Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cannot Remember ( )
Date: December 28, 2019 02:22PM

If you are ever in an accident with a Mormon or come upon a horrific crash after the fact, check out the tires.

I personally know several people that pay their tithing as they drive on bald tires because they have faith the lard will protect them.

Three of them have totaled their cars doing this and they put everyone else on the road in danger to bless a church with money that doesn't use it for good. All three specifically told me they were unable to afford tires because of tithing. All three came out of the experience with faith stories of being blessed because they paid their tithing first.

One rolled her SUV because the tire blew out. She broke her neck, but she was blessed because she didn't die and was eventually able to learn to walk again with special braces and crutches. We are now paying for her disability through our taxes. But tithing blessed her bald tires.

A family of six rolled their van down the freeway after their bald tire blew out. They were not injured severely, but they related this story to me as a faith builder.

The other slid into a canal that thankfully was empty at that time of the year. They could not get out of the car and would have drowned. But they were blessed because of the tithing and that is why the canal was empty that day.

Start checking tires. . . and ask yourself if their tithing decisions do not put the rest of us in danger.

These stories have always pissed me off and with little billions secret out I just had to get this off of my chest.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: stillangry ( )
Date: December 28, 2019 02:28PM

Perhaps they were just runners up for the Darwin Award.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 28, 2019 02:31PM

How exactly do these vehicles pass the safety inspection?

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: December 28, 2019 02:53PM

In Utah, they stopped requiring safety inspections 3 years ago. Since then, we've had a large increase with vehicles losing control in rain and snow. Absolute stupidity.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 28, 2019 07:39PM

Shows how much I pay attention. :-/

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 29, 2019 11:37AM

Maryland just does safety inspections when you buy a car. I've seen some terrible cars on the road. Also if a police officer pulls you over, he can require you to fix things such as a light that has gone out.

Posted by: Cannot Remember ( )
Date: December 28, 2019 03:22PM

Many states have never required safety inspections. That was something for me to get used to when I moved out of Utah.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: December 28, 2019 03:37PM

My boyfriend says that all the drivers seem to think they have to get there first. I told him it is probably that they have no control over most of their lives, so they take out their frustrations when driving. I used to be afraid to drive in CA and then I did and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be because I live in Utah.

There are a lot of accidents with people backing into you. My boyfriend and I both have had it happen. When you are in a parking lot and you are completely backed out and someone backs out. We make sure we can pull all the way through now to park, so no backing. When it happened to my boyfriend, I told him, "That guy is telling you it is his fault now, but he'll change his story. Just wait." Sure enough, he said it wasn't his fault, but the insurance companies battled over it and my boyfriend won. I was the passenger and I saw it happen and then he lied. Thankfully, the girl who backed into my car didn't try to get out of it.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 29, 2019 11:32AM

I share your opinion about backing up, and am extremely cautious about it. A lot of drivers are blissfully unaware of what other drivers are doing as they back up.

I learned a lesson years ago. I was backing out of a space in front of my doctor's office, and was distracted due to the diagnosis I had just been given (it wasn't a bad recovery, just terribly inconvenient.) I was maybe 80-90% of the way out of the space, and therefore nearly perpendicular to it -- ready to drive off. Then the car opposite of me backed into me. Because I was still moving at the time, my insurance company considered me 50% at fault, which I thought was ridiculous. But that was how it was. It was the side of my car that needed body work, not the rear of it.

So now if I am backing out, and I see someone else start to move, I either pull back in to the space quickly, or just come to a complete stop and lean into my horn. But like you, I always try to find a space where I can pull through as much as possible.

I got a "new to me" car in August, and have been delighted with its back up camera -- such a help!

>>My boyfriend says that all the drivers seem to think they have to get there first.

When I used to visit Utah years ago, I thought the drivers were driving much too quickly for the snowy conditions. AWD can only do so much. I didn't feel like they were good drivers. And that's saying a lot for someone who has driven in the greater Washington, D.C. metro area -- home to IMO the worst driving in the country.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2019 11:42AM by summer.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: December 28, 2019 06:38PM

A Mormon can turn any accident which doesn't result in their own death into a faith promoting story.
The only reason they can't turn their own death into a faith promoting story is because, well, they are dead.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: December 29, 2019 11:11AM

You can't cure stupid.

Posted by: dumbmormons ( )
Date: December 29, 2019 01:38PM

Live in a Northern State and used to live in Canada as well. Idiots who go through winter without winter specific tires are not only stupid, they are dangerous.

A few decades ago when living in Utah had just put on on the studded snow tires and was driving the 215 going towards SLC. Three cars ahead went into a spin, doing loops. Two head slammed on the brakes and started skidding sideways. A lane over and in front same thing. I was aware of spacing and turned a lane over and onto the apron and went around as my rear view mirror showed a semi with big trailer sliding into them.

If not for winter tires I would have been in the 100+ vehicle pileup. It was snowing and the road was slick. I had plenty of space between me and the car ahead that started skidding - enough to maneuver safely. Could even have stopped - I had the traction. Then I would have been crushed by the Semi.

Simple thing to do, change over tires for winter driving where snow and ice hit. Few do it and end up paying for it.

Every year the first week or two those tires pay for themselves during the first couple of storms when people who forget it gets snowy and icy and slick misjudge stopping and slide through intersections. We can maneuver and get out of their way.

Good tires for the season are worth more than tithing.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.