Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 13, 2020 05:43PM

Reading this was a bit befuddling. What exactly does Science have to do with bringing people answers that give them peace?

"When science of any kind directly contradicts what the gospel teaches, adopt a “wait and see” approach. Often, the research is corrected. Until then, I pray and ask the Lord to help me know what to do with my concerns. I have always received answers that bring peace — something science cannot do with consistency."
https://elizabethburr.com/2017/11/science-thinking-and-religion/

And the Mormon angle of "the research is corrected" I say it is more like "correlated." "The Gospel" appropriates Scientific research when it wants to and doesn't wait for it to be corrected. Mormonism ignores what doesn't fit if it can't make it fit.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 13, 2020 05:51PM

And the Mormon church brings peace with consistency? Haha. Yeah right. What an self serving implication, that!

Peace is like a butterfly that lights here and there for a minute and is gone once it's sucked the nectar out. So is happiness.

Contentment would last longer if were content to let it.

The assumption that science must me automatically wrong when it contradicts religion is hysterically funny and pathetic. The pathetic part is very long lasting. Permanent,even.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: January 13, 2020 06:08PM

Science has brought me peace by allowing me to know....

...I won't be sacrificed to ensure the sun comes up the next day.

...I won't fall off the edge of the earth if I travel too far in one direction.

...my tooth hurts because of decay or an infection and not a host of goblins inhabiting my mouth.

...it isn't possible to load two of every species of animal in the world into a large boat, surviving 40 days and nights of flooding, and then repopulate all the animals in the world.

...a drift boat submarine with plugged holes on the top and bottom, full of people and animals, crossing the ocean to settle in the new world isn't possible.

...coffee has health benefits.

...etc.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 13, 2020 06:19PM

>>Has Science ever brought you peace?

Absolutely! One notable example was when the very fine Johns Hopkins surgeon emerged from the operating room to tell me and my sister-in-law that they got all of my brother's cancer. I wanted to weep with joy. Thank you, Science! My brother means the world to me, and he has since had years of a healthy and happy retirement due to scientific advances in medicine.

Science and engineering helped to build a car that allowed me to survive a crash. When my engineer brother examined the crumpled-up front end (along with the fully intact passenger compartment,) he happily noted that the car "did what it was designed to do." I think he shook in private afterward.

Science and engineering got me to the top of a mountain (via ski lift) where gazing at miles of rippling peaks gave me one of the greatest feelings of peace that I have ever known. Engineering also helped to craft a sail boat that taught me about the beauty and peace of the open water. Advances in optics have enabled me to see impossibly distant points in our vast, beautiful universe.

Science gave me new eyes. I was going blind, and now I can see. I get my new driver's license tomorrow, with my ophthalmologist's endorsement already in hand. Thank you, Science! I can look forward to many years of independence.

My life is healthier, happier, and yes, more peaceful, due to science.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2020 06:20PM by summer.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 13, 2020 06:38PM

Science and being able to read and learn about it is reassuring for me...and having parents that never told me I couldn't read something helped too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2020 10:15PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: January 13, 2020 07:39PM

Science can tell us how to build a nuke, but not IF we should or when we should use it.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: January 13, 2020 07:49PM

Science can tell us where we, as a species, actually began--and how, in particular, we became the physiological ("racial," etc.) people we are today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=990052wQywM

One of the best videos I have ever seen on this subject (and I have been intensely interested in this subject since I was about ten years old).

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 13, 2020 08:17PM

Yeah, frequently. And enlightenment, frequently. And better health, transportation, entertainment, etc etc. And a phone with a good enough screen you don't need to put it in a hat to read it.

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: January 13, 2020 09:28PM

Yep. Laying on our roof on a spring night in Houston, watching the stars and waiting for Skylab, with a few of my neighbors on board, to pass over. Pretty peaceful.

Posted by: levantlurker ( )
Date: January 13, 2020 11:57PM

Yep. Knowing that my daughter will grow up in a world increasingly dictated by science and not dogma brings me immense peace.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 14, 2020 01:18AM

Interesting read. The author shares my mother's name.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: January 14, 2020 01:19AM

Yes. It has brought me relief from worrying about tainted water, dying of whooping cough, or having my food storage devoured by rats. It has given me decades of life that I otherwise could not have expected. It has given me peace of mind that when I analyze drinking water for lead, my ICP-MS is precise down to sub-PPB levels and traceable to the highest NIST standards using methods approved by ISO and AOAC. It has given me peace of mind because I get to listen to the sweet sounds of Celtic Woman via CDs using Cauchy transforms tracked via infrared semiconductor lasers. It has given me inner peace knowing that the LED light bulbs in my home are cutting way down on the demands we place on our earth via energy consumption.

Shall I go on?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 14, 2020 09:34AM

There’s that TV show on which the host tells a contestant, “You’re not the father!”

Posted by: Canyon Place ( )
Date: January 14, 2020 10:05AM

Yes, by creating weapons so dreadful that even the world's worst dictatorships refuse to use them. That has brought a kind of peace.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 14, 2020 11:09AM

working with scientists, mathematicians and chemists. I loved working for them. They are a unique bunch. My boyfriend is a chemist who I met at that job. These men are still some of the best people I've ever known and even after 33 years of not working with them daily, we are still close.

Then my job that I've had since I left Thiokol has been in the medical field.

I wouldn't have had a career that I still find very interesting without science. I'm just one of the grunt workers, but I still find all of it very interesting. I was there for the first launch of the space shuttle and I've seen a lot of changes in medicine over the years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2020 11:10AM by cl2.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.