Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Jacko Mo Mo ( )
Date: December 11, 2019 11:49PM

They are all a bunch of made up BS.

Watching Ex LDS YouTube stories, they lose all merit when they summarily announce they've joined Christian church X, Y, Z.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: December 11, 2019 11:58PM

Some churches don't take over people's lives and make demands on them, though. Furthermore, most churches let a person leave just by walking out the door and not returning. There are, of course, other bizarre churches out there besides the COJCOLDS, but a person doesn't have to choose one of the strange and restrictive churches.

I'm not saying that anyone SHOULD find a church affiliation after leaving the Mormons, but comparing a normal church to the COJCOLDS isn't even an apples/oranges comparison. It's more like comparing apples to smelly cat food.

Date: December 12, 2019 12:01AM

Date: December 12, 2019 12:48AM

One person's lies might be another person's truth. Everyone has to find a path that works for himself or herself.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: December 14, 2019 03:53PM

I find it more than a little interesting that people think they can define truth as whatever they want it to be. Truth does not work like that.

When someone uses the phrase, "my truth" what they mean is this is what is convenient for them to believe whether it is truth or not. That which someone hopes to be the truth cuz that is what they want to be the truth, cuz like, that would make it really nice, does not make their wishes or beliefs to be the truth.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 14, 2019 06:30PM

I take your point, but to me religion often falls under "meaningful myth." Sometimes a fictional story (or art, or music) can speak to deeper human truths than the bare facts are able to.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 14, 2019 09:20PM

I can agree with you except for the fact the religions usually CLAIM the myths are factual (until it is obvious what they taught actually isn't factual and they pretend they never said it was).

We can learn a lot from mythology and literature, but religion adds a self-declared divine authority validation that is very harmful.

If only religion could remove all the faith BS woo stuff, and learn to quickly embrace change and scientific discovery, the community aspect of it might be attractive. Some religions are trying and better than others, but overall, they are regressive swamps of unfounded claims for the credulous who pay to be fleeced.

I can't see checking my brain at the door for social and emotional needs.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 14, 2019 10:12PM

> I can't see checking my
> brain at the door for
> social and emotional needs.

Humans are the only creatures known to pay to receive sexual stimulation knowing that said payment does not include sexual gratification. And that is some weird shit, man!

Date: December 15, 2019 12:09AM

Most "truth" as it pertains to religion will never be proven or disproven **in this lifetime. A person can maintain that his own belief system [or lack thereof] is true and correct and that anyone whose beliefs differ from his own is following an inherently false system, or a person can accept that what rings true for him doesn't do the same for someone else.

** An obvious exception would be found in the teachings of groups who are insistent that the Messiah is returning on January 3, 2020 or a similarly specific prophecy. Those can eventually be disproven.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 12, 2019 12:40AM

After my 'trial religion' (Mormonism), I hooked up with the Mennonites, 'religion light'.

I found a non-judgmental group of people who helped me work with my challenges, they trusted me when I didn't deserve it. I think that's been my greatest growth period, it started in about 2009.
I'll be Always grateful to the people of Toledo Mennonite!!

Date: December 12, 2019 12:48AM

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 12, 2019 10:27AM

Amish light.

Date: December 12, 2019 01:15AM

I have gotten a lot of favorable mileage out of my belief that I am both smart and handsome. These are terrible lies, but I know I am in good company when it comes to living a lie.

People have tried to convert me, to make me see the truth about myself, but so far I have successfully resisted.

Living a religious lie is useful to some people. Decrying the fact that many people enjoy living a lie is probably not a very useful pastime.

ElderOlddog, smart, handsome atheist

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: December 12, 2019 01:19AM

out of one religion only to go and adopt another.

Now I don't care. We humans are a weird bunch.

Beth, smart, beautiful atheist not afraid of burning in hell. Although the whole dead dead thing does suck.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2019 01:20AM by Beth.

Posted by: ptbarnum ( )
Date: December 12, 2019 02:58AM

Dead dead does suck, but it also puts a fine point on living a lively life, right?

I tried a whole bunch of religions, almost all of them, when I left the cult because I was sure there had to be a big T Truth out there and the Big Consciousness would love me for looking super duper hard.

I did find my big T Truth and it was that I was a smart, nice kid born to one monster and one nice but terrified person, and that I had been trying to make sense of why evil things happen since I was old enough to think. I was also searching desperately for a perfect parental figure who would love and protect me and make me feel safe and okay.

It took a while to understand that religion serves a lot of cultural purposes besides explaining God to the masses, that churches are made of ordinary humans, and that all my searching wasn't really about finding God because nobody's version of God suited me well enough, none of them were my ideal Sky Parent.

