Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 11, 2020 04:42PM

I’ve talked about my family here at length. For those who haven’t read it, I’ll introduce the situation in a nutshell. My Mormon father hustled and cheated all his life to build up a pile of money. Non-Mormorm sons and daughters of his were denied, while faithful Mormon ass-kissers were rewarded with lots of money. It was obvious that Dad was trying to prove the prosperity gospel by fattening his Mormon children and starving the apostates. The fucker played god.

This is the story of one of his daughters, my sister. Let's say her name is Kay. She and one other sister were born late, after the first five siblings had been seriously damaged by our insane Mormon parents. My mother, being slightly less oblivious than Dad, demanded that her last two children be treated with kindness and generosity. Of course, Dad refused. It was his money. Mom proved her point by leaving him with the two girls (at this time I was serving in the military overseas) and moving in with a relative. This could have hurt Dad’s reputation as a perfectly righteous Mormon, so he responded. A deal was cut, and Kay and her sister were raised with allowances, lunch money, etc. They were even given cars in high school. You can read about my time in high school and compare.

Kay left the church in her late teens and married a rock musician in the Los Angeles area. She had three children with the guy, and then she divorced him, because they were broke. Kay moved with her children to Utah, where Dad was with Mom. Kay announced her devotion to Joe Smith, and she received a Jeep and a free rental home from Daddy. Then Kay met a Mormon guy who was 37 and had never married. People were seriously wondering about this guy. Kay and the guy who certainly wasn’t gay married in the temple for Daddy. Dad gave them a half million dollar house and bought them a nutritional food powder business.

Dad died last year. The business, in the hands of Kay and husband, went to hell in a prairie handcart. The FDA failed them in an inspection, stating that laboratory equipment used to measure the food powders for purity sat unused and filthy. None of the equipment had ever been calibrated. There were no records of quality control. The FDA gave them time to correct the problems but they failed. Their payroll man quit, and they discovered he’d been stealing from the company for years. He’s going to prison. Kay is screwed. The company is toast, so Kay put her half million dollar house on the market. It still hasn’t sold after almost a year.

This is the family that disowned me for my immorality. This is Mormonsim, Bagley-style. The above is verifiable and online for all to see. That's how I found out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2020 04:43PM by donbagley.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 11, 2020 05:52PM

Karma...again...delicious irony.

Date: January 11, 2020 06:00PM

My schadenfreude is showing.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: January 15, 2020 12:48AM

Let your schaaah-den-freude shine before men
Let your schaaah-den-freude shine
So that they might know some justice again
We all need help to feel fine
Let's have some wine!

Date: January 15, 2020 02:23PM

Ha ha ha!

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 11, 2020 06:16PM

Date: January 11, 2020 06:35PM

Don't know yet, but he did have a separate apartment, the last I heard.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 11, 2020 07:20PM

wherever he is. We can all guess where he is IF there is an afterlife.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: January 11, 2020 07:04PM

I'm sure things are better for you without daddy dearest around but sorta too bad he's not around to see how the prosperity gospel is working for Sister Kay.

Date: January 15, 2020 12:49AM

He'd probably bail her out. Blech.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: January 11, 2020 07:22PM

These sorry sagas are not restricted to Mormons.

My Christian Science mother (ranked very high in the cult) left her CS daughter several million. Atheist son #1 and Born-again Christian son #2 got a couple hundred thousand. "You wouldn't have gotten anything," Mom said, "except your father made me promise not to shut you out completely."

Over the decades, I think I out-earned my sister, but she did pretty well with her working capital.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: January 15, 2020 01:41AM

Yes, religion sure brings out the worst in some people.

My cousin (non-Mormon) wasn't raised in any religion. He married a Lithuanian Catholic. His wife's mother disowned her daughter for marrying him because he was not Catholic AND he was not Lithuanian. After the mother died her other, younger daughter married a born again Evangelical Christian but she did not get disowned because she only married after the mother died. Some kids have all the luck.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: January 18, 2020 01:00AM

Religion is the patina corruption is covered with.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: January 18, 2020 01:06AM

I’ve seen similar situations. Some of these hustling Mormon dads who push the church on their kids can be huge hypocrites. I don’t know the psychology behind it but dad seems to get off being the big guy both with money and he seems hell bent to use his money to control the kids and making them do the church thing is part of it. One family like this I knew the dad was having an affair with his secretary and divorced the wife when she was terminally ill. He married his secretary.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: January 11, 2020 10:04PM

Wow. It has to be pretty bad for the FDA to shut them down because they couldn't correct the problems.

I wouldn't be surprised if Kay ends up trying to make friends with you if she goes on the hunt for her next person to sponge off of.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2020 10:05PM by dagny.

Posted by: Eric3 ( )
Date: January 13, 2020 03:18PM

That's one hell of a story!

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: January 14, 2020 03:57AM

So glad I live in a country where children cannot be left out of the will. By law, a minimum of 50% of the estate has to be left equally to the surviving dependents. The other 50% can be donated to a charity or other organization, or it can also be put into the pot to be spread equally among surviving dependents. But the money that goes to the dependents is spread equally among the dependents. Nobody can be left out, and one kid cannot be favored over others.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: January 14, 2020 05:40AM

The law is similar where I live and I agree wholeheartedly. It saves so much bother and prevents parental grandstanding.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 14, 2020 09:29AM

Humans being the often contrarian creatures they are, it seems to me that an old, motivated parent could ‘leave out’ a disfavored offspring by doing the assets distribution before death...

Leave an estate of 100 Euros, so that each of the four kids gets 25 Euros, fair and square.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: January 14, 2020 12:11PM

Wife and I have 2 kids and 5 grandkids.

We did the will/estate thing a few years ago, each kid gets 25% and each grandkid gets 10%.

We had the kids review it before we signed and they thought it was more than fair.

The only concern they had was what to do with our remains, we stipulate cremation. We said we'll be gone, so they can do what they want with the remains. They didn't think it was funny when I mentioned the garbage is picked up on Wednesdays in our neighborhood.

Date: January 15, 2020 12:59AM

Heh

Yeah, my kid and I talk about what to do when I die. I'd like a home funeral (maybe) and a green burial. We've talked about this enough that the ick factor is pretty much gone. Bottom line, though, is for her to do what is best for her.

I hope I live long enough for there to be more green burial areas. I'd hate for her to have to tote my carcass to Klickitat.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2020 01:05AM by Beth.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 14, 2020 12:14PM

Do you mind sharing where you live, alsd? Is it Canada?

No need to reply if this is too intrusive.

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: January 15, 2020 06:51AM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do you mind sharing where you live, alsd? Is it
> Canada?
>
> No need to reply if this is too intrusive.

Denmark

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 15, 2020 02:56PM

Thank you.

I love your country.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: January 14, 2020 10:48PM

I've said this before and I'll say it again because it bares

repeating... Your family is so F*****ed up . I don't know how

you became the wonderful and considerate person that you are. You

must be so strong and it kept you sane. I'm glad we are friends.

Date: January 14, 2020 11:08PM

Thanks for being there for me.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 14, 2020 10:58PM

My story of a deceptive & greedy divorce rivals yours, Don.

Date: January 14, 2020 11:08PM

You have my condolences. You may want to write about it. It helps.

Date: January 14, 2020 11:54PM

Date: January 15, 2020 12:32AM

I think it's listed.

Date: January 15, 2020 01:38AM

no, it isn't, but mine is: manderst@yahoo.com

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.