Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ravilatterdaysaint ( )
Date: January 09, 2020 06:18PM

Ladies & Gents,

Yesterday I had posted about finding a combined pdf version of "Encyclopedia of Mormonism" found here:

https://contentdm.lib.byu.edu/digital/collection/EoM/id/5427

Because of some perceived offense, my post was removed.

Her Ladyship yesterday had mentioned that she owns a text searchable CD. I was wondering if she would be willing to help me.

This is a time-sensitive research am working on and your help is appreciated. I am at a critical stage of finishing my thesis.

This is not available online (I mean the entire book as pdf).

Thanks very much indeed.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: January 09, 2020 07:51PM

Can someone help please?

Date: January 09, 2020 08:53PM

How come I got zillion replies within 30 min utes of my post yesterday and none today ?

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: January 09, 2020 09:05PM

Edited because I’m just too cranky.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2020 09:19PM by kathleen.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 11, 2020 09:18AM

Let it all out. Tell us how you really feel. *LOL*

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 09, 2020 09:10PM

Perhaps if you gave us some hint as to the points you wish to make with your thesis, then maybe someone knowledgeable in that particular arena could pass along something of what they know? Could it hurt?

For example, I am a fountain of information regarding the relationship of the 1962-1965 dance craze, The Twist, and how it related to Gold & Green Balls, versus the regular Saturday night dances at the National Guard Armory. I was even there the night Huey Mortenson did the 'dirty twist' with that really gorgeous blonde from the 5th Ward! Yowza!!!

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: January 09, 2020 09:17PM

good luck on your thesis EOD ~

wood read 10/10 ~

thx ~

Date: January 09, 2020 09:19PM

I really am not going to react to any of these. I am here purely for academic purposes and will stick to it strictly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2020 09:20PM by ravilatterdaysaint.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 09, 2020 09:21PM

Bless you, my son.

Date: January 09, 2020 09:27PM

Hey you must have gotten this a lot - “I remember you”

Date: January 09, 2020 09:57PM

Have you received your pdf file yet?

Date: January 09, 2020 09:59PM

Every time you announce that you're not going to react... that's a reaction!

But seriously, though I am as stupid as I look, I am not without resources: What is the topic that you want to see in your very own .PDF of the entire Encylopedia of Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saintism, as Rusty McPipes Nelson would call it?

Date: January 09, 2020 10:01PM

EOD, I am not going to react to your drivel.

Date: January 09, 2020 10:07PM

Usually, my first drivel, there on the tee box of the first hole, can be counted on to go fairly straight, but not long.

Please, PLEASE, avoid the temptation of trying to drivel any further!

Date: January 09, 2020 10:13PM

I don’t think the umpire would allow that, would she?

Date: January 10, 2020 10:34AM

“ gorgeous blonde from the 5th Ward” - I usually refrain myself from discussing such topics.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 11, 2020 09:21AM

I had the hots for the gorgeous black haired lamanite from the 5th ward.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: January 09, 2020 11:23PM

Have you looked at the link: https://eom.byu.edu/
for a thesis I would guess you could just site the page and book volume for the references at the end. The teacher shouldn't mark you down for that.

Why do you need a pdf?
if it is so important perhaps take the page that you want (which is in php or Html) and right click and save it into a pdf.

Date: January 10, 2020 10:32AM

Ok , here’s a justification to request the entire pdf (in response to one of the earlier posts):

I need to crawl through the entire pdf to see recurrences of specific words (I have about 20 such words to look up). Based on that I am validating a certain abstract clustering of ideas - these words add up to these topics.

And as for my thesis title, I have not come up with one yet. Usually, title is one of the last things you come up with (based on the experience from my precious two theses).

And, speaking of the html thing , would someone be able to give me script that will parameterize the page number here:
https://contentdm.lib.byu.edu/digital/collection/EoM/id/4391/rec/1

It runs from 1 through 1029.

I basically need a script that will loop through these pages, download the pdf from the url, put them in a folder and finally combine all the pdf through some “merge” function and give me the final encyclopedia that am looking for .