It was always way more about me trying to suss out myself and the bad things that happened to me than it was about agreeing with other people about the nature of a Creator.

All the time I was looking for my answers, I hadn't actually noticed all the exquisite wonder of the natural universe, which I eventually found I could explore myself, without prophets, scriptures, rituals or prohibitions.

I also had to learn to think more critically, because the monster that raised me did all he could to prevent me from doing that.

I've discovered now that I feel love for the universe instead of the other way around, which is surprisingly sufficient for me, and that my path to growing this love and sharing it with others is science and reason.

I never found my Sky Parent and have since quit looking because I don't believe there is one, but I did find a loving protector who keeps me safe and tells me I'm okay. It's me. I actually kick butt at granting myself forgiveness and have found that knowledge and skill beat random luck or prayers and offerings in terms of obtaining "temporal blessings". I have given myself many shiny objects without having to ask anyone for them, human or otherwise.

I call myself ptbarnum here because I want the reminder that behind the extraordinary spectacles of magical and mysterious things we get bombarded with in society, all the snake oil and cure-alls for the soul, all the secrets of old written in Ree-formed Uh-jipshin there is ALWAYS some other human getting paid. It reminds me that I used to be a sucker and cautions me not to fall for flimflammery again.

Or I call myself that because my life is a circus, it really depends on the day.

Date: December 13, 2019 10:28PM

Dead dead gets your attention.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: December 14, 2019 07:49PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have gotten a lot of favorable mileage out of my
> belief that I am both smart and handsome. These
> are terrible lies, but I know I am in good company
> when it comes to living a lie.
>
> People have tried to convert me, to make me see
> the truth about myself, but so far I have
> successfully resisted.
>
> Living a religious lie is useful to some people.
> Decrying the fact that many people enjoy living a
> lie is probably not a very useful pastime.
>
> ElderOlddog, smart, handsome atheist

Thats all true.

Date: December 14, 2019 07:53PM

Yes, she above all others knows how not-handsome and not-smart I am.

Thank you, baby!

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 12, 2019 01:19AM

Sounds like somebody needs a hug. Or a nap.

Date: December 12, 2019 01:30AM

Date: December 12, 2019 01:39AM

Dammit, I was going for silly.

Do another faux outrage post! Give us another chance to conform with your expectations...

Date: December 12, 2019 03:00AM

Yes, PLEASE! Another faux outrage post! I'm not sure I saw the last one.

Posted by: ptbarnum ( )
Date: December 12, 2019 03:03AM

Wha bout mine? You ain't heard whacked 'til you've read pt in theological overdrive, and I just now posted.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: December 12, 2019 04:51PM

>> The responses thus far are as shallow and wacked as LDS Inc.

I disagree.....LDS doesn't allow for anything other than what they tell you. No questions, no disagreement, follow the rules and be like everyone else.

Other churches don't do that, they allow for disagreement, open thinking, and you can come and go as you are.

People are telling you this in their responses. Nothing shallow about the depth of responses so far.

You, on the other hand, seem shallow and whacked like LDS when you propose that no one should join any church after LDS, you want people to conform to your view and all be the same, and when they don't you resort to put downs.....how ever so LDS of you.

Whats a deep response to you? "yeah, no one should ever join or associate with religion after LDS, and if they do they are stupid! yeah!"

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: December 13, 2019 03:30AM

Exactly

Posted by: xxMo0 ( )
Date: December 13, 2019 10:12PM

Complaining about "shallow" replies after an idiotically broad, vague and generalizing opening topic like yours?

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: December 12, 2019 02:51AM

The alternatives to organized religion are unorganized religion and no religion. Those don’t do it for some people.

Date: December 12, 2019 02:57AM

Reorganized religion!

Date: December 13, 2019 10:29PM

Date: December 12, 2019 07:50AM

It is a personal decision and really not your business. Also all religions are not the same. You may think religion is a lie, but others disagree and many churches leave the member free to interpret They aren't all Biblical literalists.You believe what you like and allow others to do the same without implying they are stupid.

Posted by: Jethro ( )
Date: December 12, 2019 08:25AM

Some need social that religion offers, some don't, some belong to country clubs for this, some as myself don't need it, because I find that being to involved with these organizations robs u of time if u let them. I tell people that ask, I allowed mormonism to rob me of my life, all I had to do is say no, but I try to please.

after all that no church for me, I play golf.

Date: December 12, 2019 09:32AM

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: December 12, 2019 09:17AM

You're going to be unhappy and angry when you realize that people will choose what works for them. There isn't one way to exit mormonism. If choosing another church or belief system works for an individual, then what's it to you?

