Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Warrior71783 ( )
Date: January 16, 2020 05:25PM

Been a long time coming. Bank admitted making a mistake by garnishing an account specific to SSDI deposits but not responsible for a refund. Banktrupcy lawyer says he can get the money back even if i fail in the court hearing. So i am done with banks based on this for the most part. If i have to get another bank because i HAVE to do direct deposits for SSDI then so be it i guess, i might ask social security if they can mail my check just for my case because last week. No matter what anybody says the bank manager looked it up and they were in the wrong but not liable for refund. The banktrupcy lawyer was right, the bank screwed up because they are on automatic pilot with giving money away without thinking. If i absolutely HAVE to get a bank account for SSDI i will have to cash out the day the check lands from now on.
I will cashout future work delivery checks immediately outside of banks no matter the fee also. I learned how money orders worked yesterday at walmart and it seems to be a better way as far as making certain payments. I still have to go to court with the evidence i have though to maybe get the disability money back on my own. Maybe i'll win and get it back this way and maybe i won't, i don't have lawyer skills so maybe i can lose even with the evidence. Either way i have to do things differently as far as money handling on my part because i definitely got over my head with debt. I will feel a lot better after the banktrupcy is completed and all debt is cleared. Just wanted to get out of pain and get to some deprogrammed sanity and maybe become a real adult on the way or something. The adult adam that had never come to fruition because of cult oppression and tactics used against me and many other children from the 1980's and back to at least a 100 years and further of these oppressive tactics of men and repetitious brainwashing techniques. Keeping us fearful for most of our lives. I'm tired of living in fear everyday. Its not living at all. I never got struck by lightning by going to real counseling and the devil never tackled me for getting help. No regular human wants to attack adam in real life like it was in cult life. The real world is actually way less violent then the cult world at least from my first hand experience so far. In the cult you are taught about violence and sing about violence from the earliest memories. Cutting off labans head is a good thing and correct behavior for example.
The past couple weeks has been very stressful though and a friend has helped me through. Normally my old self would not even fight for myself and i would just starve and freeze to death but my friend has made me realize that despite all my mistakes and errors that it is not the end for me. The world needs the warrior even injured and flawed and still partially programmed without understanding of most laws. I just want to live and survive and maybe by accident get a decent life. I'm working for mostly cash again today so i am very happy, mostly tip earnings. No waiting for a paycheck and no more using a bank. Money is safer with me by far. I'm still regrouping from the financial punch to the gut but i'll be alright in the end at least my friend has made me believe this. If johnson mark wants to break into my place and try to garnish me himself then i have a chance to defend and i will have better odds at least. I will also say i am impressed for having the guts to steal my disability face to face like a man and not garnish disability like a coward from a bank. I much rather someone try to steal from me face to face than have last week happen again with being garnished to zero and even to negative. My blood family wants me to fail because i never bought into their bs. I knew something was wrong and odd with their beliefs as a kid. So i was a threat. I see this now. They made me think i was nuts just for breathing and they were successful for a very long time. If i get help and out of their clutches then their whole fantasy is over. What they did to me was evil but i have struggled mightily in the real world and i admit it but i am not the only escapee that struggles. Its an extremely hard transition. My habits to survive as a kid are not very good to use as an adult. My financial habits obviously are not very good and my friend is helping me realize this. My parents put the cult first always so that was my example. But that example sucked for me to emulate and copy. All i got was dust and air when i did what the cult told me to do. I got screwed in the end. Mentally, financially, emotionally, socially, and especially physically. The religion was the ultimate mirage in the end for me. I needed real healing and i got air in the end.
I can learn better money handling skills. I am tired of letting institions make me think they have better money holding skills than me and make me think they have my best interest in mind. They don't. I am tired of being an idiot and trusting institutions of any kind especially with money. And jesus is no better at money handling than i am either. Always knew i was better than their jesus from day one. Only a mirage in the end. The bank was just a useless and not a very good middleman or an honorable one for that matter. And yes honor matters. Especially to a warrior. Honor matters. You admit to making a mistake to my face as a manager of a bank and then say sorry guy its not our problem to refund. Well maybe it is a problem and should be your problem. Maybe screwing me is like screwing all the civilians of society all at once without even knowing it. Maybe. Maybe people hearing about screwing over one man and then admitting it is a big problem for other citizens to hear about that use banks. Who knows. But i am out and i can legally cut out banks if i choose and i will. Everyone else can do as they choose. I won't willingly get screwed like that again if i can help it so i am changing how i manage money and do things with money. I am legally stepping out of the banking world. And i don't regret it. Everyone else i wish you luck. All my banktrupcy papers are turned it. It was like completing the ultimate college final paper but i did it. Now i am going to celebrate and buy a pepsi with cash. Appreciate the help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 16, 2020 05:49PM

I know this has been a trying experience for you, but I hope that you don't feel too badly about it. Lots of people get into financial trouble, and IIRC, medical bills played a big part in your woes. Once the bankruptcy goes through, put it behind you and move on. The whole point of bankruptcy is to give you a fresh start. And it has to be the lowest thing ever to go after someone's disability payment.