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 10, 2020 10:42AM

Lots to ask with little to motivate people. Your results aren't surprising here. This is a recovery site. Perhaps these people would help you.
https://tech.churchofjesuschrist.org/forum/

Posted by: East Coast Exmo ( )
Date: January 10, 2020 10:43AM

So now you're asking for free software development?

Have you put forward the slightest justification for why anyone here should help you?

Date: January 10, 2020 11:12AM

Cuz he’s cute and sassy?

Date: January 10, 2020 11:21AM

Because , my boss,Her Ladyship is a blonde. That’s why I don’t discuss blonde jokes in open forums .

Date: January 10, 2020 11:43AM

The encyclopedist doth protest too much.

Date: January 10, 2020 11:54AM

If you want a research assistant, you should pay for one.

ETA: No one here has what you need.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2020 11:55AM by Lot's Wife.

Date: January 10, 2020 11:56AM

And if you want a clean chapel...well...

Date: January 10, 2020 12:14PM

Yes, if you want a clean chapel, Elder Berry is your man. You should see him with a toilet brush.

Magic. Pure magic!

Date: January 10, 2020 12:45PM

It is God's scepter for His throne of holy sphincters. Never think any job is too lowly for God. A prophet's pen, a toilet brush. Mormonism is next to godliness.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: January 10, 2020 03:45PM

Regular participants here are usually quick to help others and slow to turn off. To accomplish the latter takes talent. Though not one that is admirable.

Maybe an apology for the bull-in-china-shop entrance? It's like a guy going into an antiquarian bookshop and demanding they sell him a comic book. They just.don't.do.that.

This forum is for people who have left the Mormon Church for a multitude of (excellent) reasons. Even so, someone may have an urge to assist anyone at all, about anything, if approached with a modicum of common courtesy. Not to mention a bit of advance appreciation.

"Of making of many books there is no end, and much study wearies the body." Eccl. 12:12 NIV

Maybe you're tired from all that studying. I hope it does you some good. If not, we're here, and the door is always open. For those who have questions and know they don't know all the answers.

Edit to Add: We also do not appreciate your outrageous anti-Semitic comment here. Did you learn that in Sunday School?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2020 04:30PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: January 10, 2020 12:16PM

You can use the search function on this link, no need for pdf to search. Results will be on the numbered pages.
https://contentdm.lib.byu.edu/digital/collection/EoM/id/4391/rec/1

Date: January 10, 2020 04:01PM

Hahahahaha! He's probably tearing his hair out!!

If I'm understandhing this correctly (75/25 against me), He wants one .PDF document that contains the entire content of the E of M so that he can search particular words through out the entire E of M!

He wants to document such word occurrences in order to either prove a point he's already got in mind, or to see if any patterns exist that would prove a point that wasn't already part of accepted mormon thought.

No doubt he's been Bingged the Google Duck-Duck and found no way to accomplish his goal, so he came here, hoping that some big domed ExMo would show him the way, because, hey, that's the kind of rep we have here! Or that you guys have. I'm just here cuz I'm horny...

I wish we could have helped him because maybe it would have turned into something fun!

Date: January 11, 2020 09:13AM

Spot on about the research problem. I know you or someone you know has got the CD or .pdf . What’s stopping you to give it to me I have no clue.

Date: January 11, 2020 10:48AM

You don't need the CD, you don't need it in PDF. I already explained how to do your word search and tie it to the page numbers. You would already be done with your project if you just rolled up your sleeves and got to work instead of trying to get something that nobody has.

Date: January 11, 2020 11:10AM

Bro. Mitchell is correct!!

The whole EofM is searchable from the page he linked to!

Enter the word to be searched in the box titled ‘search this record’.

Try it...

Date: January 12, 2020 09:58AM

He is being very idealistic. It is like saying you don’t anything to live the gospel - revelations alone are enough . Which is true. But we live in a world where we need tools . And for this research I definitely need the entire portable document - CD is good . Moreover if I search something as per his suggestion, there is no privacy . Backend people will know what I look up - my research is very sensitive and I cannot afford it.

