Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lafayette ( )
Date: December 09, 2019 02:01PM

It is brutal what is going on. Almost everybody fail to understand and know each other at this moment. 40 years of history together and it feels like there are no bottom. Complete interpersonal implosion. It is like the 40 years never happened. General emotional hollowness, lovelessness, severe malfunction at every level. Even no real energy to fight anymore. My sister aged 50 talks and rants like a teenager. The regression is worrying my mother. Things do not seem to get any better.

Why all this?

It took me two years and serious amount of home study to learn about the tips and tricks that was being played out in our dysfunctional family. I learned psychological "Judo" (like grayrock technique) and when they could not get reactions out of me they turned to excessive smear campaigning. But I did not take the bait so now things have really gone critical. It seems to me that my role as emotional dumpster was criticial for the general "well-being" inside the family. My drunk brother in law gave me a hint two weeks ago that implied that I was to blame for the problems in his marriage with my sister. It was like that I had to start perform the emotional "transaction" or "business" would soon be over. It was insane. But I have learned through my study that he projected it because he can not handle it.

Night Train - Guns N Roses
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMDljoM5JFI

Anyone else experienced this kind of implosion?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: logged out today ( )
Date: December 09, 2019 02:29PM

Of course they're imploding. Since they can no longer gang up on you, they have no choice now but to turn on each other. From your description, it's exactly what they deserve.

Have you considered going a step further to No Contact? It sounds like that might be the best thing for your own mental and psych health. Block them out. Let them go. Let them fail. It's not your circus. You don't owe them a thing. "Family" is overrated IMO.

Schadenfreude can be a wonderful feeling.

Date: December 09, 2019 04:01PM

Would love to find something far away from here. But I got to stay to give support and aid to my aging parents. They need it. In the future I will move away from here.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: December 09, 2019 04:33PM

Kudos to you for your searching for facts of truth which have made it possible for you to become family's"scapegoat" because, at the same time, you have also become an example to them, although they may not consciously recognize this or be able to admit it.

This is what keeps me smiling and has kept me smiling through the years. I do not want to be where certain others are. I love where I am at.

And....guess what? I have lived to see a few family members discover the truth about the Mormon Cult! I questioned that I would croak first before this ever happened. So....

...hang in there. Remember you are an example....a very important example of TRUTH.

I was not told that I helped these people find the truth and, unless they share this with me, I will not know. But, I feel certain that my actions had to have shown them another picture of how to live.

Whenever change happens in a family the whole system is thrown off balance and struggles to find equilibrium, healthy or non-healthy. Your actions have upset the applecart, and it is up to them how they will deal with it.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2019 04:55PM by presleynfactsrock.

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: December 09, 2019 04:47PM

I was the scapegoat as well. Really glad those people are no longer in my life.
I finally got to the point that I'd had enough chaos in my life to last me the rest of my life. Now, I rarely have any contact with one sister. The other three I haven't spoken with or seen for many years. Thankfully, the parents are dead.

I don't agree with the schadenfreude comment. For me, the joy is in no longer giving a sh!t.

Seriously. Move away.

Posted by: ptbarnum ( )
Date: December 09, 2019 05:46PM

Yes, I grew up with a sociopathic father. My mother was codependent, enabling, brainwashed, and battered. I loved her kindness, I miss her very much, but I can't explain or excuse how she let my father do the horrible things he did. She permitted it for whatever reasons, and she didn't foster healthy relationships between her children. She conformed to whatever rules and roles my father capriciously set for his children, even allowing us to form little abusive factions against whichever sibling was occupying the Scapegoat role.

She was also the nexus of my connection to my father and siblings. When she died, there was no emotional reason to stay bound to my father. I was finally able to break free, in jolting fits and starts, from his abuse and control.

Having joined and left a certain nasty cult in the meantime did help with that, I have to say.

The cost of this freedom was my relationships with my siblings. I think they were hungry for distance from my father and each other. They all turned their aggression on one another, myself included, and yes, I had to go to therapy and take medication but with the tremendous resource of support given by a long suffering spouse and the strong reality pull exerted by my kids, I got through it, I continue to get through it, and gradually I am even rebuilding a civil discourse with a sister. The REAL sister, not the puppet I grew up with, and she is getting to know the real me.