If you need to learn better financial management, well, so have a lot of us. Live and learn.

Hold your head up, and look forward to a better future.

Date: January 18, 2020 06:37PM

I'm scared to face the court system. Terrified actually. I have no choice. I am not even that good at life. Pretty much invisible to most people in the last seven years.

Date: January 18, 2020 07:05PM

>>I'm scared to face the court system. Terrified actually.

I understand. A landlady took me to court once and it was equally terrifying. But it was over before it even started (the judge dismissed the case.) What is terrifying to us is just another day to the judge and court workers. Your judge will have seen hundreds of similar cases. I'm sure s/he will deal with it expeditiously.

>>I am not even that good at life.

It gets easier with experience. Don't let this get you down. Learn what you need to learn from this and move on.

Date: January 18, 2020 08:41PM

Ok. I'm sure its another day in the park for the judge but i haven't been in a court hearing since i fought a traffic ticket back in the day. I actually won that case haha. I was nervous then as well.

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: January 19, 2020 01:46AM

Warrior71783 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm scared to face the court system. Terrified
> actually. I have no choice. I am not even that
> good at life. Pretty much invisible to most
> people in the last seven years.

I understand the fear over the court system. I was terrified when I went to court over my divorce. But the reality was that it was relatively benign. The bankruptcy was even easier. The only time I had to make an appearance was in front of the court trustee who was just asking a few questions about assets. She was actually a nice older lady. I was an unemployed pilot at the time, my airline had just gone out of business, and she asked me what kind of watch I owned. I showed her my cheap Timex, to which she responded "My friends tell me all pilots have Rolex watches, now I can tell them they don't know what they are talking about!" There were just a few other relatively simple questions and then she said that was all she had for me and wished me all the best. It was a rather casual and low stress event. No doubt that there are some consequences in the aftermath of a bankruptcy, but the stress from those feel minor compared to the stress you deal with before filing. Wishing you all the best!

Posted by: loislane ( )
Date: January 20, 2020 02:06PM

From time to time I am a substitute court reporter in bankruptcy court.

I remember a heated legal discussion over whether a Micky Mouse watch was a time piece or jewelry.

Bankruptcy is a sad but necessary part of the world we live in.

In a way bankruptcy is a Good Thing because it gives people a fresh start.
We live in a world that encourages indebtedness. I think we all know that. I am currently paying off two CC's, both of which get cut off. I experienced joy when my CC got cut off because I knew I now had a chance to pay them off, whereas before I never would.

In my experience, BankRuptcy judges are very empathetic, but like everyone else, they are bound by the law.

They do not get to go outside the law to make their decisions.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 19, 2020 04:56PM

Adam, these guys are right.

You are not going to court because you are liable for anything criminally. And seriously, do you have enough assets that any creditor will want to send lawyers to fight your bankruptcy?

At this point the court is there to help you out. Be respectful to the judge, call him/her "your honor" every time you address him/her, and this will be pain free and probably easy.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 16, 2020 06:01PM

Look how many people lost their homes because of bad loans back in 2008. I didn't learn the first few times. It was Wells Fargo that TAUGHT ME to never have a checking account from a bank. So far, I do trust the CU I've been to, but after your experience, I'm going to start taking my money as it reminds me of what I've been through in the past.

If you have to put your money in a financial institution, use a CU. I prefer the small one I go to.

May I ask which bank this is who took your money and they say they now know they shouldn't have done it, but NOW won't refund your money? That is, as far as I'm concerned, criminal. I have 2 brothers on SSDI, so I can't imagine if this happened to them. My sister manages their money. She's good at managing money. I say out of the money management for my brothers' money.

I'm sorry you have been through all this, BUT once that bankruptcy is completely done, you will feel such a huge load off your shoulders. That is what bankruptcy is for. It gives you a fresh start. I'm glad you have all the papers filled out. Enjoy your Pepsi.

