Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Gold&Green ( )
Date: January 12, 2020 02:05PM

Here in a rural Utah area have noticed affirmation signs popping up all over in yards. ("You can make it", "You're Enough", "Don't Give Up", etc.

Does anyone know if this is a new church thing?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 12, 2020 02:29PM

I did buy my "husband" a rainbow blow-up Christmas tree lawn ornament, about 8 feet tall. We proudly set it up.

Posted by: MCR ( )
Date: January 12, 2020 05:11PM

It's because of the spate of teenage suicides over the last year. Are you around Richfield? Sevier County, and maybe Sanpete, too, had much higher suicide rates last year than the US or Utah.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: January 12, 2020 06:51PM

That makes sense. Living in Utah made me consider suicide.

Posted by: Ted ( )
Date: January 13, 2020 12:52PM

I am so very sorry if that happened to you. Hope you are doing well now, but this was a very funny comeback line. I lived in Utah and felt suicidal most of the time too (not really...but I hated it with a passion).

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 13, 2020 02:34AM

Wow. Thanks for the perspective, which some of us living outside Zion don't have.

How tragic.

Posted by: Gold&Green ( )
Date: January 14, 2020 12:50AM

Oh that is so sad but it makes sense. I thought it was some new thing for depressed women in RS or something.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 13, 2020 03:52AM

It would be nice if the parents said those things to their children instead of creating another generation of guilt-ridden neurotics.

Date: January 13, 2020 12:35PM

Yes.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 13, 2020 12:40PM

Mormonism is all for show - external and eternal.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 13, 2020 12:45PM

Exactly.

And, besides telling them YOU can make it, YOU are enough, and Don't Give up YOU, perhaps along with the hugs say, I'M here for you. I'M proud of you. I'LL always have your back cuz we're in this together.

Date: January 13, 2020 12:47PM

Nah, Jesus never said it would be easy. He has your back and in fact is carrying you on his.

*squeaky sound of only one set of feet walking.

Date: January 13, 2020 12:51PM

Contrast that nostrum with Jesus's words: "my God, why hast thou forsaken me?" Was Jesus hard of hearing?

The teaching that a deity is actually helping you when you are in great pain is one of those ways in which the church makes the victim feel inadequate.

Date: January 13, 2020 12:53PM

Right? God only helps those who help themselves...to another helping of God's infinite suffering.

Date: January 13, 2020 12:56PM

God will never let you suffer more than you are able to bear.

Whatever you feel, Jesus felt more.

A bit more faith and you'd have been fine.

Mormonism is the gospel of inadequacy.

Date: January 13, 2020 12:59PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mormonism is the gospel of inadequacy.

And mediocrity. Unless you are willing to be a secret hornet in their hive you will suffer the fate of all worker bees and drones.

Date: January 13, 2020 01:02PM

why does Job suddenly come to mind?

God is betting you can do it!

Date: January 13, 2020 01:33PM

And he'll get you another wife to do it with.

Date: January 13, 2020 01:34PM

The first one was only a starter wife anyway. . .

Date: January 13, 2020 01:58PM

Kinda like Lot's wife.

Date: January 13, 2020 02:01PM

Well, there is that.

Date: January 13, 2020 12:48PM

Signs and cute sayings and memes and messages on T shirts are no substitute for the real thing. Of course, Mormons don't know what the real thing even is.

Date: January 13, 2020 12:59PM

Man if I lived in Utah, I would get a blow up doll of Rob Schneider, with a loud speaker that repeated "YOU CAN DO IT" on a continuous loop.

I would be so Utah cool for doing that...just very very special I would be and so inpiring.

Some Mormon reading this thread from Utah please do this and post it to youtube so I can see it. No copy right here on my idea...freebie.

Date: January 13, 2020 01:01PM

How about a sign in the middle of these "You can make it", "You're Enough", "Don't Give Up" which says "Bow your head and say 'Yes!'"? That would be so inspiring.

Date: January 13, 2020 01:52PM

Oh yeah even better...it is a church of one-up-man-ship, so I am thinking this may very happen in some fashion. I am just we're here to give them these great ideas so that they don't have to pray and fast about how they can be better than their neighbor.

So much competition in Mormondumb...it's stressful being a Mormon. Sheesh..no rest for the righteous indeed!

Date: January 13, 2020 02:03PM

No wrest from the spite in us unless we bow our heads and say yes.

Date: January 13, 2020 02:04PM

I don't think it was coffee EB had to start the morning today.

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: January 13, 2020 02:55PM

I don't remember hearing many encouraging words from LDS Inc. while growing up. Instead, the following un-affirming messages were drilled in my brain:

It's better to come back in a coffin from your mission than to quit and return early.

Don't be a liked cupcake!

Pre-marital sex is next to Murder!

Masturbation is evil and leads to homosexuality!