All these years of dancing with toxic family dysfunction, expensive psychotherapy, and years of thinking it and rethinking it, have distilled down into advice that probably sounds pretty brutal on the surface. I'm sorry about that, it's just my experience, the world isn't a cotton candy and rainbows place, and in medicine, physical cancers are remorselessly cut away by surgeons because amputation is still better than being devoured.

This advice is, let it all collapse and go find your own way, your own self. Let them all go, let the rotten Jenga tower fall into a smoldering heap. If the only thread holding your 'family' together was your ability to be molded and stretched like Silly Putty and be the receptacle for all their pain, you were never a family at all.

It's nice of you to want to stick around for your parents but waiting for someone to die (like me, with my mom) before you move away or cut the contact is, in my experience, a colossal waste of time, good years of youth and health thrown down the toilet because I was too empathetic and too blinded by devotion to Mom to see that I wasn't actually that real to her, I was only real inside the context and definition of me she derived from my father.

She never knew me. My siblings never knew me or cared to...we were players on a stage. Strangers under the same roof, except we knew enough about each other's weaknesses to hit where it hurt worst.

Besides which, my parents where the original source, the nuclear reactor made of two broken minds that melted down. My siblings and our ridiculous, petty, neurotic role-playing, our attacks on each other as we jostled for dominance, threw drama parties and formed and broke alliances...we were just the mutant, poisoned plant workers that lived around the reactor, trying to keep appease it like it was a sacrifice-hungry god.

Screw your siblings, They don't know you, never did. Screw your parents' elderly neediness. They fostered your Scapegoat role and you don't owe them diddly. You are free to move away and socialize at will by phone, if at all--do literally only what a decent stranger would do for a vulnerable person, nothing more. If they don't have adequate living conditions, these can usually be arranged by asking for help from various agencies. Let them learn to navigate their later years independently, advocate for themselves, and get their support from professional caregivers who can remain objective.

They all may whine that they miss you, but they don't. They miss fake you. Scapegoat you. The image of you they imagine and project on you and can manipulate.

Stop carrying the load. Cut out the psychological cancer. Let the Jenga tower you never wanted to hold up crash and burn. Tell drunk whatsisface that marriage is for grownups and he's failing at it because he's a passive aggressive manbaby, and warn him not to barf his insecurities all over you like that ever again. Drive off into the sunset and break the rearview mirror off the car.

If there are good connections buried in the family they will rise from the ashes and you can move forward with honesty afterwards.

Take this all for what it's worth...I'm biased, I've never met you, and I'm no sage. I can say with honesty that I was the family Scapegoat for a very long time, and my biggest regret is that I wasted so much healthy time waiting to torch the radioactive family landscape I was living in. Now I'm free and happy, but I live with an autoimmune disease I have to make concessions to. Don't let any reason, even one that sounds like a good reason, stop you from being happy, being free, and being healthy RIGHT NOW.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2019 05:51PM by ptbarnum.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: December 10, 2019 12:32PM

ptbarnum Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Don't let
> any reason, even one that sounds like a good
> reason, stop you from being happy, being free, and
> being healthy RIGHT NOW.

Thank you. Excellent advice in my opinion. I was the black sheep who refused to be manipulated anymore. I move away for my sanity.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: December 09, 2019 07:55PM

I taught my mother about emotional blackmail. Once she recognized it was being pulled on her by my sister she stopped being a victim. Mom is fine. She doesn't mind that sis is pulling away. But sis is nearly going out of her mind now that she cannot manipulate our mother. She pulls away for long periods of time and then shows up with wild and crazy antics to force Mom back into compliance. Frankly, Mom is just getting too old to care and that, too, drives sis bonkers.

I'm pretty sure we are both being lied about behind our backs but nothing much we can do about it. I think people are beginning to see who the crazy one really is.

Posted by: mootman ( )
Date: December 09, 2019 10:33PM

I really appreciate this discussion, thanks for chiming in.

Actually I've wanted to post a similar sentiment. It's been a rough few years realizing the genuine psychological disorders my folks have and what it has created. Anyway thanks. 10 years of cult recovery and I'm just getting started! Lmfao

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 09, 2019 11:36PM

My oldie by goodie: "It's better to be alone than in bad company."

Of course, learning to tolerate, much less enjoy, being alone is not all that easy.

Sure is worth it, though.