Date: January 17, 2020 10:14PM

It was advantageplus credit union here in pocatello idaho. I see credit unions as the same as a bank considering they hold your money and charge you overdraft fees and such and legal processing fees for garnishments like a bank does it. I really don't see a difference between a bank and a credit union because i have used both. Banks don't bow down to anyone i learned. Not even to government. Banks are more in charge than the government and government programs like SSDI. They even have the butts covered when they do something illegal. They don't bow to anyone. They know we can't do anything but go to court like i am doing next week with no defense attorney. I'll probably lose because i am not a lawyer in their inner circle. Banks will garnish anything without any reguard and just tell the person that now has a negative balance WOOPS shouldn't have been garnished guy or gal. Just like a cult would say. Your money just vanished WOOPS. We promise it went to help jesus not corrupt men. Banks are like cults conditioning everyone to trust them with your money. Yea right. I see banks and credit unions like mini-cults that no one can touch. I actually like buying things cash. It's pretty awesome. I think more about each purchase instead of just blindly swiping here and there with a card. And yes even turning in the banktrupcy papers lifted a huge weight off me. Maybe i can actually enjoy life instead of drowning with tons of crashing debt on me with lawyers and a credit unions just garnishing my disability account that i made specifically with the social security office for my disability checks. They crossed the line with that one now i hold the cash not the bank. I would rather take a risk against a burglar any day of the week then go through what i went through being garnished to nothing in an instant. "Yea adam, jesus needed all your money because its not your money its the lords money". This is how it felt. It had a cult F-U adam with a money grab. Always a money grab when dealing with these institutions. I need to quit being an idiot and thinking money is safe in a bank or CU. They brainwashed me good on that one, well played banking industry. You stay in business by screwing people over and pushing them into a corner. Cult had their laugh at me and now the bank(CU) had their laugh at me. Now i just have to rely on myself. Who do i trust more than myself anyways. Which is the way it should be. When someone else is holding onto your money full time, their will be trouble. Foooor sure. They garnish people to zero probably everyday without feeling a thing. Crazy but true. I do feel better now that i have no money sitting in a bank. They are wolves. Lawyers and banks. Straight up wolves. I wonder if i could get my disability checks mailed because of what happened. Really don't want to be forced to create a bank account again for disability checks. Trying to keep money away from the middleman. Not trustworthy at all. But why should a CU or a bank be trustworthy? Exactly. I sound like an idiot putting trustworthy and banks in the same sentence. Oh well, my naivity keeps getting less the more away i am from religion and now banks. They can give away someone elses money. I am not going through that again if i can help it. And if i have to get another bank account. I am cashing out when anything deposits. I won't hold more than 50 bucks in a bank if i have to get another account for the disability. They can have and hold e eryone elses money. VERY tough lesson to learn and VERY tough to finally file banktrupcy. Very hard pill to swallow. I tried avoiding it for a very long time. But the lawyer and the bank forced my hand. Damn. I think i'll be alright.

Date: January 17, 2020 10:35PM

the hospital where my "husband" works and they all know me. They are very small and are just for the employees and their families. The most I've been charged is $3 for an overdraft. They usually send me a message. That was only once that it happened. But your experience just scared me again.

I like paying with cash better, too. I keep better track. If I go in a store I know exactly how much I have to spend. The balance doesn't come up and bite me anymore, but then I check my account every day on line now. If I didn't know these people who I deal with, then I wouldn't have a checking account either. I was scared to death to get one. I'm on SS now and I believe I have to have mine deposited, too, but I'm going to start taking the money out. I always used to pick up my paycheck and go cash it at the company's bank for YEARS. Even if I got my paycheck later that way as one of the companies I worked for wasn't close by.

I do understand why you feel like you do and I agree with you keeping your money at home. I have to drive quite a ways to get to the CU at the hospital, so that is why I've gotten lazy about taking my money out. I'll just have my "husband" go pick it up for me every payday as you just reminded me again what banks put me through and a CU (a very well known one) put me through in the past.

We did the chapter 13 to save our house, so I had to deal with the bankruptcy trustee for 8 years. The courts end up getting most of the money that you pay into a chapter 13. It at least stopped the creditors from calling me. I had one payment, which wasn't cheap, but somehow I made it through. BUT the court thing was no big deal, like I said on another thread. I FEARED IT. I was unable to function for the month waiting for the court hearing. If I had had ANY CLUE how easy it was, I would have done it much sooner. AND you see other people who are just normal people having to declare bankruptcy right along with you.

