Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: December 30, 2019 08:27PM

it's a vivid one full of sights, aromas and sound effects. Thanks for the reminder about Dilly Bars and 60's TV shows!

http://salamandersociety.com/donbagley/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Human ( )
Date: December 30, 2019 08:45PM

Wow:

“I had a disturbing dream about a boy in Rusch Park. A part of me thought the boy was me, and another part of me was afraid to think that. The boy stood on neon green grass in sweaty triple digit heat and ate himself with chattering teeth. He sucked out his own eyeballs and chewed off his skin and gnawed away at the bones until he was just two arms, floating. His arms were in tandem and moved like the second hand of a watch, rotating parallel to the ground. The arms drifted away in the heat haze, blown along like a dandelion seed.“

Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: December 31, 2019 11:40AM

this piece by Don has such teasing texture, context, and emotional overlayers.

The good news is that it appears Don has plenty more high octane gas in his memory lane muscle car's tank.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: December 31, 2019 12:31AM

Yowza, Don! You've done it again!

The best place to be a kid was anyplace where the grown-ups were NOT. Except for grandmothers, who were cool.

Posted by: Sassafras ( )
Date: December 31, 2019 02:18AM

I lived for awhile at the edge of Citrus Heights next to Roseville. I rode my horse in Rusch Park. My time there was several decades after Don's,but his story was evocative for me nonetheless. That nightmare at the end, totally a surprise...

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: December 31, 2019 09:41AM

My mother wrote lists for us everyday of jobs we had to do. She liked us BUSY. She also used her bedroom when we drove her crazy and I can't blame someone with 6 kids for feeling crazy. We'd tiptoe around and clean up the house hoping it would make her happy. It usually didn't.

Luckily, we never moved around. My brother still lives in the house they built in 1960. Moving from school to school and town to town and WARD TO WARD would be horrible especially for those of us who are introverts and have anxiety. My mother had severe anxiety, but was expected to be a good little mormon and go to all her meetings. The expectations of mormons are crazy. Six kids and then be a mormon, too???

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 01, 2020 02:37PM

My siblings and I also had to work from a chore list. We did all the dishes and the vacuuming. The boys also had to work in the yard. In La Grande we had had chickens and horses to tend. Several times, as we moved form house to house, Dad would have me and my brothers dig ditches for lawn sprinklers. He was nuts about putting those in. Everything benefited him. He made money selling each house, and we got no allowance or lunch money. It was hardscrabble for no reason other than him making it that way.

Date: January 01, 2020 05:33PM

school clothes, etc., at least we had that option. I could spend as much or as little on school clothes as I chose. It seems your parents just saw you as slaves. I sometimes felt that way as I sure hated hoeing beets. It wasn't the hoeing, but the horseflies, etc. We actually had a lot of fun as siblings working on the farm, lots of happy memories and funny memories.

Posted by: montanadude ( )
Date: January 01, 2020 12:30PM

Don, for me your stories are like car accidents. I can't stop reading though I know how painfully dysfunctional will burn a memory. In a way, you had your own form of "Educated". Thanks so much for sharing!

Date: January 01, 2020 05:34PM

Did you have one, Don? It seems like you might have. It isn't just the subject of your stories, but your writing abilities that draw me in. You paint a picture.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 01, 2020 06:20PM

I have written a book of about 90,000 words that's autobiographical. It covers the decade from 1972-1982, and it deals with all the Mormonism and the street life I lived, the boys ranch, coming of age, and Army service. The book is available on Kindle for $2.99. The title is "Orphans of Babylon." No one has reviewed it yet, and I think it may be a tough read. It certainly was a tough life. Thanks for asking, cl2.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.