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: December 10, 2019 06:29AM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My oldie by goodie: "It's better to be alone than
> in bad company."
>
So true.

Posted by: LongGoneMachinery ( )
Date: December 10, 2019 08:21AM

Yes, I experienced the implosion(s).

Worst was my golden child sister, who I stopped granting gc status, her maximum rewards for minimal efforts. She even stormed into my home when our mother was present, and shouted out an "exorcism" of sorts. Following that, barred entry from my home, threatened to "kneecap" minors (relatives) at their school, police were called, reports made, removed and banned from property. She even quit her 15-year job, blaming me for her stressed-out state. Full-on crazy.

Mom's eyes partially fluttered open for a moment, only to fully embrace her gc, happy to go all in on scapegoating me.

I ended up moving to another city. Shortly after, gc was diagnosed with a fatal illness, ended up draining mom's funds for homeopathic teas ($67/12 oz. daily x2 bottles) to supplement Western modern medical treatment. None of it saved her, and she cared not a whit for the destitution left my mother.

I felt deep sorrow for all of them, but my sanity was not a price to be paid for their peace-in-dysfunction. I am human, not goat. I won't be used and treated like one.

I had to pass through a desert, starving for family, and found that I can be genuinely loved only if I am genuinely myself.

I had/have zero right to ask anyone to be tied to the dysfunction that is/was my family, especially if I claim to care for that person, and his/her well-being. I have every right to ask for that person's support in remaining free. Those interested in knowing my authentic self respect and honor those requests.

Those who try to sway me toward a "reconciliation," are either uninformed, or are projecting their own dilemma/agenda onto me.

Either way, I have earned my immunity to those sorts of bugs.

I wish you the best in your journey.

Posted by: LongGoneMachinery ( )
Date: December 10, 2019 08:39AM

After I posted, I reread your OP, and realized the profundity of a statement you made.

Your 50 year old sister *IS* acting her 15 year old emotional age. Stuck in her dysfunction, she likely never grew emotionally beyond that. She wants what her 15 year old self wants, and no amount of loving, adult intervention will sway her desires at this point in her life. Her passionate exhibitions lack any sort of self-awareness.

Believe her when she tells you who she is. Accept that it is what she has chosen for herself. No need to argue with her.

Date: December 10, 2019 02:46PM

Found this blog text a couple of weeks ago.

Title: Narcissists’ Shocking Lack of Discernment and Weird Tangents (Homeschool Grads Read This!)

Quote: "These are mature adults. Well-educated. Successful. Wealthy. Deeply religious. Yet they don’t have the discernment God gave a goose. They don’t have the normalcy and common sense of a preschooler."

PLUS

Quote: "Narcissists are consistent in getting the wrong end of the stick. They may be the highly-educated but they don’t have the common sense God gave a preschooler. Even as a child, I wondered why my adults were blind or even worse, spouted brainwashing nonsense to convince me that my crystal-clear discernment was wrong, particularly about them!

Narcissists only see what they want to see. In a cult, they may see the possibility of being elite, powerful, “better than” and loved. Their needs make them the perfect dupes to fall for every new tangent, every new cult, every new movement-with-a-cause, every new {fill-in-the-blank.} Their ego needs Us vs Them. Normalcy is too pedestrian, too bourgeois for them!"

The text was bulls-eye. Spot on! The meaning in it has been in my mind for weeks.

Right now I find myself in the middle of a smear-campaign. I do not know what issues or arguments that are being put on the table but I feel and sense the shunning and one-way street "diplomacy". Fingers are pointing at me. I must start to perform again and give them the "goods" they need. There will be no goods that is one thing for sure!

No hard feelings because I sense they are deluded and do not know what they are doing. I want to develop my discernment again and get the natural capacity I had back again. This craziness has been going on for 40 years. They must understand that the game is over. They lost and they just keep adding losses by playing their smearing and witholding-game.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 10, 2019 06:06PM

Lafayette, there's a saying -- "Not my circus, not my monkeys." Sometimes you just have to recognize that certain people are addicted to ongoing drama, and walk away from it for the sake of your sanity.

Posted by: jay ( )
Date: December 10, 2019 10:18PM

Hang in there.

Even when you’ve figured it out, it can be tough psychologically.

I respect what you’ve done to get to this place in your life & your thinking—

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.