If you have pre-marital sex you won't be worthy of a priesthood holder!

You'll be separated from your family forever if you're not sealed in the temple!

Be ye therefor perfect!

None of those messages are encouraging. The will not give the youth hope, improve their character, make them better human beings or help human kind, and certainly not prevent suicide. LDS Inc. does not focus on making a person feel good about themselves. It imposes impossible standards and sets up the youth for failure without much of a safety net. No wonder so many members take anti-depressants.

The new youth program is focused on being worthy of the temple. That'l make the youth feel good about themselves - constantly being told what they need to do to be worthy.

No wonder people in Utah have to put affirmation signs in their yards. The Mormon youth are not getting the message in church.

Date: January 13, 2020 03:01PM

Those are important points. Makes me think the best signs would say, "Run for your life!"

Date: January 13, 2020 03:05PM

Literally true, which is why Affirmation--a group whose semi-affiliation with the church bothers me--is so important right now. If those signs can save a single life, they are a wonderful thing.

And I think the signs, and the occasional ward speaker who embraces tolerance, probably save dozens of lives.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 13, 2020 03:08PM

There is still so much of the attitude that making it is to keep from being true to yourself as anyone, but especially the gays.

And the part of God won't give you anything you can't handle. I proved that one wrong to myself.

Some of those things that made it ALL fall apart, like my therapist saying we mormonism to its limits and it failed us. I still the gays struggling. The old bishop's son is still going to BYU and there is no doubt in our minds he is gay. My daughter even asked me if I thought he was. He used to come over and talk to my "husband" all the time and was always extremely friendly with me. I worry about him.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 14, 2020 01:12AM

"We love gay people now! (We just hope they'll change so they won't be a threat to our families.)"

Date: January 14, 2020 10:38AM

That's it in a nutshell.

Although, I would put it this way:

We love gay people now! (We just hope they'll change so they won't be a threat to our families---since we were getting bad press from treating them so badly and need to just hope they will feel ashamed and keep out of sight which makes it easier to appear loving.)

Now, where did I store that electroshock machine . . . .?

Date: January 14, 2020 11:29AM

Done & Done Wrote:
> Now, where did I store that electroshock machine .
> . . .?

How's the conversion therapy working on those kids of GAs?

Posted by: anonandanon ( )
Date: January 15, 2020 02:47PM

In a Mormon Institute Fireside I attended, a Mormon Psychologist explained to everyone that being gay is not sinful but acting gay is not acceptable. I asked if it was a sin for gay, same sex, friends to hold hands. Answer: Yes. It is also a sin to be roommates (without sex) with someone of the same sex if you are gay. And, of course, kissing is forbidden. Couldn't he have just said it is tempting fate as tscc says to heterosexual couples rather than making everything sinful?

They can accept you being gay but you can't show it in any way. What a way to live your life if you are gay and LDS.

Affirming someone is fine but is it too much to ask to be loved?

Date: January 15, 2020 02:50PM

> is it too much to ask to be loved?

This is the heart of the matter. It is why the church's doctrine about homosexuality is pure evil.

Date: January 15, 2020 05:56PM

anonandanon Wrote:
> Affirming someone is fine but is it too much to
> ask to be loved?

It is more than that. In Mormonism it is a sin to be you regardless of your sexual orientation. In their garden myth you become like one of their gods knowing good from evil. And instead of choosing a religious ascetic life for yourself are assumed to be one all your life.

Pure evil.

Date: January 15, 2020 08:03PM

"Is it too much to ask to be loved?" Says it all--Like it ought to be said.

Sin is a critical part of religion. Without sin there is no religion. Mormons and many other religions have to find it wherever and however they can. Make it up if you have to. Cling to bigotry if necessary. It's a matter of survival for them because they are nothing without it. Love is irrelevant.

Got sin?

Date: January 16, 2020 11:31AM

Done & Done Wrote:
> Got sin?

God sin?

NEVER! Like Socrates tried to persuade the Athenians, the gods determine what is Justice and not humans.

Mormonism has an interesting take on sin. God is bound when you don't sin and do what God wants. No many religions restrict God. What if God didn't want to help/bless/not smite you? Would that be a God sin?

Posted by: dumbmormons ( )
Date: January 15, 2020 05:47PM

Gold&Green Wrote:
> Here in a rural Utah area have noticed affirmation
> signs popping up all over in yards. ("You can
> make it", "You're Enough", "Don't Give Up", etc.
>
> Does anyone know if this is a new church thing?

BYU Football since they have the "lazy and loathesome" Lamanite coach who has the dark skin so he will not be enticing to White and Delightsome types?

Posted by: random ( )
Date: January 15, 2020 07:40PM

So Utah is turning into California?

Date: January 15, 2020 07:53PM

You prefer dead children?

Date: January 16, 2020 11:32AM

God so loved the world that he sent his holy proclamation.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.