Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: behindcurtain ( )
Date: December 25, 2019 08:32AM

$100 billion is only ONE SEVENTH of what the U.S. government spend in 2008 to bail out the banks! One seventh! Not even 20%! That is so tiny!

$100 billion is even smaller than the wealth owned by the richest person in the world! I read once that the richest person owns about $150 billion. The Church's wealth is PENNIES compared to that.

Compared to the national debt of over $20 trillion, $100 billion is a mere pittance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2019 08:33AM by behindcurtain.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Deb's son ( )
Date: December 25, 2019 09:16AM

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!

Boy, I'm glad I don't have $100 b. It's not enough, it's not very much money!

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: December 26, 2019 05:29PM

If I had 1/10th of 1% of 100 billion ($100,000,000) I would not be able to spend or know what to do with it.

There is only so much travel you can do, toys you could buy, ie planes, boats, houses.

I'd hate to have to deal with all the organizations, relatives, individuals that would come around with their hand held out asking for a hand out.

Give me about $5 million, I could possibly handle it.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: December 25, 2019 09:53AM

Less money than Jeff Bezos even after the divorce. In defense of Mormons, they also deliver crap to your doorstep.

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: December 26, 2019 12:29PM

To OP:

If you put in a little effort, you may actually create a humorous post...

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: December 26, 2019 12:37PM

A hundred billion is more than I make in a week !

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 26, 2019 02:22PM

There are countries in which the church has missionaries who are now walking around with a huge dollar sign over each one's head.

What's the church going to do when eight elders and two sisters attending a district meeting are kidnapped and the ransom demand is a mere $1 million per head? What are the parents going to say when the church suggests that it doesn't negotiate with criminals or that "We don't have that kind of money!!"

Just off the top of my head, here are countries where this risk is not only foreseeable but likely:

pretty much every country south of El Paso in the Western Hemisphere...

No, wait: pretty much EVERY country in the world!

Could this be the end of the missionary program with which we are all familiar?

How are they going to disabuse the criminals of the world that each missionary is NOT the scion of an uber-wealthy family?

How would they reorganize the missionary program?

I hope the cost is not too high in human life before they admit they shot themselves in the foot.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: December 26, 2019 05:03PM

Perhaps they'll arrange for ransom but deny payment, and claim that prayers were answered? Then the mishies can come back with great faith-affirming testimonies.

Everett Dirkson (R-IL) said, "A million dollars here, a million dollars there, before you know it, you're talking real money."

Dr. Evil: "Onnnne....Millllllllion dollars!"

The Financial Fiend: "A trillion dollars here, a trillion dollars there, before you know it, you're talking meaningless money."

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 26, 2019 05:06PM

The banks paid that money back, with interest, to taxpayers.

Do you think the LDS church will return the $100 billion, with interest, to tithe-payers?

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: December 26, 2019 08:03PM

I happened to be at my parents' home when a neighbor stopped by to leave my brother something for Christmas. She has lived there as long as we had/have. Our house was built in 1960. Her husband isn't mormon, but she is active mormon. Her kids, I'm not sure where they fall on the mormonism scale except she told me that she has a grandson on a mission in Tijuana, Mexico, and her granddaughter was in Bolivia, was held up at gunpoint, and came home immediately. She wasn't received well by the ward and she went inactive. She is now dating a nonmormon.

Another abduction could easily be in the near future.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2019 08:04PM by cl2.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.