Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Big Al ( )
Date: December 05, 2019 03:05PM

I know a man who is selling his plasma in order to have the money to pay tithing. are there any health risks in doing this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: December 05, 2019 03:13PM

Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: December 10, 2019 12:00AM

Selling your signs and tokens is less painful.

Posted by: The Riddler ( )
Date: December 10, 2019 12:02AM

What are signs and tokens worth?
Nothing except to the deluded!!!

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: December 10, 2019 01:04PM

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: December 05, 2019 03:38PM

Well, that is kind of a creative way to do it, I guess. I processed many signature loans in a local Utah credit union years ago for people who needed (cough, cough) Christmas money, but who sometimes admitted it was to catch up their tithing.

Posted by: Old Al ( )
Date: December 05, 2019 06:25PM

I used money from cash loans from my Visa card for a couple of years. Then I realized I wasn’t receiving any blessings for it and stopped paying altogether. It is good I did not know you could sell your plasma. Doing that once a week cannot be healthy.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: December 05, 2019 06:39PM

Date: December 05, 2019 06:59PM

I assumed he just sucked her blood during a full moon.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 05, 2019 07:01PM

Many years ago I knew of really broke college kids who sold their plasma to (at least partially) support their schooling.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: December 07, 2019 01:12AM

In my very lean between-marriages years, I occasionally sold plasma to help pay bills. Those were also my Mormon years, and I have to admit, having access to the Bishop's storehouse helped enormously.

I can remember meeting with a financial counselor who looked at my expenses (and yes, tithing was listed.) She started to say something about that being voluntary, and I can remember saying, "Don't even go there."

Yeah. catnip the TBM. Kinda hard to imagine, these days.

Posted by: ptbarnum ( )
Date: December 05, 2019 09:05PM

From what I've heard the typical risks are fatigue, bruising, and headache. Sometimes changes in heart rate, blood pressure or glucose can lead to dizziness, fainting or palpitations. That's why donors get cookies and juice--sugar and fluid keep the system stable.

I think those risks would increase if a person tries to bypass the mandatory waiting period between donations by going to different labs and lying just to get some more money.

I do know of one instance where someone did this, way back when I worked as a police clerk, I remember a report where a guy threw a chair through a window when the plasma center turned him away because it was too soon by their rules. He 'fessed up to going to three different labs on consecutive days because he needed money, which was overdoing it, so the officer had him sent to the ER for evaluation before booking him, just in case.

The whole notion of selling your blood components for tithing is so, so CULT. If money's so tight, for goodness sake keep your 10%. If you're going to bleed for money, do it to buy your kids food, clothes and medicine, don't throw it down the black hole of endless corporate greed from SLC.

I suppose he gets an ego stroke from his poignant suffering...my MIL is a big one for that, humblebragging about how poor she is because she blew her retirement on missions. Suffering for the Lard and whatnot.

Date: December 05, 2019 10:05PM

I believe he is only giving once a week.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: December 05, 2019 10:05PM

He must not have had any gold teeth.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: December 05, 2019 10:58PM

If he believes in a God who expects him to sell parts of his body to pay a few dollars of tribute to God...he's an idiot.

If he believes that the money he pays in tithing is actually going to God...he's an idiot.

If he believes that tithing means 10% of gross income, with no deductions for liabilities...he's an idiot.

Unfortunately, idiots are gonna idiot.

You should give him one of those little sticky-back gold stars to put on his forehead. He's obviously virtue-signaling Mormon style and really, really needs someone to notice and praise him. Go ahead...give him the gold star.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: December 05, 2019 11:40PM

Depending on your state, you can give blood and "assign it" (the value, not the literal pint) to a hospital, clinic, disease, or patient of your choice. Every 8-10 weeks for whole blood.

If you're healthy and have the time, consider donating platelets. They hook you up to a machine which extracts the platelets and return the remaining blood through another needle. It takes about 3-4 hours (counting intake and recuperation). At my Red Cross facility, you sit very still (can't disturb the needles) and watch a movie on an individual screen at your donation station.

Something of real value!

Posted by: glassrose ( )
Date: December 06, 2019 11:30PM

I'm not sure why folks get so skeevy over selling blood plasma. If you don't do it too often, it's no big deal. I've done it a couple of times to get us by. Why not? It's your blood.
You can't sell any other blood components like platelets or whole blood, which I also donate regularly.

I agree that selling plasma to pay a tithe is idiotic, but it's idiotic period. *shrug*

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: December 07, 2019 12:03AM

about the fact the he's literally selling his blood/plasma in order to give money to his church.

The guy wants a pat on the head and a "super spiritual hero of the year" award.

Maybe his virtue signaling will work with a gullible Mormon audience.

To sane people, he's essentially saying that (i) he's stupid enough to believe that selling his blood in order to give the money to a pompous bunch of religious frauds in SLC is what God wants him to do; AND (ii) he's so bad at managing his own personal business that at the end of the year he finds himself needing to sell blood to pay his tithing bill (aka annual cult membership dues).

Just another poster boy showing us why people should not get involved in wacky religious cults.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 07, 2019 12:42AM

I agree with Wally. It's one thing to sell plasma to put a roof over your head or food on the table. It's quite another to meet the demands of a greedy church. What decent church would want a member to sell their blood plasma in order to make a donation?

Posted by: glassrose ( )
Date: December 07, 2019 03:30AM

Oh, I totally agree with Wally as well. Giving money to that damn church is ridiculous, however he gets the money. :)

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: December 07, 2019 04:09AM

Mormons believe that the 10% will be magically returned next year in other ways. But the magic only works if they give it to the MORMON church. Besides the carrot, there are some sticks. If you don’t pay your protection money, you might get burned up when Jesus comes. That Jesus, such a practical joker. Don’t forget Ananias and Sapphira. The dude stiffed God and dropped dead. Don’t let this happen to you.

Virtue signaling has nothing to do with it. It’s magical thinking. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, but if you’re into magical thinking you should at least study magic.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: December 07, 2019 04:29PM

Big Al Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I know a man who is selling his plasma in order to
> have the money to pay tithing. are there any
> health risks in doing this?

Talk about mind control!! TOTALLY MIND CONTROLLED mORMON
AKA TMC

Posted by: anonculus ( )
Date: December 12, 2019 02:11AM

> are there any
> health risks in doing this?

Only mental.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.