Posted by: glassrose ( )
Date: December 12, 2019 09:58AM

I currently attend a Unitarian Universalist church. I go for the fellowship and ritual, which I find necessary in my life. I'm atheist.
People will do what they find necessary to have peace and joy in life. It doesn't make them fools, it makes them human.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: December 12, 2019 01:12PM

Jacko Mo Mo Wrote:
> They are all a bunch of made up BS.

Most of life is a bunch of made up BS. We tell ourselves all sorts of lies to get through a day.

A sense of community is something hard to come by. Summarily writing this off as BS buying is myopic to say the least and I'm the least of organized religion fans.

Your broad brush painting of people leaving Mormonism and joining something else doesn't do you justice. I wish no one joined another religion but at least I can try to see why. Ignoring the desires of other human hearts simply because they don't match your own isn't a flattering trait in my opinion.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 12, 2019 01:50PM

DON'T get me started regarding Bible literalists!

- Earth is FLAT (bc Bible says 'four corners'

- Earth is only 6k yrs old (or maybe 6 days, it depends)

- Everything on Earth is only there to serve humans

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: December 12, 2019 03:48PM

It depends on the type of friendship, fellowship, companionship, and connections you wish to maintain.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 12, 2019 06:32PM

Religious faith can have a lot of positives. You can have ritual, community, support, kindness, generosity, etc. Not every denomination is abusive. Many churches let you come and go as you please, believe or not believe, donate what you wish and volunteer only if it pleases you. For many denominations, it is not necessary to strictly believe every last bit of church doctrine.

Mormonism trains people to see things in black and white, but there are many shades of gray.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: December 13, 2019 12:43AM

Depends. If you join a dogmatic church that demands more of your money than you comfortably want to give, it may be stupid. If you join a less dogmatic church because you want a social group that maybe does good things for the community and doesn’t require you to profess belief or loyalty, it may enhance your life. Churches are social clubs. The mormon church is a great social club but too many strings attached.

Date: December 13, 2019 02:26PM

I think that the poster of a while back
"sex is my religion" had it as right as is possible.
I wish she were still here

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: December 13, 2019 10:27PM

But they're not all equally delusional (in denial of reality).
There's a spectrum that pretty much aligns with science denial. JW's are on one end of the spectrum, of totally delusional, along with MORmONs and Evangelical Christians.

Buddhists are on the other end of the spectrum, because they're reasonable. How many times have you heard a religious leader sound like the DL, "If my beliefs are contradicted by some scientific discovery, then I need to change my beliefs, even if it was the Buddha who said it."

Like Carl Sagan said, "Wouldn't it be great if there were a religion that said, 'Wow, a new scientific discovery. Isn't that great. We were completely wrong. But now we see that the truth is far more complex than we believed before. No. it's almost always the other way around."

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: December 14, 2019 03:51PM

schrodingerscat Wrote:

> Buddhists are on the other end of the spectrum,
> because they're reasonable.

================================

I see your point and mostly concur, but even reasonable Buddhists in righteousness commit genocide

All "truths" lead there eventually, because a curse of intelligence is we try and make sense of the world by imposing artificial straight lines upon it, and then confuse those lines with truth and with who we are. It's a limitation of evolutionary psychology. Of how are brains are wired.

- So, what's your favored sports team?

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: December 14, 2019 11:30AM

I find it bizarre too. IMHO, if one applies the same level of investigation, logic, and reasoning to other religions as one did to the Mormon church, you would ultimately come to the same conclusion.

One of the strangest things I have seen was a guy leave the church and become a devout Muslim. This guy was a BYU grad and RM, and over the past five years has totally devoted himself to Islam, including changing his name. growing out his beard, and moving to central Asia (a former Soviet 'Stan) to study at a mosque and teach English. Truly mind boggling.

Date: December 14, 2019 11:34AM

It is the follow the herd instinct!

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: December 14, 2019 03:33PM

Jacko Mo Mo Wrote:
>
> Watching Ex LDS YouTube stories, they lose all
> merit when they summarily announce they've joined
> Christian church X, Y, Z.
===================================

Not everyone puts a premium on "truth."
Like Henley's lyrics - "just give me something - something I can use "

Pragmatist or realist?

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: December 14, 2019 03:45PM

It depends on how you got into Mormonism in the first place. I started out Catholic. Then my Dad started taking me to the Anglican Church when I was a pre-schooler. Then as I entered my teens I began attending the Baptist Church with a friend.