The people I've known who have been through bankruptcy have done well after getting that load off their back. MANY people end up in bankruptcy over medical bills. Others because of divorce.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2020 10:44PM by cl2.

Date: January 18, 2020 07:01PM

I am terrified to go through the court system. I am having trouble functioning and i have that frozen feeling. I am still working but am very terrified and distracted by it all. Reality hits HARD. Very hard.
I got too relaxed and than my bank account got cleared to zero instantly. Then i realized and felt the power of a bank. They really don't care about the people. Not really. When it comes to a money problem like this, everyone seems to climb under a rock and i find myself standing alone again and kicking myself mentally for trusting yet again another corrupt institution. Everything is totally designed to triangulate you and then screw you. I don't care what anyone says. The advertising of banks alone into the subliminal constantly is enoigh to screw you into thinking banks are here to help. They aren't here to help people. They make a living off screwing people. Just like a cult does. Subliminal messages everywhere to trust banks or trust cults. Its all the same. The game of how to screw over humans and get away with it. I'm tired of that game. Everyone else can risk their money in a bank. Just the fact they gave my money away of the specific account i made with the social security office is enough for me to say screw this. They had the balls to do something they were not allowed to do and it totally screwed me and forced my hand literally to file chapter 7 banktrupcy. Pissed me off so bad that i am done with them completely. You garnish me to negative without a second thought of my disability account? I'm out. Waaay out. I was way too lax and trusting. My disability money was not safe at all like i thought it would be. So it really really rubbed me the wrong way like they would not believe. Luckily i had food at home. Cause they left me with no money to even buy food. It really ticked me off. I don't think i deserved it. Despite how i feel about myself. And my self-hate problems i still have not totally overcome. Really do not feel like i deserved what happened. I don't even feel like i deserved to be born in an abusive cult. But it still happened reguardless.

Date: January 19, 2020 10:45AM

Here you went through all the work of getting disability (and I know how much work that is as my brothers are on it) and then they just take it. I call it robbery.

I was so afraid of dealing with the court system, going to court for that bankruptcy, I didn't function for the month of waiting. I had to get my kids to and from school and feed them, which was usually fast food as I couldn't do anything, I laid on my bed for a month so I understand. I was surprised at how easy it was to go to court especially after what I had been through with consumer credit counseling.

My problem was I had to deal with the trustee for 8 more years. You will be DONE SOON. Actually, because of my PTSD over this, my "husband" did the refinancing of our house after the bankruptcy was done and I had nothing to do with it. My name is on the deed (is that the word). A lot of my word finding difficulty at 62 is actually from stress. I've had it for a long time. I have triggers daily all day long.

This is one of the reasons I've never gotten a divorce. I don't want the court system involved in my life. Even if my "husband" wouldn't agree to take care of the house and bills with his pension when he retires, I doubt I'd go get a divorce. I don't like having ANYONE involved in my finances or my business. Like you said, the cult did it to us, too. I have extreme PTSD dealing with church leaders. The bishop who my daughter decided to go back to church under lives 2 doors down. The current bishop lives next door. The bishop in between used to live 2 doors down, but he is a good guy and that is when I did my resignation. When he came to my door, he brought me a cinnamon roll (they are great cooks) and told me he wouldn't try to talk me out of it, that he had seen a lot of what I went through. My daughter and his daughter are really good friends since the age of 1.

You've been on my mind a lot because I have been where you are except I had a family to fall back on to the point I could as I'm the caretaker of my family (including my mother when she was alive). But I always knew I had someone even if just to go talk to. My parents didn't have a clue half of what I went through.

But I'm sure not only I am thinking about you. Keep us posted. Let us know when the court date is set. You are doing well to be working. I worked at home and I still couldn't get off the bed.

Posted by: allegro ( )
Date: January 16, 2020 06:34PM

I do not know what state you are in but I am in Florida and went to court last week to appear before the trustee for Chapter 7 bankruptcy. It was because of medical among other things. I have a good lawyer. For me I had to pass a means test because I have a job. The time in court was 19min and that was it at this point. Then the creditors have 60 days to object to the bankruptcy. After that, a letter of discharge is sent and it is closed. Your lawyer will guide you. I considered it a business decision to keep emotions out of it. Still I had a few crying sessions out of frustration. It is a fresh start. In FL we have to take 2 financial online classes, prefiling and post filing that helped and once the discharge letter comes, I will take a 6 month long 720 course that my lawyer's office includes in their fee. People go bankrupt. Just hang in there. When it is done, it is a load off.

