Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: December 11, 2019 02:05AM

of the TV series?

I heard it's about a Scottish convert to Mormonism who is trying to get to a place called Kolob as quickly as possible.

At one point, someone sings to the main character: "Who wants to live forever?"

The main character then raises his hand and says: "A certainly dae! A want tae gae tae kolob richt now! Gin ye know hou tae get thare, A'll give ye some o ma haggis."

I haven't seen the movie yet, but it sounds like cool movie.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 11, 2019 02:28AM

I would have been willing to help--until he brought up the haggis.

People who eat haggis bring it up all the tame.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 11, 2019 10:51AM

"British food" is an oxymoron ?

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: December 13, 2019 12:58PM

Obviously you have not been there in the last 30 years or so.

Date: December 13, 2019 01:00PM

Yup!

Posted by: Ted ( )
Date: December 13, 2019 01:26PM

Brit's eat well...very tasty food. Eg, fish and Chips (salt and vinegar)...still crave that 30 years later. British woman are some of the prettiest in the world too.

Date: December 13, 2019 06:04PM

Dave's comment fits right in with the idea some have abroad that all Americans are called Elmer and wear loud checked pants.

Date: December 13, 2019 06:08PM

I'm not going to ask how you know what people's "pants" look like, kentish.

;-)

Date: December 14, 2019 10:38AM

It comes from an innate sense of discernment,

Date: December 14, 2019 01:22PM

Well, that would make you a true seer and, with a bit of luck, revelator!

Date: December 14, 2019 01:46PM

in recent years (especially in spring time).

They were safe when it was just the Men in Black chasing after them.

But then came the Men in Seersucker Suits (M.I.S.S.).

Date: December 14, 2019 01:47PM

I see(r).

Date: December 14, 2019 02:01PM

so that we can set up a peepstone party to see what the Brits are eating these days and monitor the seersuckers...and maybe find out why nobody's heard a peep out of the 3 Nephites in these aluminium ladder days.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: December 12, 2019 01:26AM

I made a point of having some - twice, actually, when I visited Scotland. I remember thinking that it tasted a bit like my grandmother's beef hash. Not bad at all.

The name is rather off-putting, but the substance itself tasted fine to me. And yes, I've read what's in it.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: December 11, 2019 02:51AM

Wally Prince Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> of the TV series?

I watched the TV series, starting in 1992, or around that time (as I remember), when it was first broadcast, and I--and the other two members of our family, plus our cats--liked it a lot.

> I heard it's about a Scottish convert to Mormonism
> who is trying to get to a place called Kolob as
> quickly as possible.

Not the series I saw--which was (again: as I remember) about a guy from the Scottish Highlands who was centuries old, but most definitely did not look his age. ;) He was immortal or something?

> At one point, someone sings to the main character:
> "Who wants to live forever?"
>
> The main character then raises his hand and says:
> "A certainly dae! A want tae gae tae kolob richt
> now! Gin ye know hou tae get thare, A'll give ye
> some o ma haggis."

I am sorry to report that I have no memory of this scene.

> I haven't seen the movie yet, but it sounds like
> cool movie.

Very probably is. I haven't been going to films much lately, but this might be one I would like.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2019 02:59AM by Tevai.

Date: December 11, 2019 03:01AM

Tevai Wrote:
> Wally Prince Wrote:
>
>
> Not the series I saw--which was (again: as I
> remember) about a guy from the Scottish Highlands
> who was centuries old, but most definitely did not
> look his age. ;) He was immortal or something?
>
This must have been a sequel because if he was immortal that would mean that he had already hied to Kolob and then returned earth to fulfill some kind of mission. ;o)

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: December 11, 2019 03:07AM

Wally Prince Wrote:
> This must have been a sequel because if he was
> immortal that would mean that he had already hied
> to Kolob and then returned earth to fulfill some
> kind of mission. ;o)

I enthusiastically defer to your far greater knowledge and obvious expertise about Kolob, because, when it comes to knowledge about Kolob, I am very probably in the bottom 1% of everyone else on this board.

Date: December 11, 2019 03:14AM

This is all based on a classic Mormon hymn titled "If You Could Hie to Kolob".

https://youtu.be/WwYm_mKQ3Gs

The hymn contents are based on some "deep" doctrines that the Church mostly ignores nowadays. IIRC, the hymn itself is no longer included in the most recent hymn book.

Lyrics:

https://lyricstranslate.com/en/mormon-hymns-284-if-you-could-hie-kolob-lyrics.html

Posted by: not-so-perfect ( )
Date: December 11, 2019 11:16PM

I watched the Highlander TV series as a teenager. I was infatuated with tall, dark, and brooding Duncan MacLeod! I don't recall anything in the storyline that even remotely smacked of Mormonism or Kolob aliens.

Battlestar Galactica, however, was all about the Mormon mythology of Kolob/Kobol and the 12 colonies/tribes looking for the fabled 13th colony, Earth. I hear the 2004 series was much better than the original series.

Date: December 11, 2019 02:58AM

are the key to faster-than-light intergalactic propulsion.