Date: January 12, 2020 10:00AM

AND you are spot on about one thing - I am coming up with something that has not existed in accepted Latter-day Saint thought. This is mind blowing stuff .

Date: January 12, 2020 09:11PM

"It is like saying you don’t anything to live the gospel - revelations alone are enough."

No, that is absolutely not what I am saying. Its more like, get yourself a stack of 3x5 index cards and a recipe file box, look up the page numbers at the link I gave you, write down your notes and file them. How do you think we lived without computers? You don't need what you are asking for to be able to do what you want to do. You'd already be done if you would just get to work instead of pissing and moaning about what you don't have.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 10, 2020 04:55PM

I really don't understand the request.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: January 12, 2020 03:50PM

I don’t get it either. OP intends to use the PDF reader’s search function? Cuz if you write your own search code it’s going to want raw text. There’s no mention of tools, applications, programming languages, algorithms, nothing.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: January 10, 2020 05:39PM

Suck it up, abd make the drive down to BYU in Provo. Make a day of it; better yet, spend a few days there. Go to the Marriott library, and camp out there, until someone helps you. BYU is always in need of a good shake-down. I smile, thinking about this.

Date: January 10, 2020 05:58PM

He's probably a BYU student too lazy to go to the library.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: January 10, 2020 06:10PM

The code sounds really hard. What I'd do is go down to Harold B. Library and see if I can find a cdRom of this. Check the institute buildings and go down to the Church history library and see if they'll let you into the sealed off archives upstairs. (maybe you'll need GA aproval)

Date: January 10, 2020 06:46PM

Here's the whole encyclopedia in a nutshell:

"A ne'er-do-well liar and pedophile hatched up a scheme that netted $100 billion dollars."

Date: January 12, 2020 12:53PM

It must be handy to pull out the “Polite Version” when the “Nasty Ill-Mannered Manipulation” fails.

Date: January 12, 2020 03:16PM

That’s right . We are talking about billions of dollars here .

Date: January 12, 2020 03:30PM

I'm liking you!

It's a treat watching you come out of your shell and coming to grips with your needs, only to get kneed. It may not be worth billions, but it's still a treat!

Posted by: Dallin Ox ( )
Date: January 12, 2020 06:01PM

Oh, this just gets better and better.

Billions to whom? To the church? The church is already sitting on a pile of over $100 billion. It doesn't need any more. We're not interested in enriching the church.

Billions to… you? So you come to us demanding free stuff ("gimme a PDF, gimme a CD, gimme a script") so YOU can become a billionaire? ROFLMAO. Then you pay hundreds of millions in tithing to the church. We're not interested in enriching the church.

You imagine we're stupid for leaving the church; you've said as much. Clearly, you think you're smart for staying – because wooden Jaredite submarines and a literal Tower of Babel are really smart things to believe in. And you figured us dull-witted apostate lunatics (your word) would prove to be easy marks for your mormon genius, and now you're just beginning to figure out that you might have miscalculated.

That snotty attitude of yours no doubt served you well on your mission, when you could bully and browbeat your way up the ladder. It's made to order for the meek, submissive mormon culture where boundaries are discouraged and "no" is a dirty word. As you're discovering, though, it doesn't work that way outside mormonville. Actual, functioning adults do not simply bow their heads and say yes, especially to random strangers who make unreasonable demands and then insult them when they don't immediately comply.

If you can find someone here who is gullible enough to cater to you, good for you. But I doubt you will, since you've already antagonized pretty much everyone. You might find more success among the brainiacs at Deznat or the LDS Freedom Forum. Those guys are solid.

Have you tried fasting and prayer?

Date: January 13, 2020 01:59AM

There's a megalomaniacal touch to his posts. His tone brings to mind Dr. Evil and his billions of dollars, so too the condescension and demands.

I'm not sure this person will achieve anything regardless of whether he finds his precious. Best forgotten, methinks.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.