Date: January 17, 2020 10:28PM

I hope i am guided well through this with my lawyer. I already took a pre-banktrupcy online class. This whole thing is kind of my fault but it kind of isn't. If you saw my life from the beginning you would know i had an impossible feat to overcome from the start. I felt surrounded by a cult wall that i could not seem to penetrate and get out of to get to any normal life. If you manage to get beyond the cult wall and programming it is still a hard life with a lot of adjustments. Being in a cult literally turned me into an idiot in all parts of life especially financial and social. Banktrupcy was absolutely inevitable for me no matter what i did. Things get real real fast when you face banktrupcy. There is no jesus to take the financial debt from you. All fantasies come to a close when you are filling out banktrupcy papers. Its a good thing though. The weight of the debt and the constant mail everyday about it was killing me. At least i can focus on work now instead of this financial hell.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: January 16, 2020 09:47PM

“And jesus is no better at money handling than i am either.”

Doesn’t Jesus have $124B? Unfortunately, he can’t spend it on your medical bills. He and his posse will need bling at the second coming.

Date: January 17, 2020 10:40PM

Damn that jesus sitting on 124billion and not helping the poor and the hungry to have a hope for a better life. I don't really care if their jesus doesn't help me but help the starving children or something. Don't build pointless buildings like malls. Funny how banks and religions are so closely tied together. Even their behavior is the same. Damn american corporate jesus. Told you i was a better man than their made-up jesus. Well i got to make some money tonight which will not sit in a bank of course. I'm a new man. No more financial institutions for me if i can help it. Bankers and lawyers are probably dreaming about new ways to trick and screw people as we speak just like a cult. Damn american corporate jesus in utah. I live in a very corrupt time but i guess i would have it no other way. So i like pepsi and beer and getting laid(yes it happened). So what? I don't hold a candle to those corrupt bastards in utah.

Posted by: snagglepuss ( )
Date: January 17, 2020 02:54AM

Yeah, banks. A few years ago I moved my accounts over from a rival going under (closed up their SLC branches and nearest office was like 10 miles across town), had $4000 put away for a car, had a used Ford SUV lined up and put in for a used car loan to pay for it (keep back about $2000 to fix the inevitable). The bank stalled my loan for three days, the car went to someone else, then the bank manager, when pressed, told me it was too old by a year. But they boosted my $3500 credit card limit to $12000. I was sooooo mad that they beat me out of the auto, and why on earth would I want an over-the-top credit limit for retail goods? I specifically told them I only wanted a $3500 limit on the credit card. When I tried to close out my checking account after moving most of my money to a credit union the bank officer tried to tell me I couldn't close out my remaining balance (I let it sit fallow for a month with about a hundred bucks remaining). They acted like they owned ME.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2020 02:55AM by snagglepuss.

Date: January 17, 2020 10:54PM

Exactly, they do act like they own you or at least they know that no one can touch them. I would put them above the government in power over the citizen. They know that no one can do anything to stop their actions. I have to go to court next week and it will be interesting to see how it goes or if the courts will screw me too. It will say a lot to me if the judge sided with the lawyer in his actions. But at least i am allowed a hearing. I was not allowed a hearing to refute the garnishments in the first place. It was just an automatic loss. It was bs. Anyways the lesson here is do not go into debt if you can help it and never get injured and don't be born in a cult so your thinking is messed up to thinking a bank is friend. Definitely not your friend. Stay away from those buildings like its a casino haha. It is not a fun casino to put your money into. Not fun at all. Everyday you have to wonder if money is getting stolen without you knowing it. And in my case, YES. Garnished to the negative in one swoop. I do have to take responsibility for this like a man. I need to have betyer money discipline. People swipe their cards without even thinking or even knowing what is left in their account. Or if the bank is giving your money away to lawyers while you are trying to buy dinner. It adds crazy stress. The things lawyers can do and the banks have to comply like robots is crazy.

Posted by: ??? ( )
Date: January 17, 2020 10:50AM

Warrior, I am proud of you for handling your business! You have been through so much with this financial shocker among other things. You are growing some tough hide, and that's a good thing!
Keep up the good work, and I hope to hear more from you about your progress! You have become a capable young man. Respect and happy thoughts for you. Don't be a stranger.

Date: January 18, 2020 07:11PM

Thanks whoever you are. I am trying to face this like a man and take responsibility for my poor money handling in the last few years. Its tough to face this reality. Really tough. When your disability account gets garnished to zero you have to do something. You have to file banktrupcy in my situation. Lawyers garnishing peoples bank accounts to zero is way too much power against me. Or anyone for that matter.

