Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 04, 2020 03:44PM

"The LDS Church does not demand tithing payments. They strongly encourage tithing payments. There are many members of the church who are not active, do not pay tithing and are not in fear of losing the church membership. And no member of the church is ever threatened with excommunication for failing to pay tithing."

This Bill guy must have been a member of a different mormon church than the one I was raised in. When it came to tithing, the church: hunts, stalks and corners members to "settle up". In my ward, the bishop would read a list of members that had "come in early" to meet with him (usually in November). When I thought the church was true, I wanted my family's name to be on that early tithing list, but my Mom would be one of the last members to settle. Often she would drive over to the bishop's house on the 30th or the 31st.

Ever see executive secretaries and ward clerks chasing people down the hallways, trying to get elusive members to agree to meet with the bishop?

I bet everyone saw a list of names (both hand-written and typed) on the Bishop's door.

So please try again to tell me that LDS Corp never gave a damn about tithing, budgets and expenditures.

What I clearly remember about the church's greed/stinginess (Don't you dare gaslight me!!!)

-No ward christmas dinner for 2 years because no funds in the budget.

-The YW being told that they would not be attending a week of summer camp, but that the church would make up for it with a root beer float night at the church.

-I was senior patrol leader of the boy scouts when we won the all 9 competitions for our area jamboree. We beat out 12 other troops. Our reward was the honor of wearing a special color "chord" that was worn on the arm. The church/bishop wouldn't pay the 7 dollars needed to purchase a chord for a dozen scouts. We were not allowed to fundraise because SLC had established some arbitrary amount that could be raised/spent on scouting.

-A sister lost her job while supporting her son on a mission. Every month the bishopric pleaded/begged members to donate to the ward's missionary fund. No help from SLC.

I can not recall when the miser of a church ever paid for anything. No, it's always been members paying out through tithing and donations.

And if you really want an unpleasant experience, try spending several hours on a Saturday doing an audit from the church's internal accounting. And this had nothing to do with financial records, this was for materials and supplies used in the clerk's office.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 04, 2020 03:47PM

This is a key issue for Mormon denial. They all lie about this one. One missionary even told my brother that he was welcome to attend church dressed in sweats and pay no tithe. When my brother pressed him on it, the missionary said,"Well, at first..."

Posted by: cl2notloggedin (cussing) ( )
Date: January 04, 2020 04:01PM

with horrible knees after my mother died. He was concerned my mother would be angry at him for not going to tithing settlement and making sure the tithing was all paid by the end of the year. He could barely walk to his pickup to drive to the farm and just sit there and look around at his farm, which he DEARLY LOVED. It was his father's farm, too.

But he walked on those horrible knees to find the bishop that last week of December a month before he died. The bishop said it would on the next year (and I bet it did), but my dad insisted. You didn't tell my dad no!!! I'm sure the bishop was intimidated by my dad even at his age and with his health problems. My dad died a month later.

When he talked to me about it, I told him that "God would understand."

They can't tell me they don't pressure you to pay tithing. My dad wasn't too mormon, but he wanted to make sure it was done for my mom.

And, I, myself, didn't see my daughter married, the one I sacrificed everything for, because I don't pay tithing.

Excuse me LDS church.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 04, 2020 04:02PM

"You can not be a part-time member of the church"
Russell M Nelson

That means tithing must be paid to the church. You can not simply attend without paying up. You will be pressured to comply or go away. It's that simple.

Posted by: villager ( )
Date: January 05, 2020 03:51AM

But apparently in the olden daze Russ could be a ghostly part- time surgeon.