Just like Dorothy and her red pumps, Brother MuhClod always had what he needed right there in front of him. He just needed to eat more of it in a highly compressed period of time, combined with generous spoonfuls of sodium bicarbonate and an improved understanding of the principles of rocketry. With all that in hand, the only thing left for him to do would be to chant "there's no place like Kolob" three times and then clamp his mouth firmly shut so as to optimize directional control.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: December 11, 2019 06:10AM

The Hielander movies that I remember are a whole series of movies based on the theme from the first movie about a guy named Connor Macleod from ancient Scotland, who was immortal and who lives all the way in to modern times as a young person. In these stories, there are several immortals and their goal is to cut off the heads of all of the other immortals, which is the only way to kill them. If you are the last immortal left, then you get the privilege of growing old and dieing. They often say "there can be only one" when they fight with their swords. They somehow know who the other immortals are by feeling something in the presence of another immortal. When they need to talk civilly, they meet in an church because they can't fight on holy ground. These immortals never know they are immortal until after they die and then wake-up alive again. At that point, they stop aging and the other immortals can then tell that they are immortal and start hunting them. There are good and bad immortals. Some of them are real predators and others just want to be left alone to live their immortal lives. One of them even became a monk, so he would be safe living on holy ground. In the final movie, Connor McCleod kills the bad guy immortal in self defense, and then as the last immortal left, grows old. But in his old age, his mentor Rimeses who had been killed earlier and one other immortal are sent back to earth. McCleod kills the other immortal, and becomes young again in the process, despite his desire to grow old and die of old age.

Not much is told about where these immortals come from. But there are a few scenes in a few of the movies where they leave their home planet to go to earth to be born into the human population. Once they are born on earth, they lose the memory of their former home and former life. They don't even know they are not human until after another immortal who is older and wiser fills them in on the details. But meanwhile, the people they love often all die of old age while they remain young, and they can never have children.

I always thought the 'better to burn out than fade away' scene was pretty funny because of this bad guy's contempt for the church. Connor McLeod is the good guy in this scene. Notice the partially severed neck on the bad guy. Rimeres almost killed him in a sword fight but lost the battle.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3Dve6gGiI7Jqs&ved=2ahUKEwj49Mffv63mAhUOs54KHSi8CT4QwqsBMAB6BAgEEAQ&usg=AOvVaw2mgXoobwpPfRRTJhcpaB75

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2019 07:31AM by azsteve.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: December 11, 2019 11:05AM

So the last immortal surviving is a bit like the last Apostle standing gets to be head of the church.

Date: December 11, 2019 10:40PM

by intentionally spelling it as "Hielander" instead of "Highlander" and then using that as a vehicle to have fun with the "Hie to Kolob" theme.

But I think as spoofs go it turned out to be a bit too esoteric.

It really is interesting though how some of the actual concepts and narrative from the Highlander stories could easily be incorporated into the themes that were developed by Joseph Smith regarding resurrected beings (immortals)...as implied, for example, in the D&C 129 handshake test doctrines (among other things):

"1. There are two kinds of beings in heaven, namely: Angels, who are resurrected personages, having bodies of flesh and bones."

MacLeod could have become one of those angels...

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 11, 2019 10:44PM

I've played golf with the Hielander!

Date: December 11, 2019 10:59PM

I remember asking myself just before swinging, "if this golf ball could hie to Kolob in the twinkling of an eye...how would I then play the next round?"

Amazingly enough, when I hit the ball, it rocketed off into outer space. First there was a tiny sonic boom and then a bright flash of light in the upper atmosphere, which apparently was the opening of an intergalactic wormhole.

"Damn! I guess I'll never see that ball again," I cursed under my breath.

But just a few seconds later, there was another flash of light in the upper atmosphere and then a small object fell from the heavens, landing right in front of me and nearly landing on the tee from which I had launched my golf ball just a few moments earlier.

It was my golf ball!

It was now partly melted and charred, except for one side on which a message was glowing: "From Kolob: Please be careful! This stupid ball hit Bardael, a Kolobian angel, on the head and he is going to hospital as we speak. If this happens again, God will take away all golf balls from everyone on earth."

100% true story. Can't be denied.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: December 11, 2019 08:14AM

They mythologies of hoth stories are so similar that I have to wonder if they are not both based on some older Scottish story. Mormonism always steals their stories from other sources, weaves-in some faith promoting story (faith in mormonism that is), and then passes it on as their own. And yet someone also made several movies and a television series (both) based on many similar people, places, and supernatural things.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2019 08:19AM by azsteve.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: December 11, 2019 08:20AM

After he went through the temple endowment, he started singing “Princes of the Universe”.

The Mormons loved how he played “Scotland the Brave” on his bagpipes.

Date: December 11, 2019 10:43PM

of Scotland the Brave on his bagpipes using only haggis burps to make it all work.

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: December 14, 2019 05:24PM

Would this be the guy who wrote and sang the song "Princes of the Universe".
I am more familiar with the music than the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqhHgT4mvRQ

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: December 11, 2019 10:17AM

As a young immortal he would often sing "Popcorn Popping on the Apricot Tree" but now as a fully correlated immortal he only sings "Follow the Prophet" .

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: December 11, 2019 10:52PM

in b 4 ~ hie

you know ~

that ificouldhietokolob poster guy ~

or whatever ~

he is pretty funny ~

(srs) ~

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: December 13, 2019 01:48PM

Who wants to tithe forever.

Date: December 14, 2019 01:55PM

Who can live under pressure like that for so long, especially while knowing that every leader of the church has been nothing but a great pretender?

Every night, you can hear the zombie-like chants of the Mormon priesthood holders coming closer and closer and closer...."We will...we will...tithe you...ugh".

At first it's barely audible in the distance, but eventually it's so loud that it's driving you mad...

"WE WILL...WE WILL...TITHE YOU...UGH!"

Next thing you know, every penny of disposable income is gone from your home and all of your pockets are turned inside out.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.