Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anonyXmo ( )
Date: January 16, 2020 09:22AM

Another high-rise temple like HK and the planned one in Bangkok but with Hindu-inspired spires on top

go figure

https://churchofjesuschristtemples.org/bengaluru-india-temple/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 16, 2020 10:16AM

The mormon ghawd does at times come across as a real suck-up.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: January 16, 2020 10:38AM

In India, he needs to suck up to 1.28 billion people, as well as 33 million gods.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: January 16, 2020 10:46AM

and worth pointing out.....no moroni.

As a matter of fact, several of the recently released renderings show a lack of moroni on them.

At first, I figured that the small buildings in Haiti, Congo, PR and Guam were moroniless due to the size of the building or the fact that the country was impoverished and a gold moroni would be a bit much. However, this India temple you linked to looks fekkin huge. I wonder why they aren't planning on crowning this mess with a moroni fiberglass mannequin?

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 16, 2020 10:51AM

They've given up the graven images apparently.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: January 22, 2020 11:56AM

A three-headed elephant sculpture in the foyer would be nice.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 22, 2020 11:59AM

How about a three-headed one of these?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curelom_and_cumom

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 22, 2020 01:03PM

as a retired electrician, I always wonder how much of temple labor & supplies are locally sourced.

I'm sure the Indian tax situation was thoroughly researched before making that decision.

btw, wasn't there a dust-up about the 'London' temple & taxation a while back? Has that been resolved / how?

Date: January 22, 2020 01:18PM

This is what I heard...

The church told Inland Revenue that as the temple was a house of worship, it would enjoy the same tax-free status the ward houses. (OMG!! Remember Patrick Swayze in ‘Ward House’?)

But then Inland Revenue heard about how exclusionary the temple is and they rang up the church, but got voicemail, so they straight away went ‘round and knocked up the local leadership, saying, “‘ere now, wot’s all this about then...?”

And when it was confirmed to them that the Queen would not be allowed in the temple, they said “Blimey, lads, this won’t do!”

And so there was no house of worship tax exemption given.

It happened exactly this or Bob’s yer uncle, sport!

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 16, 2020 10:49AM

The Temples are a way to project a greater presence in the world than the Church of Joseph Smith enjoys presently. Who?

Also, hinting at the countries heritage with tweaks to the architecture is a ploy to gain favor. It's all show biz kids.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: January 16, 2020 11:48AM

If you're marketing a product in a new territory, you fashion it so it fits into that culture's concepts and common imagery. Obviously example: use minority models for that minority demographic.

Perhaps somebody more familiar with Indian cultures can explain what a Caucasian-looking angel might mean to Indians. India is, of course, a polyglot of various ethnicities and cultures. When I think "Indian Temple," I think of the large, richly adorned pilgrimage temples to major deities, but also the countless household and village shrines dedicated to local gods. LDS will have to persuade them that their "Elohim" outranks all the others.

My Christian Science father once mentioned that in trying to establish CS in India and Pakistan, they emphasized the "Science" aspect of it more than the "Christian." As Mark Twain pointed out, it is neither.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: January 16, 2020 04:03PM

They should add Kama Sutra relief carvings on the outside. They should show Joseph Smith doing all the positions with his child brides.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 16, 2020 04:19PM

It is being built on a tiny lot (1.5 acre), one side is an alley. Not exactly the most regal locale that the church normally demands.

My favorite part :)

It is not the first temple in the neighborhood. It's across the street from a Hindu temple and there's a Swamy temple down the street as well.

It's not going to win any community praise as a building that is not open to everyone, yet alone its members.

Date: January 16, 2020 04:23PM

Will there be monkeys available to sneak in to entertain the 'tourists'?

Date: January 16, 2020 05:59PM

I think the church made a lot of money in the stock market. They probably took 10% of the tithing coming in and invested it. Now with stocks being so overvalued they want to roll that money into tangibles. I think this is where the money to build all these temples is coming from.

Also the temple building excites the members. They love the announcements and the excitement of getting new temples. After a few months it’s just another temple.

This is going to hit diminishing returns. The members are going to get temple burnout and you are going to have hundreds of underused temples all over the world. It think it’s crazy.