Oh no, my brain just triggered an old song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTQlsoRD658

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: January 04, 2020 05:41PM

While it may be true that no member has been threatened with excommunication, they use your family as blackmail saying if you don’t pay tithing, you can’t go the temple, and if you can’t go to the temple, you’ll be separated from your loved ones for all eternity. If you want to see your loved ones in the next life, you had better pay up.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: January 04, 2020 08:37PM

You may not be excommunicated for not paying tithing, you'll just be burned at the second coming.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: January 05, 2020 10:47AM

Every year you get to hear the story of Ananias and Sapphira. No, you don’t have to pay a full tithe. But if you hold out God could strike you dead.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: January 04, 2020 08:37PM

Well for heavens sake people! Of course you need to pay tithing and a full one at that. Don't you understand that $100 BILLION is not near enough for Jesus? Do you want to be the one to tell him that is all we have?

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: January 05, 2020 01:21PM

It’s a control thing, like pimps and hookers.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 04, 2020 08:48PM

a TR is more like a Membership Card to churchco; I've been asked when applying for a BANK LOAN if I (+DW) had (has) one.

Yup, it's true.

this was SEATTLE FGS, not some po-duk Uber-Mormon small town/small bank!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2020 08:50PM by GNPE.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: January 04, 2020 10:01PM

GNPE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> a TR is more like a Membership Card to churchco;
> I've been asked when applying for a BANK LOAN if I
> (+DW) had (has) one.
>
> Yup, it's true.
>
> this was SEATTLE FGS, not some po-duk Uber-Mormon
> small town/small bank!

I got rejected by my Sister's Bishop, from blessing my nephew and ordaining him a priest because I couldn't produce a recommend. Long story there. I started talking shit about Mormonism on the internet, anonymously, a long time before I resigned, just to keep the peace with my TB Wife, who was an ultimatum issuing hypocritical control freak, who slapped me one time for suggesting we go see Schindler's List because it was rated R, in front of her whole family. FML
I had 4 kids with her and there was no way out without throwing a molotov cocktail in the middle of our relationship by admitting I had serious doubts about our faith to our kids.
Leaving after finding out about how really racist the church is on the internet, and by reading lots of books on the subject, like Insider's View of Mormon Origins, In Sacred Loneliness, etch.
Somehow my TBM Sister found out. It was extremely embarasing to travel from out of town for this special occasion, the first time one of my Nephews became an Elder, and this asshole has to pull the "Temple Recommend" card on me to make it obvious to the entire group. that I was unworthy to touch my Nephew and pronounce a blessing.

Fucking CULT.
It wasn't long after that i resigned and told my abusvie bithc wife to go fuck herself.

Posted by: Old Al ( )
Date: January 05, 2020 10:57AM

I missed temple marriages for all of my children, but knowing what happened in there I really didn't miss a thing. I had to choose between paying my housing payment or paying the LDS Church. Easy choice.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 05, 2020 12:12PM

ChurchCo needs obedience more than it needs $, that's perfectly obvious, abundantly clear.

Without obedience, people (members & others) would see thru their insanely arbitrary rules, policies, & procedures which they mask as 'doctrine'.

In so doing, they've effectively obliterated any distinction between right & wrong, good & bad by means of exclusions & exceptions to their claimed values, purposes.

Stupid Cult.

Posted by: ldsandatheist ( )
Date: January 05, 2020 02:25PM

Hi all,

I do agree with most of the posts describing the church as miserly.

Of course you will not be excommunicated if you fail to pay a full tithe, or if you do not pay your tithe at all. But you will not be admitted in the Temple, and you may not access to exaltation.

This is part of the Church hypocrisy. We love you, we do not force you to pay your tithe, you are free but … beware, you will be regarded as a second class citizen on this earth and in the afterlife.

I remember a discussion the ward priesthood had 22 years ago or so in Paris, France. They were talking about members visiting from a different country and asking for their French "brothers and sisters" to host them for a couple of nights. The bishop made it clear that that should not happen, and that members should not be traveling at all if they could not afford it (based upon one of Hinckley's speeches, I guess). I found it appalling. What is the point of being part of the Lord's big family if we cannot help each other now and then? I really like the idea of being invited
at a members'home while vacationing abroad. I invited a few foreign members when I was active in the church back then. They really appreciated it.

The way lds church deals with money is disgusting.

Love!

ldsandatheist

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.