographs/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 05, 2019 09:28AM

Your tithing dollars at work.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: December 05, 2019 10:01AM

Why did they not build the perfect temple the first time?

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: December 05, 2019 11:12AM

Hedning Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why did they not build the perfect temple the
> first time?

Got that right.

I grew tired of hearing about how the pioneer architects were so brilliant and inspired that they left space for future electrical conduits, hvac ducts and elevators.

I always wanted to ask, and where was the roundhouse stall-track for Brigham's cherished locomotive of his Polygamy Central RR (Utah Central RR) that he controlled?

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: December 05, 2019 10:07AM

Wonder if they will remove all of the quirky symbols that are on the outside of the temple? Gotta look "normal", ya know.

Date: December 05, 2019 11:16AM

I think that they are going to smudged away during the granite wall resurfacing. According to Nelson, the restoration is ongoing and the previous mormon profits were too stupid to fix it, unlike Nelson who thinks he's the christian church president.

Posted by: normdeplume ( )
Date: December 05, 2019 09:55PM

valkyriequeen Wrote:
> Wonder if they will remove all of the quirky
> symbols that are on the outside of the temple?
> Gotta look "normal", ya know.

These carved petagrams, all-seeing eyes, occult moons and suns and handshakes that were all symbols used in Brigham's cherished, rebungnified Freemasonic religion, are sure to evaporate forever.

The whole collection of satanic symbols on the SL Temple will be effaced by demolition-crews. A pristine SL temple will remain without any external signs of "The Lodge" which created it.

Posted by: Lulu not logged inevcnh ( )
Date: December 09, 2019 10:23AM

Actually the ones that are covered by the current annex (which was a bit of a controversy when the first one was torn down) will be uncovered.

Posted by: dumbmormons ( )
Date: December 06, 2019 10:04AM

valkyriequeen Wrote:
> Wonder if they will remove all of the quirky
> symbols that are on the outside of the temple?
> Gotta look "normal", ya know.

Bet they get rid of the wall murals in the World room that show dinosaurs.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: December 05, 2019 11:17AM

It occurs to me that the powers that be are struggling to fit in.
There is, I believe, a whole division that does nothing but handle resignations. Smebody correct me if I am wrong.
So in an attempt to fit in changes must happen. I believe that this so called upgrading is to placate the fears of the true believers and reinforce the power of the heirarchy. As a point of interest I don't see Winchester Cathedral being renovatd.
If they would admit the errors and own up to their mistakes things would probably improve.
The continue to attempt to run the "long con". If you don't know what that is google it!

Date: December 05, 2019 11:30AM

I guess it has to do with the upcoming construction logistics, but why cut-off the lights on Saturday, Dec 28th rather than leaving them on through Jan 2?

I looked it up and the church has been fairly consistent with leaving their lights on through the new year in previous years. I guess the church is pretty eager to get a fugly construction office container dumped on the square.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: December 05, 2019 11:53AM

What I want to know is when they do the public tours, will the so-called "Holy of Holies" be included?

Posted by: Darksparks ( )
Date: December 05, 2019 01:53PM

Soon they will use the BoM to engineer a new kind of submarine that will be tight like unto a dish. If it turns over, the passengers just quickly close the hole in the top and everyone quickly scoots to the bottom.

Posted by: Aaron ( )
Date: December 10, 2019 02:58PM

Can you imagine the calamity that would ensue if a seafaring vessel flipped over? I picture humans, chickens, bees (deseret anyone?) food, garbage, poop and lots of papers suddenly in complete and utter chaos. Like you would be...if your house suddenly turned over....No worries though! No head trauma,no broken bones,just a simple solution. Put a cork in it!! All is well! Uh, um...that story is really really dumb. Wake up mormons. You are dumb.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: December 05, 2019 03:12PM

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: December 05, 2019 03:41PM

I want to know what in the sam hill is going to take 4 freaking years to to renovate?

Posted by: xxMo0 ( )
Date: December 06, 2019 09:57AM

gemini Wrote:
> I want to know what in the sam hill is going to
> take 4 freaking years to to renovate?

They're redoing the entire square, knocking down both existing visitor centers to build a new one, adding/changing underground access and adding a huge skylight at ground level, plus all the work in the temple itself

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: December 10, 2019 01:22PM

They are also going to put the temple on a bunch of rubber hockey pucks and put reinforcing steel in to shore it up against earthquake damage. They did the same thing to the Utah state capitol building.

Stone buildings don't fare so well in big earthquakes and the SLC temple sits on the Wasatch fault line.

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: December 05, 2019 07:12PM

Posted by: xxMo0 ( )
Date: December 06, 2019 10:00AM

Yes, one of the cutaway drawings shows (in red) huge rubber bumper type things under the foundation and between some support walls.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: December 05, 2019 10:32PM

It looks alot better than what I remember. They are going to restore the natural wood, last I was there it was all painted white. Looks like they are getting rid of the solid white theme and it's going to be dark. That central hallway looks a little too dark for my taste though. I can't imagine that it's fine hard wood in there though.

Wasn't it all Utah Pine? Probably from Pine canyon down in Dixie.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: December 06, 2019 06:02PM

More lipstick on a 19th Century faux tasteful furniture and interior decorating. Oh, look the Temple has new clothes!

Date: December 06, 2019 05:00PM

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: December 10, 2019 02:22AM

No Joseph Smith translating the golden plates. No Joseph Smith praying in the Sacred Grove. No Joseph Smith dictating through a curtain. This is no surprise. They're replacing Joseph with differend fake history, plus Madison Avenue hype.

"Look at the big globe! It really is a global church!"

"There are black, hispanic and Asian Mormons in these photos murals!" Mormons really are a mix of all the people in the world!"

"Look at the gigantic statue of Christ! It really is a Christian church!"

"Mormons really do help others in need! The sign says so!"

"Look at the murals of Mormons in their tee shirts rescuing others! Sign me up!"

Nice try, but the hype won't work anymore. 5 years from now, it will be even less effective.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.