Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: December 26, 2019 03:15AM

Gordon BS Hinckley claims to have been worried about money before getting married. But according to the official LDS inc video bio of Hinckley, Gordon just moved his newly wed self and his new bride into his parent's spare summer /ranch home. ......which one of your parents spare homes did you live in as a newly wed couple ???? to help you get on your feet financially !!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIkVNWHT-IA

http://www.ldsliving.com/3-Adorable-Proposal-Stories-from-the-Lives-of-Prophets/s/90275/?utm_source=ldsliving&utm_medium=sidebar&utm_campaign=related

Yes, stuff like that pisses me off, because I spent the vast majority of my young life working my ass off and broke anyway to make sure that THE (MORmON) church had what it demanded from me FIRST before any of my needs could be recognized.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: December 26, 2019 05:45AM

Winthrop had it so tough. I wouldn’t trade places with him.

Those guys are all victims of the church. The devil laid out a nice soft bed and they fell over themselves getting in it.

Posted by: decultified ( )
Date: December 26, 2019 01:20PM

Let's also not forget poor Willard M., who was forced to sell AMC stock when they were struggling sooooo hard…

http://www.msnbc.com/the-ed-show/1994-ann-romney-described-her-life

Quoting Ann here, while at BYU:

"They were not easy years… Neither one of us had a job, because Mitt had enough of an investment from stock that we could sell off a little at a time.

"The stock came from Mitt's father. When he took over American Motors, the stock was worth nothing. But he invested Mitt's birthday money year to year — it wasn’t much, a few thousand, but he put it into American Motors because he believed in himself. Five years later, stock that had been $6 a share was $96 and Mitt cashed it so we could live and pay for education."

Then at Harvard, poor dears…

"Another son came along 18 months later, although we waited four years to have the third, because Mitt was still in school and we had no income except the stock we were chipping away at. We were living on the edge, not entertaining. No, I did not work. Mitt thought it was important for me to stay home with the children, and I was delighted."

Is your heart not broken? Do tears not cascade from your eyes? Is the Book of Mormon not true?

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: December 26, 2019 02:20PM

Golly. Poor Mitt & Mrs. Mitt. And I thought I had it rough back when I was barely making it paycheck to paycheck and had to live on beans and hotdogs because the Bishop needed a special $100 assessment to put a new roof on the ward house.

Posted by: ptbarnum ( )
Date: December 26, 2019 02:38PM

"We were living on the edge, not entertaining."

Oooooohhhhh, agony...not entertaining?! I don't know about you all, but I have nightmares where I just can't afford to entertain. I can see the edge of oblivion yawning ready to devour me when I can't entertain.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: January 06, 2020 10:45PM

They were "not entertaining" probably means that they thought their very nice, but somewhat plain abode wasn't posh enough to make a big impression on guests from other wealthy, high-status families. So rather than embarrass themselves, they just decided not to throw any lavish dinner parties.

For me "not entertaining" meant that I didn't have enough cash to buy a cheeseburger for my buddy.

Posted by: Flyer ( )
Date: December 26, 2019 04:09PM

They waited four years before #3? Doesn't that go against church teachings at the time which was to keep on popping out babies one after the other? Maybe not official but definitely verbally pressured?

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: December 26, 2019 09:59PM

I still remember the days when the Church taught people not to use birth control. Space your kids? How sinful!

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: January 06, 2020 10:54AM

Ann's father was a billionaire, besides some of the Romney AMC stock that they were chewing up ....so you can see why Ann was afraid that she might end up starving to death !!! (EPIC EYE ROLL !!!!!)

the thing that really becomes apparent is how Ann was suitably phony and cheesy to marry someone as phony and cheesy as SUPER PHONY AND CHEESY Mitt Romney

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 08, 2020 07:31AM

Mitt and Ann are just so clueless. You would think they would have the common decency to keep their mouths shut.

>>We were living on the edge, not entertaining.

I lived with my brother and sister-in-law when they were both in grad school. I was in high school at the time. We were really poor. We entertained their grad school friends. Sure, the kitchen table was put together by my brother out of a plank of wood and pipes for legs. The chairs around it were all mismatched and from Goodwill. The kitchen shelf was made out of cinderblocks. The food might have been pasta with some salad and a jug wine. But some of their friends for that time are still their friends today.

Posted by: ptbarnum ( )
Date: December 26, 2019 01:57PM

Wow, I know it was tough when my sis was going through her 2nd bout with cancer and her Medicaid benefits went inactive due to a government computer glitch and her 17-year-old daughter and I did day labor and pawned personal items so we could purchase the $700 worth of medication my sister needed to survive that week, but WOW...

Selling the STOCK just so they could not work while getting educated and popping babies? I never knew it could be such a cold, uncaring world! Selling the stock? What's next, letting the chauffer go?

Mrs. Rom-- I mean, Howell: Ohhhh, Mitt...I mean, Thurston!
Mit-- I mean, Mr. Howell: It's alright, Lovey. I'll just have Gilligan send a bottle message off to my man of business. We may have to serve a few less bottles of Dom Perignon at the garden party, but we'll manage.

Me: ::eyeroll:: Don't they know anything? You never sell the stock! You need it for when Jesus comes back. Or for when the pitchfork rabble decides to make Soylent Green out of you. They did NOT listen to church teachings there, shame, shame. That money belonged in Ensign Peak!

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: January 07, 2020 07:18PM

When I was a married father of 2, working full time, finishing my degree at BYU, we found ourselves broke between paychecks.

So I called my TBM parents and asked if I could borrow $40 and would pay them back when I got my next paycheck.

My mother fussed and whined, asking if I "really needed it" and a bunch of other stuff. I finally said, "you know what, forget it. I'll figure out something else"....so we took out the money against our VISA card.

My parents were worth about $1,000,000 at the time.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: January 07, 2020 08:16PM

Anne Romney is a MacaRomney-Noodle-Head!
there I said it, :)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.