Date: January 22, 2020 01:07PM

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 16, 2020 04:30PM

They didn't go too far with the Indian inspiration, for there no temple is a true temple until its exterior is decorated with innumerable sculptures of people engaged in coitus and other carnal activities.

What the church purveys is vapid, sterile concrete both literally and metaphorically. There is no inspiration, no respect for indigenous cultures.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 16, 2020 05:55PM

It's just another Mormon temple. The church architects always seem to use the spires to give the faintest nod to the local culture. "Generic" seems to be the watchword. It's like seeing another Safeway being built. You know what to expect.

Date: January 16, 2020 06:05PM

I liken these temples to McDonald’s franchises that are decorated to fit in with the local settings. You see these in unique touristy type areas.

Temples are the same and when you go inside it’s the same thing. The same clothes and same movies. You play the same Simon Say’s game in all of them.

Date: January 16, 2020 06:26PM

Bengaluru India will be veiled with a temple rendering revealed.

Date: January 17, 2020 02:53AM

will they serve beef in the cafeteria?

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: January 22, 2020 12:02PM

Yes, but only from the most sacred of cows.

Date: January 22, 2020 12:44PM

Love it!

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: January 17, 2020 05:18AM

One of the worst ones yet. Where's the alleyway in the rendering, and what's with the sidebar quote? LD$, inc can certainly afford professional architects. No one is going to want to preserve the autrocities; yet they might be difficult to knock down, if they are made of stone--or is it just fake stone over plywood and stucco?

Even if these temples were attractive, they are still monuments to polygamy. This is so offensive to me, as a woman, to see these go up, no matter where they are placed. Obnoxious Mormons.

Date: January 17, 2020 10:40AM

Date: January 17, 2020 04:05PM

...a temple where I COULD learn something new every time!

Date: January 21, 2020 04:24PM

I thought you knew all of it. And teaching old dogs isn't very useful, true?

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: January 22, 2020 03:16PM

I wonder how long it took to carve all those.

Date: January 22, 2020 03:23PM

Many people woody like to know.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: January 17, 2020 05:37PM

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 19, 2020 07:41AM

The north and south entrances to the Main Street Plaza at Temple Square have big cube shaped stone structures that are meant to slightly intimidate. The Conference Center across the street looks like a cross between a 1930s major downtown post office, and a penitentiary.

All very Stalinist.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2020 07:42AM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 19, 2020 11:58AM

I always thought the conference center looked like the Hanging Gardens of Babylon--like the COB, an inadvertent but surprisingly appropriate architectural allusion.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 21, 2020 04:23PM

Yet another hideous blight on the landscape. The church architect needs to be sacked.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: January 22, 2020 11:35AM

Critical thinking skills are forbidden if one wants to be a worthy member. Hence, members can watch their ward, stake, and mission populations dwindle away and yet glory in the mass building of temples that prove the church is growing.

Or, maybe the temple work is being done by spirit temple workers. Less need for volunteer toilet cleaners that way. Yes, the church is growing but you cannot see it because it's all happening in the spirit world. Yeah. That's it.

Date: January 22, 2020 01:51PM

Pooped Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Or, maybe the temple work is being done by spirit
> temple workers. Less need for volunteer toilet
> cleaners that way. Yes, the church is growing but
> you cannot see it because it's all happening in
> the spirit world. Yeah. That's it.

I guess the spirit temple workers failed in dissuading this guy from interrupting their work.

"The intruder had bloodied himself from breaking furniture and busting out windows, Kessler said, adding that the blood got on the temple workers who she said “took him down.” "
https://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/archive/2018/05/12/mgk-man-breaks-into-st-george-lds-temple-vandalizes-inside#.XiiTkm5Fyhc

Now he needs to be "blood atoned." I wonder if only recommend holding cops can enter a temple?

Date: January 22, 2020 02:57PM

I wanna know how much of the labor & materials will be locally sourced; Anyone?

Here in the U.S., professional trades (plumbing, electrical, structural, etc.) have to be licensed wherever they want to build, I'm assuming something like that in other places.

I have no idea what the electrical (or other) systems of India requires.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.