Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: January 10, 2020 03:26PM

I've read Simon's new book "The Sacred Curse" and appreciate Craig Paxton's thread introducing us to the good news of its publication.

I just finished clicking around, reading and reviewing Simon's new site: https://simonsoutherton.com/

The book is excellent but the site's extra features add some real zing and spice to the background behind the book and Simon's own experience.

The "GA Letters" section is particularly revealing as to how childish and primitive these so-called "inspired" Mormon leaders really are.

The "Reviews" section contains a most impressive review by a real Native American, Forrest Cuch, who has personally met Simon.

I am in hopes that Simon's work spanning more than two decades will continue to enlighten those willing to question the foundation of their Mormon culture, changing that dark heritage into a scientifically "RIGHT and delightsome" culture of inclusivity, respect, and racial integration.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: beyondashadow ( )
Date: January 10, 2020 09:00PM

I enthusiastically second cricket's recommendation of "The Sacred Curse."

I had the pleasure of spending a long weekend with both cricket and Simon Southerton (and his better half) last October while I was in Utah for Sam Young's March to End Child Abuse.

Having the opportunity for hours and hours of "off the record" conversation with someone with Simon's credentials and experience is ... well ... a Pearl of Great Price.

Check out Simon's new book ... only $7.50 for the pdf download. (This post might get banned as advertising?) If I don't include the link, maybe it's OK. (Check cricket's post for the link.)

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: January 11, 2020 05:40AM

When wooden submarines don’t do it for you, look at the DNA.

Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: January 11, 2020 03:30PM

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: January 11, 2020 11:55AM

Just spent a while at his website. Very interesting story about his own dna, and surprising results that point to undisclosed relationships in his family history.

Simon Southerton was very influential in my life. His story (used to be story #125) was the first thing I ever read that was critical of Mormon beliefs. I read it on the first night I expressed doubts to my husband. He had already printed it out, and underlined the good stuff, ready to share when I was ready :)

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 11, 2020 12:17PM

For newcomers to the board and the exmo community, Simon Southerton is the go-to expert for DNA analysis, especially as it impacts Mormonism and BoM issues. He used to post here regularly many years ago, but understandably had moved on to other things. His work can be trusted, and is highly recommended.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 13, 2020 10:07AM

Not only an expert on DNA but also a class act wielding fact.

Mormons being as afraid of fact as vampires are of sunlight, though, this latest just gives them even more reason to keep the curtains of the mind closed---as that is there only option as there is no reasonable response to the evidence laid out by the DNA explorers. It's tough out there for an apologist.

This book is just more evidence that the book of Mormon does not contain the fullness of any gospel but is certainly full of something.

Are Mormons still doing those tours of "Book of Mormon Lands?"

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 13, 2020 10:20AM

Wow. Talk about Cultural Appropriation---one of the big No-No's of the last year!

Just looked it up. So many BoM Tours you can take-- each featuring a different Mayan or Aztec ruin! Still time to join the Land of Nephi tour with Izapa in January. Or if you miss that you can still book for Nephi to Zarahemla with Palenque " . . . where we will analyze Kaminaljuyu’s stela 10, an altar that dates to 147 BC and may suggest a transfer of kingship from King Noah to Limhi (see Mosiah 18 & 19)."

THEY HAVE NO SHAME. Lemme tell ya.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: January 13, 2020 03:06PM

Kudos to cricket for pointing us to Simon's most worthy website.

Furthermore, lest I be remiss, I should also like to thank cricket for making arrangements for Simon to address the Arizona Exmos at a gathering hosted at my own humble Mesa abode way back in 2005.

It was truly a night I shan't soon forget.

Godspeed Simon Southerton.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.