Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Old Al ( )
Date: December 30, 2019 04:32AM

Has the location of Zion been moved from Missouri to Central Florida? This old article in the Guardian makes me wonder. And is this why they need $100 billion?https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2017/jan/30/from-book-to-boom-how-the-mormons-plan-a-city-for-500000-in-florida

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: December 30, 2019 10:22AM

Where are those Florida sinkholes when ya need em ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2019 11:44AM by kathleen.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: December 30, 2019 10:35AM

I certainly wasn't thinking in terms of this type of thing or $100 billion. I know without a doubt my parents would be upset about this if they were still alive. When I donated, I thought it was to keep the church running as in individual wards, building new stake centers or upkeep. I didn't even realize that the GAs got a salary or that MPs got all these benefits, etc. I thought that the GAs had a thriving career before they were called and that is what I was led to believe.

Now all this on top of them getting to live privileged lifestyles. If I showed my dad pictures of the homes they own, he'd be sickened. So would my mother.

If my daughter isn't sickened by it, she has a problem. Mostly her problem is she wants a guarantee her life won't turn out like mine. I wanted a guarantee, too.

I didn't give money to the church for this type of thing.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: December 30, 2019 11:36AM

Yeah, we were led to believe that if we got sealed up in the temple to a worthy mate and did everything tscc told us to do, we get a mansion in the hereafter and bliss for eternity.

Now I know that life is a crapshoot.

Date: December 30, 2019 09:42PM

who has been a bishop, etc., told me that life is a crapshoot when I asked him to explain to me why my cousin died at 37 with 6 kids. He said the leaders wouldn't agree with him, but that is how he saw it. I asked him to tell me why I should keep going to church after my husband left and he said, "I don't have any answers for you except I believe it is the right thing to do."

Makes me wonder about his beliefs.

But I hate how they made us believe and then we were let down so badly.

Do you think your own kids have some of this attitude? Hoping if they 'do it right' that they won't go through what you did or that maybe they can save the family?

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 30, 2019 10:45AM

No, you don't need $100B to sell high end subdivision lots. You make money selling them. They bought that land in the late 1950s when Orlando was a sleepy orange juice processing town. Then Disney decided to move there.

I think they have already sold off 30,000 acres as housing developments over the years, and still have 300,000 as ranch land. They can slice off new subdivisions as Orlando grows to the east.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: December 30, 2019 11:24AM

I'm confused, if global warming is going to put Florida underwater, why is the church putting millions into land development if it's all going to be flooded.

Hasn't the weekly Jesus meeting discussed the possibility?

Date: December 30, 2019 11:34AM

Florida is a big state. Not all of it will be under water. Plus they are not buying the development, they are selling it. That's what you should do if you expect the value of something to decrease in the future.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: December 30, 2019 12:13PM

This isn't science fiction any longer. It's in the next thirty years.

And Forbes isn't a "liberal" magazine.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimdobson/2019/10/30/shocking-new-maps-show-how-sea-level-rise-will-destroy-coastal-cities-by-2050/

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: December 30, 2019 05:21PM

Thirty years ago, Enviromentalists were saying that Florida (and some other coastal areas) were going to be under water in about thirty years. I have been hearing these predictions forever. I remember the Ice Age before global warming became the thing. Scientists were sure of that pending Ice Age. I do believe in being enviromentally conscientious and doing things to help, such as reducing plastic and being more careful of carbon emissions. But there is no need to panic.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: December 30, 2019 05:48PM

I second that, rising water is another scare tactic from the inteligesia establishment to try to get more control over our lives. The above article sites Ted Turner (another nut) buying land in Montana as evidence of global warming. That's the silliest thing I've read all week!

And as for plastic, it doesn't really matter if you use some, Where I work we go through tens of thousands of dollars worth of it every day and throw away (not recycle) unfathamable mountains of this. This is how industry is, we don't care, we just use what's cheap, and the public doesn't know anything.

If you want to make a difference with plastic stop buying anything.

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: December 30, 2019 05:49PM

anybody Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>Re: Everything south and east of the Everglades by 2050.
>
>
> This isn't science fiction any longer. It's in
> the next thirty years.
>
> And Forbes isn't a "liberal" magazine.
>
> https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimdobson/2019/10/30/
> shocking-new-maps-show-how-sea-level-rise-will-des
> troy-coastal-cities-by-2050/

The maps shown in the linked Forbes article are for a 10-foot sea-level rise (at high tide).

By 2050, the consensus sea-level-rise estimate is 20 - 30 cm (eight to twelve inches):

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-019-12808-z

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2019 06:26PM by lurking in.

Date: December 31, 2019 08:02AM

The selected sea level scenario points to a 64% risk of at least one flood over 5 ft taking place between today and 2050 in the Florida area.

https://riskfinder.climatecentral.org/state/florida.us?comparisonType=county&forecastType=NOAA2017_int_p50&level=5&unit=ft

https://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/sea-level-rise-endangers-homes-worth-billions-of-dollars-in-south-florida-11232702

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2019 08:04AM by anybody.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 30, 2019 12:16PM

Highest Point in Florida: 345 ft above sea level.

very little surface water there because virtually no snow, no mountains to retain winter snowfall like we have in the west.

Pumping ground water up & using it can't last forever because the way aquifers re-charge takes a long cycle; in Cali, the state is looking at regulating water rights which will quickly effect farms & our food supply.

'You can't fool mother nature'.

Date: December 30, 2019 12:35PM

Date: December 30, 2019 12:58PM

The Mormons own a big chunk of land there too.

Date: December 30, 2019 02:48PM

“Very little surface water”???

Have you ever been to central Florida? It’s one lake after another.

Date: December 30, 2019 05:29PM

I was thinking of moving, flowing water suitable for human use; IDK if any of Florida's lakes or swamps or any of that (I guess I was somewhat wrong) is usable for drinking, etc.

I know Nestle (others?) goes to northern states to capture water for bottling...

Posted by: not logged in ( )
Date: December 30, 2019 02:04PM

And look at the time frame. The 500K city is set for the year 2080. "Last days" my @$$.

Next time some ignorant mormon starts yapping about Jesus coming back soon, show them this article. Even the cult doesn't believe it.

Date: December 30, 2019 05:35PM

They would just tell you that cities are going to be built during the Millenium and money still will be needed in the Lord’s economy.

Posted by: not logged in ( )
Date: December 30, 2019 09:32PM

More evidence that they don't know their own doctrine. The millennial economy is supposed to be based on the "higher" law of consecration, implemented through the United Order, which is essentially Jesus-based communism. Think City of Enoch and 4 Nephi.

And you could also ask why The Lord will be insisting on using U.S. dollars as his global medium of exchange. The pre-millennial chaos would destroy all worldly economies, rendering their currencies worthless.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: October 06, 2021 12:31PM

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/manual/doctrine-and-covenants-student-manual/enrichment-l-the-law-of-consecration-and-stewardship?lang=eng

Will the lds church take the law of consecration out of the temple endowment now since they have a 100 billion dollar rainy day fund?

Date: December 30, 2019 09:44PM

Date: December 30, 2019 10:46PM

Excellent point! no need for civil governments or officials!!

need a building permit or a driver's license?

U gotta hook up with ChurchCo, maybe Jesus hisself!!

Posted by: Deb's son ( )
Date: December 31, 2019 01:07AM

That's where Scientology's based - Cult HQ

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.