Posted by: dumbmormons ( )
Date: January 17, 2020 10:54AM

On Money Orders. Try US Postal Money Orders. Don't cost much and you can cash them in a US Post Office.(when they have the dollars to do so - larger branches usually do)

Date: January 17, 2020 10:59PM

Walmart is pretty cheap with money orders. Definitely not a high price to do it through them i recently learned. I may do money orders through them. They seem reasonable. I'll check out what you say but walmart is pretty cheap.

Date: January 19, 2020 10:49AM

The post office charges at least $1 for a money order as I have purchased money orders there, too. Walmart is I believe 25 cents.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: January 17, 2020 10:01PM

I have bankrupted twice in my life with a large span of several years between bankruptcies. If you didn't plan to go broke and it happened by accident, it's the most honorable path and the best way to get back in to integrity. Don't let it get you down. You'll be more credit worthy the day after the debts are discharged then you were the day before. Since you can't bankrupt for at least another seven years, you'll be a good credit risk to some degree immediately after the discharge. Just make sure to give the Trustee everything they ask for and make sure they know that you want to cooperate with their requests for information. That trustee can approve your discharge or they can decline your freedom from debt and can hold up your discharge.

The second time, my attorney told me (and laughed as she said it) that she has bankruptcy customers who return to her routinely every seven years like clockwork. Some of them find it difficult to survive the last year or two when they have a high debt load again and end up going broke before they hit the seven year mark. That's just wrong.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2020 10:12PM by azsteve.

Date: January 17, 2020 11:05PM

I'm definitely afraid man to walk this road. Like real fear. Not cult satan will get me for leaving a cult fear. But real world fear. Even if you are a good man you can still be put in a position like this or even a position to be put behind bars if you do something wrong by breaking a law you don't even know about, that only a lawyer would know about.

Posted by: allegro ( )
Date: January 18, 2020 09:50PM

Thank you for your comment Summer. You are so right. Medical is the number one reason for bankruptcy. It is not a decision that is taken lightly. I should have done it sooner but kept paying the medical and every other bill I had. I always thought people that went bankrupt were wasteful and spent without thinking. I shopped Goodwill, taught couponing, kept a budget, and was the last person people thought would go through this. But it was the only way out that I could see. The people that I have met that go bankrupt are 60 years old and up. A couple that was at court with me had spent there entire retirement because her husband had his own business and was very successful but a medical issue w/Long Term Care wiped them out.
I have to admit, I used to judge people who went bankrupt, but sometimes you just have to walk in their shoes and I have. Warrior,you will be ok. I hear the first year is the most difficult and I believe it. Once the bankruptcy is closed, then that new start will begin. Don't let people, like I used to be, get to you.

Date: January 18, 2020 10:32PM

I am dreading the whole process. I was trying to pay them but i just couldn't keep up with them all. And they keep compounding it with interest and court fees. Total trap for people in a desperate situation and being in a cult which was way more a hinderence than a help through financial trouble. I felt like a different kind of cult was on top of me in the form of lawyers and the bank which is jusst as bad in my opinion. Atleast the lawyer doesn't brainwash you with fantasy stories before he cleans out your bank account. It is so crazy that a lawyer can clean out anyones bank account if it reaches the garnishment phase. Literally anybody can go broke if they get in a car accident and can't pay the medical bills.

Date: January 19, 2020 11:02AM

People don't have a clue UNTIL they deal with this stuff. When I got married, I had a job that paid double what I could earn in Cache Valley at Thiokol. They paid higher than anyone in Utah. When I went to go work at Sam's last year for $11 an hour, which was a kick in the gut, I was then earning 50 cents more than I did when I left Thiokol to have twins 34 years ago. I NEVER thought I'd find myself in the situation I was in in the year 2000 when I declared bankruptcy. I've gotten to a point that I talk about it. Let the judge me. Go ahead and judge me. Come walk in my shoes and then tell me or Warrior how we should act or feel in the situations we have found ourselves in.

Right now, as much as I don't like to admit it, my boyfriend is helping me financially in a roundabout way. He doesn't want me to feel like I'm not carrying my weight as it is very important to me. My "husband" is paying the bills at the house. I have some debt I incurred while working for $11 an hour and I'm working on paying it off AGAIN. I don't know what I'd do without SS right now. This was NEVER my plan. I lost my job because the hospital my boss had signed a contract with and we had done their work for almost 30 years had lied to her. They put all their doctors on the new thing all the hospitals are starting to use where the doctors do their own editing. And in an instant her company was gone after 30 years. She is still reeling. It has been over a year ago. I'm still not dealing well with it either.

