Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Alan XL ( )
Date: January 02, 2020 07:35PM

Here in Oz the bush fires rage out of control, people dying and devestation is at every turn.

Every charity and selfless organisation is giving everything that they have to help out.

But the worlds biggest billion dollar charity, the bloody mormons are no where to be seen.

THE BASTARDS!!!!!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 02, 2020 08:40PM

I hope you and your loved ones are okay. We see the fires and read the forecasts but it is difficult to imagine what you and your compatriots are experiencing.

I hope Oldpobot is correct in thinking that the political balance in the major economies is shifting in favor of recognizing, and responding to, reality. The Mormon Church will remain AWOL, but hopefully democracies and their governments will start taking this seriously.

Posted by: oldpobot ( )
Date: January 02, 2020 11:22PM

The politics of this will be very interesting to see. The Federal Government and the Prime Minister are copping a caning in most of the media and in the community, for lack of action, lack of foresight and complacency around climate change.

These fires are indirectly affecting about half of the population of the country, and everybody knows people who are being affected more directly. Inevitably this will lead to a new political focus.

My next concern is longer term, what will happen to change our democratic structures so that technocrats rather than politicians get to determine our responses?

(Sorry for the non-Mormon focus in these threads, but climate change is going to affect our medium term future much more than any other issues).

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: January 02, 2020 09:51PM

The photos - I can't wrap my mind around the size and intensity of those fires.

Thinking of you all. Words fail.

Date: January 02, 2020 10:15PM

Twelve million acres on fire. That's bigger than Maryland and approaching the size of West Virginia.

Twelve million acres

In 2018, ~2 million acres burned in CA wildfires.

I cannot wrap my head around twelve million acres burnt or burning.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: January 03, 2020 12:27AM

And most of the acres are where people live.

Australia is mostly desert with a small habitable region along the coastal areas. The fires are not around Alice Springs.

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: January 02, 2020 10:40PM

Said it Before
Say it AGAIN:

ALL COUNTRIES SHOULD PROHIBIT SENDING MONEY, STOCKS, ETC. TO CHURCHES & CHARITIES OUTSIDE THEIR OWN COUNTRY!

THAT'S THE MOST OBVIOUS & EFFECTIVE WAY TO HURT CHURCHCO!!

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: January 03, 2020 12:52AM

GNPE1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Said it Before
> Say it AGAIN:
>
> ALL COUNTRIES SHOULD PROHIBIT SENDING MONEY,
> STOCKS, ETC. TO CHURCHES & CHARITIES OUTSIDE THEIR
> OWN COUNTRY!
>
> THAT'S THE MOST OBVIOUS & EFFECTIVE WAY TO HURT
> CHURCHCO!!

Didn’t help us here in Northern California.

In fact I’d have sworn I saw the Stake President hang a sign on the church’s big iron fence, “GO TO HELL, SHASTA COUNTY!”

We thought we had.

And BYW, how many churches do you see with big iron spikey-topped fences around them ?

Posted by: silvergenie ( )
Date: January 02, 2020 11:11PM

Don't worry Alan, the mormon church will be there to help us after the hard work has been done and the fires are out of course.

They will don their yellow helping hand vests and hand out little hygiene bags that have been donated by tithe paying members whilst posing for well orchestrated photo shoots as they pat themselves on the back.

Keep safe Alan, I hope you are in an area that is not being impacted. Here in the North-east of Victoria the smoke haze is pretty bad today, we have fires at Glenrowan, Bright and near Myrtleford. We are on a wait and watch alert and hundreds of tourists are leaving our very historic little town known Australia wide for its famous bakery.

Our car is packed and fuelled up ready to go at a moment's notice and that could well be tomorrow as we are expecting 40 degrees celsius (for our American friends that is around 104 F).

And before I forget - thank you America and Canada for sending us some of your fire fighters, with so many fires burning around the continent we need all the extra help we can get.

Date: January 02, 2020 11:57PM

Have we sent ships?

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: January 03, 2020 01:31AM

Who said they were a charity?

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: January 03, 2020 02:20AM

There will be a slight delay in the mormon's charity assistance in Australia. Apparently, they are awaiting new yellow shirts that don't have the word "mormon" printed on them. But, don't worry, you will see them soon enough, along with the cameras so they can get some good photos for the next Improvement Era magazine cover.

Posted by: oldpobot ( )
Date: January 03, 2020 02:47AM

Ha! there are very few Mormons in Australia, so they fly under the radar in all circumstances. Can't see any reason for any of the $100 billion to find its way Down Under.

Interesting question being asked here, is how much disaster relief should be provided by the government rather than private charity donors and NGOs? Since governments have been cutting funding for fire services etc in the name of fiscal management, why should private donors and charities have to fill the gap?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2020 02:47AM by oldpobot.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.