Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 03, 2020 11:06PM

It's Fast Sunday, but this time they'll fast with a real purpose in mind. How's ghawd going to tell the difference?

Ya know, believing in the Calvinist ghawd probably makes life a lot simpler to deal with: "what will be has already been determined."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: January 04, 2020 02:43AM

From the article: “The church has already donated thousands of dollars in humanitarian aid.”

Thousands !!!!!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 04, 2020 03:30AM

I'm laughing right now, Kathleen.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 04, 2020 11:22AM

And the odds favor the ‘thousands’ actually come from individual members giving money to the church and checking the “Humanitarian Aid” column on the tithing slip.

In other words, not money the church already had. So they are getting credit where no credit is due.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: January 04, 2020 12:06PM

So have I. Do I get a prize?

Posted by: oldpobot ( )
Date: January 04, 2020 05:13AM

Well it's the thought that counts! I'm sure local LDS members will donate as many ordinary people do. But think how much positive PR the church could generate by donating just $1m from its cash stockpile to every natural disaster that occurs around the world, rather than just asking its members to cough up yet again.

Thursday night here and the battle goes on all up the south-east coast. So far no large loss of life, but the morning will tell how many towns, businesses and farms have been lost.

The effort to change the national climate change politics will get a huge boost. Lets hope we can generate some real international momentum.

Posted by: Bishonen ( )
Date: January 04, 2020 05:26AM

Next up: the COJCOLDS suggests people at sacrament don't drink the water, so it can be donated to Australia.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: January 04, 2020 06:14AM

Er, um, you Mormons were going to fast anyway, right, so, don't put yourselves out, or anything.

I also get angry when I find out about those people who donate "thousands" and tens- and hundreds- of thousands to disasters, but keep quiet about it. The focus and the news stories should be about the victims. Next, it should be on what others can do immediately to help the victims. Next, how can we prevent more disasters like this from happening. Then, way, way down on the priority list would be The Mormon Church and it's BS publicity and hype.

When I think of "thousands of dollars" spent by Mormons, I immediately think about some of the wealthy Mormon families I knew in California, who donated $10,000 in the husband's name, $10,000 in the wife's name, $10,000 in each each of their 4 or more children's names--against the gays in Prop 8. They were proud to have their names on that list.

Mormons put their money where their heart is.

The next time a Mormon asks me for money or help, I'll just say, "No--but I'll fast and pray for you on my next regular fasting day."

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: January 04, 2020 06:21AM

It's very early in the morning, and I didn't mean that I get angry at anonymous donors--I get mad that the REAL helpers don't get anywhere near the adulation and hype that the Mormon cult gets, and these people really deserve to be thanked. Many of these people went to the scene, themselves, and rolled up their sleeves and pitched in. What about all the brave fire fighters? Not as faithful as those who fast and pray, I suppose. They have planes and dozers and chemicals and equipment and crews working together--but The Mormons have Gawd! We all know how effective Gawd is, in saving lives and property.

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: January 04, 2020 10:16AM

Yes! When they were helping one of the flood/ hurricane aftermath disasters, they wore those bright yellow or orange shirts , ones that you could see from far away, to make sure everyone notices them. Of course, the churches name is all over the shirt saying “ Look at me, look at me !!”.
They probably had to pay their own way to help out and pay for their own cleaning supplies.
The church gets credit for what others are doing.
They can’t do anything anonymously.
Making donations in the name of the church should be broadcast all over.
I wish there was a way to make donations to a reliable source to help put up giant billboards all over the country warning what the church is really about.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 04, 2020 09:53AM

Fasting? I fasted until I couldn't stand up when I was trying to find out answers to my own life and what good did that do?

It is so much bullshit. And like others have said, they were going to be fasting anyway.

I, myself, have a testimony of fasting. After we got married, I never fasted again.

Now if all the fires stop and they save half a billion animals, they'll take credit.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: January 04, 2020 05:20PM

A bit of perspective.

If the church earns a modest 1.83 percent a year. That is $1,830,000,000 one billion eight hundred thirty million dollars a year.

In a 366 day leap year that is $5,000,000.00 five milion dollars a day.

So if the church gave thousands, they haven't even given a days earnings.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: January 04, 2020 07:58PM

And here’s another perspective:

It’s a small down payment on a used car.

Date: January 04, 2020 08:51PM

Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: January 04, 2020 09:01PM

How do we even know that the money spent isn't to help them rebuild burned-down meetinghouses? they have over 200 wards there.

"THOUSANDS"...makes me sick. What a giant slap-in-the-face.

The morg would rather "fast about it" because fasting costs nothing.

What slimeballs.

Posted by: oldpobot ( )
Date: January 05, 2020 01:02AM

Mormon church is off the hook - singer Pink has donated $500,000 to the relief effort. She is very popular here.

Also many sports stars here for tennis tournaments etc are donating their winnings.

Something like 15 million acres now burnt and not over yet. Thankfully human loss of life has been low to date, although many little forest towns are inaccessible so no-one knows what has happened there.

Politicians under extreme pressure from the broader community to mention the dirty words: 'climate change'!

Date: January 05, 2020 11:23AM

forest to save koala bears. He had saved over 10 from what the article said. Some he saved may not make it. He has done more than the entire mormon church has done.

So the fast has begun. I'll be dropping some fudge off at my daughter's home. I'm not being mean or funny. She wanted it and she hasn't picked it up for her in-laws. I'm sure she won't eat any of it (I've made it for her entire life and we are all burned out on it), but her in-laws and husband will.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2020 11:23AM by cl2.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.