And that isn't where I was going with this. This is NOT something to be embarrassed about. Like my therapist told me YEARS AGO, you are DOING SOMETHING ABOUT IT. He said to me, "You know how many people don't file for bankruptcy and end up on the street?" He reminded me many times that I had TAKEN CONTROL.

And as far as what Summer said about disability. My brothers, who are both very disabled, are on it. One brother had a stroke when born, drank paint thinner at 18 months old, and was hit by a pickup on his bike when he was 5. He is mentally and physically disabled. My other brother had a brain bleed at age 42 while in college majoring in Russian and minoring in German. He worked in Berlin for the Army before the wall came down translating Russian to English. He passed out at U of U medical center on his way to classes as he had a headache, so stopped there. He can't drive. He is not the same as he used to be AT ALL. He is considered legally blind. He's not my big brother any longer in terms of who I grew up with.

IF my dad hadn't left the farm to them, they couldn't live on disability. I did get some of the farm money, which I never expected, but most of it went to my brothers and that is how they are able to live. My younger brother lives in my parents' house, which was paid off when they died. Without the farm money, they couldn't survive on disability. Both of them have worked on and off, but employers don't have much patience with either of them and I understand why.

Hang in there. It will be over eventually. The sooner the better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2020 11:03AM by cl2.

Date: January 19, 2020 01:39PM

I don't know how you can be the sole support of a household and not feel that fear of being potentially unable to support yourself or your loved ones. There have been times in my life when I've been unemployed or otherwise in fear of my job. When I bought my home, I even had a discussion with my real estate agent about what to do if I found that I couldn't pay the mortgage. IMO, life has a way of making most workers humble. Most of us are just a paycheck or two away from disaster. As a single woman, I've been very, very lucky that I have good health and the ability to work.

There was a time when employment with a company was in effect, a lifetime contract. Those days are long gone. Companies routinely lay off workers. And if your industry is in trouble, it may be a long time before you are able to find employment. You may even have to retrain for a different field altogether.

I think some people think that the people who land up in bankruptcy court have the big-screen TVs, the huge SUVs, and the second homes. They are seen as being big spenders. And yes, there are probably some of those. But as I said, most people who land up in bankruptcy court are there due to enormous medical bills that they cannot hope to pay.

It's not like the old days where my dad wrote out a check for something like $25 or $50 to the obstetrician who delivered me -- basically the equivalent of a week's worth of groceries for a family of four. Now a stay in the hospital can run hundreds of thousands of dollars. It can ruin you.

Date: January 19, 2020 04:51PM

It can and does ruin you. The constant letters that would take about a hundred years to pay just keep going and coming and it keeps weighing heavier and heavier on you. I was working every day when i got garnished to zero. I'm still working and i still have to file. My rent and utilities is only 430.00 dollara total a month. I still was forced to declare banktrupcy because of lawyers garnishing me directly from my bank to zero. They will get that money for the medical bills trust me. They basically garnished my wallet in a sense. I couldn't use it to buy groceries in an instant. The banks own you never forget it and they will comply with even an illegal garnishment and screw you right on the spot. I was thinking today that banks use the same cult tactics in like advertising and such. Steven hassan mentioning this in his book that no one does anything against cults because other operations like banks use the same tactics in advertising. But yea rent and utility is 430 and was working everyday when i got garnished to zero and forced to file banktrupcy. I don't live an extravagant lifestyle like i said. My highest possesions to me are my cds and some dvds really which don't cost much. Most of my overwhelming debt comes from things i never even caused. Undoing cult indoctrination and overcoming abuse i endured as a minor and fixing injuries from a car accident. I tried to do what i thought was honorable. Take the fall for my parents actions and their made up religion but the dead did not want me so i am here i guess for now and facing an inevitable banktrupcy. Mentally i am still partly a minor. I would guess i am about 15 years old mentally right now instead of 13 like i was before counseling. So a 15 year old with 15 year old money managing skills is filing banktrupcy and facing an actual adult minded judge this week. So it is intimidating to say the least. I am in a mans body but i do not completely think like a man due to abuse. So it is scary to file banktrupcy with the mind i have now. Do i have anger towards my parents? Yes. I've already been in handcuffs once for taking the fall for them. As long as i hit a point where i never have to see them or be under their oppression and a cults oppression ever again. I will say it is worth it.