When I left that organization, my friend got into Mormonism after meeting with the missionaries. I followed. We were in our mid-teens.

The way that I exited Mormonism was to study my way out and this led me to study religion as a whole, which caused me to leave religion behind entirely. I know that I will never be a religious person again.

But my friend went on to a non-denominational Christian Church. She had been taught to love Jesus from the time that she was a baby and that is deeply ingrained in her. She'd decided that Mormonism wasn't for her, but she didn't study her way out. She just left. So that didn't change her love for Jesus.

As much as you can't understand how someone could just join another church, a feeling that I share, I know that she equally can't understand how someone could just walk away from Jesus, simply because they left Mormonism.

As much as I can't understand it, I do understand that my friends don't necessarily think the same way that I do and I respect them for that.

Where I get annoyed is the fact that I don't give my friends a hard time for their beliefs and yet some of them can't resist trying to straighten me out, in their minds. Or some just downright disowned me. Maybe for that, I'm better off. I don't know.

Posted by: Dogbloggernli ( )
Date: December 14, 2019 03:48PM

Stupid implies intellectual reason. That is why I left. But it's not why all people leave. People leave for many other reasons.

And people believe for many reasons usually in exclusion of intellectual reason. So it should be no surprise that people go on believing and joining religions even though they left one already.

Rather than stupid, I find it entirely human of people to join religions.

Posted by: Old Al ( )
Date: December 14, 2019 03:59PM

This is proof that leaving Mormonism does not end judgementalism.

Date: December 14, 2019 04:05PM

As you are judging now?

Judgement is one of the methods of discovery and of clarification. Everything has an up side and a down side. Even judgement. Even German Chocolate cake. :)

Date: December 14, 2019 04:16PM

I don’t consider people who have a different opinion than I do stupid.

Date: December 14, 2019 04:17PM

Neither do I. It's not about stupidity.

Date: December 14, 2019 04:22PM

But the original poster did and that is what led to my comment.

Date: December 14, 2019 04:34PM

Well you do have a point there. I just got focused on the "why's" not the intelligence factor.

Some of the people I consider the smartest are still sucked into Mormonism or other religions I do not respect. We often discuss the why's of that, which interest me a lot. There is something at play besides intelligence for sure I would say.

Posted by: janeeliot ( )
Date: December 14, 2019 10:08PM

Old Al Wrote:
> I don’t consider people who have a different
> opinion than I do stupid.

+1

Date: December 14, 2019 10:06PM

+1

Date: December 14, 2019 04:02PM

For those of us who scrutinized all religion with the same critical eye as we did Mormonism, I don't know any who could join another church. The others are all just Mormon-Lite.

Joining another religion deemed less offensive than Mormonism seems to work for those who left because they were offended (many who claim they didn't leave for that reason, actually did).

You can't claim yourself truly as long as you need someone to tell you how to live, how to be. If there is any test of this life it is the same as the day we learned to ride bicycles without training wheels.

Posted by: carameldreams ( )
Date: December 14, 2019 07:16PM

Done & Done Wrote:
> For those of us who scrutinized all religion with
> the same critical eye as we did Mormonism, I don't
> know any who could join another church. The others
> are all just Mormon-Lite.
>
> Joining another religion deemed less offensive
> than Mormonism seems to work for those who left
> because they were offended (many who claim they
> didn't leave for that reason, actually did).
>
> You can't claim yourself truly as long as you need
> someone to tell you how to live, how to be. If
> there is any test of this life it is the same as
> the day we learned to ride bicycles without
> training wheels.

+1 billion

Posted by: carameldreams ( )
Date: December 14, 2019 07:15PM

Jacko Mo Mo Wrote:
>
> Watching Ex LDS YouTube stories, they lose all
> merit when they summarily announce they've joined
> Christian church X, Y, Z.

+1 billion

Date: December 14, 2019 10:05PM

Ah --- yet another caught up in projection -- because speaking of stupid...

You can be an atheist and join several religions including Hinduism, the most ancient, and Universal Unitarian, one of the more recent. Perhaps the OP can delineate exactly what "lies" are involved in being atheist. Or -- not so much.

Not to mention that many, many religious people understand their beliefs as metaphors and symbols not as literal truths. Of course that flies over the heads of the majority of Mormons -- and apparently some former Mormons, too.

Ignorance wedded to arrogance -- not just for the GA anymore!

Date: December 14, 2019 11:37PM

You can also.take the cafeteria approach and use what works for you and ignore what doesnt. Many religions are okay with that. It isn't nearly as black and white as the OP seems to think. I am gratified that many posters were willing to disagree with him.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.