Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: September 21, 2010 11:08AM

Just saw this on CNN. Wondering when something similar might happen to Zions bank?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: September 21, 2010 12:14PM

Seriously - waking up one morning to hear on CNN that the LDS church finances were being investigated for money laundering is my number one dream scenario where the church is concerned.

... although I'm not holding my breath for it to happen.

Posted by: I believed this once, years ago.. ( )
Date: September 21, 2010 11:32PM

The Vatican has been "dirty" for ages.. I hope the agents doing the investigating are super sharp..those bankers will use every trick in the books to keep hold of every penny.

More than "Zion's Bank" I hope LDS Church finances will be revealed. I don't think that money laundering is their problem, but I bet the members would probably be shocked at how little money is used for charity and welfare, and how much is spent on investments and a top heavy administration with the peons at the bottom used as slave labor and the few at the top who have unlimited credit card funds.

Posted by: fancypants ( )
Date: September 21, 2010 11:36PM

are there any estimates as to what the first presidency and the 12 make?
I was under the impression that they lived like senior missionary couples.
I remember also believing that they would pack their lunch if they had to drive a long way on a sunday or fly someplace. My mom was trying to tell me that even the prophet had to spend money on sunday sometimes and I wouldn't believe her... though I was 10 and doubtful cause she was stopping for lunch after church. I wish I could go back and tell my 10 year old self to shut up so we could have more after church lunches since we lived 45 minutes away from our ward.
I'm appalled by the lack of charitable contributions, but when I mention this to TBM they say it is because they can only use fast offerings for charity to which I say that is a bunch of bull crap! I bet the Lord would rather have starving children eat than to have a 4 Billion dollar mall.
It's like SLC thinks it's the next Dubai lol

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: September 24, 2010 12:21PM

One of my professors in college was an auditor for the IRS. He was given the assignment to go to the church and check the tithing records to see if certain members of the church were really paying the tithing they claimed they were paying. He said on the church side of things they had very good records and the books were in order.

The church fears IRS audits and goes to a lot of effort to avoid any problems there. What is apparent is how much the church brings in, how little it gives back to the members, and how little they give in charity. Most the money is invested and there is a whole commercial side of the church the average member has no idea what exists.

Posted by: The exmo formerly known as Br. Vreeland ( )
Date: September 22, 2010 06:00AM

They didn't get him for murder. He went down for tax evasion.

Posted by: Master C ( )
Date: September 22, 2010 09:07AM

That I can't find at the moment about one of the popes who was trying to expose this and was found dead, who many believe he was murdered. I think he was the pope before John Paul 2

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: September 22, 2010 09:38PM

Master C Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That I can't find at the moment about one of the
> popes who was trying to expose this and was found
> dead, who many believe he was murdered. I think he
> was the pope before John Paul 2

That was John Paul I who died a month after his election. There are some conspiracy theories about his death which have never been proven.He probably died of a heart attack.

Posted by: Leah ( )
Date: September 23, 2010 12:05AM

LOL I actually like the Catholic mass. They also have the best artworks and music.

But it would be highly unusual for the Vatican banking system not to have a little dirt, seeing they are located in Italy and real close to Sicily, ancient homeland of every Mafioso to ever wash up on our shores. LOL

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: September 23, 2010 08:06PM

Guess its happening all over the place, I cant wait for CNN to say the LD$ is being investigated.

Posted by: I believed this once, years ago.. ( )
Date: September 23, 2010 09:51PM

well-to-do CEO of a major company would make (at least six figures) but handed a virtually unlimited credit card for any "expenses". Who decides what are legitimate expenses? I guess they do. Who knows?

(P.S. All this is from my memory of previous posts - anyone with more specific information, please correct me. And, don't their children and grandchildren attend BYU for free? And my guess is that they have one heck of a healthcare program.)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.