Date: January 19, 2020 05:15PM

I think you knew i would have to file banktrupcy eventually cl2. I could not run from this forever especially with lawyers garnishing my bank or CU(same difference) directly. I thought i would be dead or something before i hit the banktrupcy point but i am definitely not dead to many cultists dismay probably in the future. It will be the warrior carrying the sword of reality and non-brainwashing(freedom) chopping down all the cults one by one around me haha hows that for imagery. If you have a free and healthy mind and you make your own choices including banktrupcy then you are winning in my opinion. Even if it looks like you are losing with a banktrupcy. It could be the beginning possibly. At least i don't have to feel like i need a bank anymore. They are quite terrible at protecting your money so cash out cash out cash out. I like spending cash. You are right i do spend less money this why. I bypass all the card machines haha. I like that. Damn card machines asking a million questions every SINGLE time. Just skip that card machine is what i say. Cash all day. As long as cash still is able to buy food then i am good. More control and way less stress when i have the control of the money and not the bank/mini-cult.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: January 19, 2020 04:59PM

I am doing Dave Ramsey.

https://www.daveramsey.com/dave-ramsey-7-baby-steps

No I do not work for Dave Ramsey. The information about his program is found online for free.

Here is another free message board.

https://www.debtfreefanatics.com/content/

The message board is very helpful I have posted my budget online and have received great advice. You are not the only person going through bankruptcy, people are ready to give you a listening ear.

Date: January 19, 2020 05:19PM

I need budgeting skills and i hate to admit it. I never knew how to disperse my money properly. Even spending too much on debt screwed me some months.

Date: January 18, 2020 07:50PM

(Comment to "dumbmormons":)

Do you know the most common reason that people file for bankruptcy? It's the inability to pay for medical bills. Try paying for medical care with no insurance on a low wage job. There have been a couple of points in my own life where I went without medical care due to working low wage jobs for employers that did not offer medical insurance. Or they offered medical insurance to full time workers, but made **** sure that my weekly hours were one hour under full time employment.

The U.S. has the best medical care in the world -- for people who can afford it.

As for disability payments (Warrior is on disability) have you ever tried to figure out how adults live on that pittance of an income? I couldn't do it. Even if you have subsidized housing (which can take years to get) it still doesn't leave much at all for the necessities of life.

Has it ever occurred to you, "There but for the grace of God go I"? As a single woman, it was my nightmare that something would happen that I could not support myself.

I guess you have lived a more fortunate life.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2020 01:04AM by summer.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: January 19, 2020 10:37AM

You can thank hyper religion for the cult-like political thinking that pervades America today. Withholding medical care from the (working) poor is a religious ideology. Thankfully I don’t need and probably won’t need to get mixed up in this out of control monstrosity of our own making. The next time someone tells you how useful religion is, remind them how convenient an excuse it is for the rich to screw the poor. It’s what enables the atrocious problems that other developed nations have solved.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2020 10:39AM by babyloncansuckit.

Date: January 19, 2020 04:19PM

I agree. I have been reading the book by christopher hitchens 'God is not Great, how religion poisons everything' and he explains all this. He even covers the mormon cult in chapter 11 i think the chapter is. Religion spreads through all factions of government. Religion is very useful to the elite. Very useful in any faction. The judge i am going to face has probably sworn in on the bible. Yea that helps a lot. I could put my handle on the bible right now but it doesn't make me anything but a supporter of slavery and genocide. Thou shalt have no slaves was never a commandment. Hmm i wonder why.

Date: January 19, 2020 01:23AM

Try to let it go, Warrior. Someone reported the first post (and it was removed,) and I reported the post above.

Some people have no clue. They've always carried medical insurance (or have been lucky,) they've always been able to put a roof over their heads, they've never been unemployed for a significant length of time, and they've never been disabled and unable to work, or to work full time.

Date: January 19, 2020 02:28AM

I am drunk and i do apologize. It does help. Takes a lot to get me to drink(been at least 8 years). A lot of people have had good families growing up. I did not. I quickly learned that religion was more important than i was to my family. Family was a detriment to me not a support. So in stressful times like these my family is chanting like a bunch of dumbasses instead of supporting me. Which has been the constant theme. Is it hurtful that my parents love magic underwear and chanting more than they loved me. Yep. Now i am the outcast former scapegoat son facing banktrupcy with barely knowing any civil laws besides the basic ones. A lot of laws and lawyers can screw you. And it can happen fast. I can't even ask my own parents for help for anything because they are both child abusers. The memories are still in my brain. There is no denying it. No way around it. Does it affect my poor decisions day to day? Yep.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.