Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 18, 2020 11:20AM

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2020/01/18/error-printed-lds-church/

All that blather in the BoM and BoA about dark skin being a curse is no longer the "word and will of The Lord"™, but somebody in the publications department didn't get the memo.

Of course the BoM hammers repeatedly the idea that the Lamanites™ were cursed with a skin of darkness. It's kind of hard to read the BoM without that subject coming up. That's precisely why I think they have a long term goal of de-emphasizing the BoM and eventually ignoring it, like they do the BoA now.

They issued a "corrected" lesson manual online, but have not altered the print version. They could have scrapped the entire print run and redone it. Expensive, but compared to $100B, the cost would be a rounding error.

I feel for them. Nobody caught the "mistake" because all the old-school Mormons, which includes all the GAs and most of the employees, have a testimony that the dark skin really was a curse, and it did not occur to them that that it was now politically incorrect to admit that out loud.

Life is hard when your religion is founded on cultural BS.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2020 11:22AM by Brother Of Jerry.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: January 18, 2020 12:00PM

If Hinkley were around he would say, "Just a little fleck of printing".

Pay no attention to what the Book of Mormon - the most correct of any book on earth - says.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: January 18, 2020 12:29PM

So; if they are going to try and leave out all of that "not useful" information, then they better re-do a lot of patriarchal blessings.

When I worked at the COB in the historical department, we received all kinds of paperwork from all over the world, which included minutes of meetings, and patriarchal blessings.

Being the investigative snoops that we all were, we would take time and read some of the stuff that came in.

Most every patriarchal blessing said something like this:"Because of your righteousness in the pre-mortal existence, you have been blessed with a skin of white."

I'd like to see them spin, duck, and cover their way out of this one!

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: January 18, 2020 12:57PM

I’d be curious as to how many PBs promised that the recipient would witness the second coming in mortality, and how many of those have since died.

Posted by: Anziano Young ( )
Date: January 18, 2020 02:19PM

...but it did contain a run-on sentence fragment, a dangling clause that went on for a whole paragraph. That was how I first guessed the Church isn't true--surely God knows the rules of English grammar? Doesn't he know EVERYTHING? Such a basic mistake in the most important blessing of my life?

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: January 18, 2020 01:01PM

Wow, it’s almost like they’re ashamed of doctrine they claim was delivered from god to ancient prophets, translated by the prophet of this dispensation, and frequency reaffirmed by prophets, seers, and revelators over the years.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 18, 2020 01:06PM

The curse of dark skin "is no longer part of church teaching." At least they're stating that it WAS a part of their teaching, one that they can never possibly even hope to live down.

At BYU in the 1960's they used to censor text books by literally tearing out the offending pages, just like some tin-horn ministry of information in a backward country.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: January 18, 2020 01:26PM

MORmONs have an amazing capacity for self delusion.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 18, 2020 05:02PM

people inside and outside of the church.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: January 18, 2020 07:24PM

The quote is from President Joseph Fielding Smith about the curse. It's amazing that they can dissavow an actual profit. He was suppose to be a inspired, according to their own silly doctrine!

Why they just can't stand up for what they believe in be truthful and tell the world to go to Hell is beyond me. We live in America and it's perfectly fine to say what you want and to be as racist as you want according to the 1st Amendment of the constitution. I'm sure they are just as bigoted as they've always been, nothings changed. But telling the world that they no longer believe in the curse, which is driving theme of the whole stinkin' BOM is astounding. Obviously they don't have any guts. It's shameful.

What would Joseph Fielding Smith say if he knew?

Posted by: MCR ( )
Date: January 18, 2020 07:51PM

He'd say, "Stay popular and relevant." And "Good job all y'all; $100B don't grown on trees!"

Posted by: C2NR ( )
Date: January 18, 2020 10:33PM

I just read the article, and that is such a wishy-washy weak weasel dodge of an explanation. The older members' faith should be shaken by that article. They know what they were taught and that is was taught as doctrine coming from God. Wow.

That spokeswoman should be ashamed. At least I hope she is at least at a subconscious level.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: January 18, 2020 10:59PM

You know how some people tan easily? Jews are like that. You go bowling on Shabbat, poof. Dark skin. It doesn’t happen to us now because we lost our Jewish DNA. Heck, the Lamanites even lost their Jewish DNA. Hey, if you can lose your land you can lose your DNA.

Posted by: SixAM ( )
Date: January 19, 2020 02:05AM

There are a lot of closeted unbelievers in the church. This is such an egregious mistake and it makes the church look so bad that it makes me wonder if it wasn't an intentional inside job.

I almost believe there are more unbelievers going through the motions at church waiting for loved ones, etc to see the light, than there are actual TBMs.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 19, 2020 02:17AM

They really should place a pretzel on top of every church building. That's what every member must do to believe, twist his/her mind.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.