Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: January 05, 2020 05:06PM

At my FIL's funeral after losing a long battle with cancer, my IL's Bishop approached me about my struggling MIL depending upon the church to pay her bills.
He told me it was my responsibility to look after my In Laws, not his or the church's responsibility.
She borrowed money for a month, yet never stopped paying the GD CULT 10% of their meager income for over 50 years. That's about 5 years worth of income she paid to this greedy, heartless, hypocritical CULT, socking away $100Billion for a homecoming party for Jesus.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ptbarnum ( )
Date: January 05, 2020 07:15PM

Yep. Exactly. A slush fund that will become irrelevant or inaccessible at some unspecified future apocalyptic time is their excuse for hoarding money that can be used for people who are dying of disease, poverty and hunger right this very minute around the world. If they really wanted to stick it to their critics by actually doing stuff Jesus taught that people should do, they totally could

Instead they guilt trip the sandwich generation family members into dealing with parents who will still mindlessly hand over 10% of their SSI payments and praise SLC for the privilege, just as they have done for decades and will do until they die. Then they'll expect a tithing settlement before they'll let you use the hall for the funeral reception.

The greediest, coldest, most hypocritical thing personally witnessed was the matter of my FIL's casket.

Keep in mind, the Bishop and ward knew in clear detail about FILs terminal illness and the fact that there was not going to be any money to cover even a basic dignified funeral.

He died so impoverished that MIL had no money to pay a funeral home for services, so he was not embalmed. His (non-mo) hospice nurse washed, dressed and posed him immediately postmortem, on her own time, and he was placed in a cardboard holding container in the county morgue. The (non-mo) nurse case-manager convinced a local philanthropic trust to donate money and we were able to reserve a very basic casket at cost from a funeral home owner who gave veteran discounts. In total, the charity grant was about 2/3 of the needed cost of the casket, which was 2/3 better than the 0 that the cult gave.

They made a huge mistake and cut the check to my MIL. She cashed it and yeah, she tithed on it. Of course she freaking tithed on it, when it wasn't enough to cover the whole cost of the casket anyway.

At the very, very last moment the whole deal fell through because the rest of charity check had to go for some unforeseen expense or another, I never found out what, and a family friend of a friend ended up building a pine casket for my FIL overnight, the day before the funeral, in his garage, from lumber bought at Home Depot using one of the kids' credit cards.

The Bishop was discreetly petitioned for money to help, at least to return the tithing on the charity check because it was earmarked specifically for funeral costs and there were still plenty, like the interrment fee at the cemetary. The answer was no, of course.

Also, the chapel was reserved for an area seventy visit so the whole service was graveside, in snowy February. For a lifelong devotee who served a mission, fought in a war, and starved his kids so tithing could be paid.

Cold. Greedy. Hypocritical.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 05, 2020 08:40PM

ChurchCo was knowingly complicit in a vicious, deceitful divorce done by my 'TBM' wife.

Her sworn financial statements were from Outer Space, but ChurchCo gave her a TR anyway.

Honesty, Kindness, Repentance & Forgiving? not in Morland!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2020 08:41PM by GNPE.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 05, 2020 09:10PM

I've talked enough about mine. One, though, that happened to a woman in my parents' ward (was my ward when they were in it, too). Her husband cheated on her several times even while in the bishopric. She had a daughter who had a brain tumor and she had enough to deal with. She waited until the kids were all raised and moved out. Her daughter with the brain tumor had passed away. Then she divorced him. The SP and bishop would not give her a TR because she wouldn't forgive him AGAIN. She chose not to go to the temple, but kept going to church.

She eventually moved. It is a rather small town, not really small. Her bishop called her in and issued her a TR without even asking the questions. He told her it was about time they made things right with her.

There are many stories. I'd have to think for a while. I'm really surprised I stayed in the church as long as I did. Being mormon isn't a very good experience for MANY people.

Date: January 05, 2020 09:25PM

Divorce: Not LGBT people, Not SSM, NOT ANYTHING ELSE is the biggest, most serious threat to MoFamilies, yet they don't seem to have any consistent way of dealing with them; this is a result of the automony the Bps & SPs 'enjoy', in 99.9999999 % of cases, they're completely free from review or criticism of their decisions, action.

Two people or families with nearly identical circumstances - situations living in adjacent wards often have vastly different outcomes - results.

But mormons say that God isn't the author of confusion (New Testament) All things must be done in ORDER (BoM, D&C), another LIE that they ignore.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2020 09:32PM by GNPE.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 05, 2020 09:30PM

putting in his 2 cents when it comes to a divorce. My "husband" is lucky I had left the church already. After dealing with leaders before we married, there was no way in hell I was ever dealing with them again. There should be NO interference from church leaders in divorce situations. It is NONE of their business. Divorce is so difficult as it is.

Besides, remember, there are no LGTB people in the lds church. It would be interesting to know what they did in gemini's situation, if she hasn't already told us, when her husband came out to her. All I know is that any time I involved a church leader, the outcome was a mess.

Date: January 05, 2020 09:34PM

OK, but in my case ChurchCo gave DW a TR KNOWING her sworn court stmnts were False; what should they have done?

P.S. this is Abundantly clear they allowed this because I refused to play their silly games, I called them on their lies...

when I called them on one of their lies, the SP told me 'It's not important'...Got That, ChurchCo lies 'aren't important'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2020 09:38PM by GNPE.

Posted by: delbertlstapley ( )
Date: January 05, 2020 10:00PM

100,000,000,000 a big pile of tithing money benefiting only LDS Inc.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: January 06, 2020 06:22PM

In their old age, my TBM parents put my TBM brother in charge of their investment portfolio (he worked for an investment company). By my brothers own admission, he was not always 100% honest and he never managed his own money....over spent, borrowed from my parents a lot, didn't save, etc. I asked my parents "so big brother is watching your money....question is, who's watching big brother? How do you know he won't do things that benefit him and not you?" Other siblings had the same concern. TBM parents seemed oblivious to the situation and figured it would all be fine. At the time they had about 7 figures of investment money.

A few years go by and they both die rather quickly. At that time, the portfolio had dropped about 2/3 less that it was in previous years.

While finalizing the estate, another TBM brother was taking to the TBM money manager brother, and after reviewing the accounts, he asked why he had put 100% of their money into the highest risk accounts, so that when the market tanked, they lost 2/3 of their money? They were retired, old and potentially near death, the money should have been in low risk accounts so it wasn't lost.

TBM money manager brother answered " I didn't do that for them, I was doing it for us.".....meaning that he knew they didn't need the money to live on so he wanted to take the highest risk and make the most money possible for inheritance.....didn't pan out....hence my initial concerns.

Posted by: ptbarnum ( )
Date: January 06, 2020 06:34PM

Yuck. And I bet they still play "happy harmonious TBM forever family" in public while wanting to wring his fool neck in private.

I don't have that plush of a portfolio but when I get too frail to deal with it myself I'll hire someone to manage it, that way if anything happens, my kids have someone to hold accountable besides each other.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 06, 2020 06:26PM

It sounds like your parents passed away in 2008 or 2009 or 2010. . .

Terrible timing from a financial perspective. If the portfolio had remained in play for the next ten years, you all would have made out well.

I'm sorry for the loss of your parents and for the (lesser) pain of losing so much money.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.