Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: LeftTheMorg ( )
Date: January 19, 2020 07:33PM

Once again a religion where abuse is covered up, victims are pressured to forgive, and perpetrators don't change:

https://www.typeinvestigations.org/investigation/2020/01/14/amish-sexual-abuse-assault/

Some excerpts:
"By age 9, she says, she’d been raped by one of her older brothers. By 12, she’d been abused by her father, Abner*, a chiropractor who penetrated her with his fingers on the same table where he saw patients, telling her he was “flipping her uterus” to ensure her fertility. By 14, she says, three more brothers had raped her and she was being attacked in the hayloft or in her own bed multiple times a week. She would roll over afterward, ashamed and confused....

..."Sadie’s small world was built around adherence to rules—and keeping quiet was one of them..."

"...Over the past year, I’ve interviewed nearly three dozen Amish people, in addition to law enforcement, judges, attorneys, outreach workers, and scholars. I’ve learned that sexual abuse in their communities is an open secret spanning generations. Victims told me stories of inappropriate touching, groping, fondling, exposure to genitals, digital penetration, coerced oral sex, anal sex, and rape, all at the hands of their own family members, neighbors, and church leaders..."

"The Amish, who number roughly 342,000 in North America...they’re one of the fastest-growing religious groups in America..."

..."“We’re told that it’s not Christlike to report,” explains Esther..."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 19, 2020 07:36PM

I would rather read the story about an exmo widow dealing with her neighborhood suiters than the factual content of this tragedy.

Posted by: LeftTheMorg ( )
Date: January 19, 2020 07:52PM

Those of us who have suffered abuse at the hands of church leaders will find this all too familiar

"...It’s common for Amish victims to be viewed by the community as just as guilty as the abuser—as consenting partners committing adultery, even if they’re children. ..." [a RAPE victim will be viewed by the church members as an adulterer]

They are taken to isolated "treatment centers" where they are locked up and DRUGGED. Shades of Scientology.

Their church leaders are kept informed of their behaviors and "compliance." The same thing is done in Mormondom.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 19, 2020 09:46PM

The amish will hold you at gunpoint and cut off your beard.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 19, 2020 09:54PM

I can't imagine how many victims there actually are who aren't reporting, just like in the Catholic church, in mormonism, and other religions.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 20, 2020 12:52PM

LeftTheMorg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ..."“We’re told that it’s not Christlike to
> report,” explains Esther..."

Religions like this and Mormonism are a groomster's delight. Grooming is built into them.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 20, 2020 01:14PM

as bad as this is for individual victims, Unless this situation is widespread it's an aberration.

I've associated closely with annibaptists, they're great people without the pretentious culture that is so prevalent in Mormonism - ChurchCo.

Date: January 20, 2020 02:01PM

The people who abused me were the nicest people. I wouldn't have been their victim if they weren't.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 20, 2020 02:06PM

It's worth reading the article, which speaks of a widespread "a culture of incest, rape, and abuse."

There was nothing "aberrational" about it.

Date: January 20, 2020 02:08PM

THIS says all that needs to be said. It goes unspoken but understood in Mormonism.

it’s not Christlike to report

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: January 20, 2020 07:56PM

We would have left the Mormon cult three years sooner, if my children hadn't been afraid to report the priesthood leaders' bullying and phycsical abuse when it happened. Three years, and many more instances of abuse went by, before my kids couldn't take it anymore.

This is a quote from Messygoop's post on his thread:
"I believed more of their crap and put up with a lot more than I should have because I believed it was part of the sacred rite to be mistreated."

"It was part of the sacred rite to be mistreated."

I don't believe in Satan, but people can be horrible. As an abused Mormon child, I was actually rewarded for "keeping the peace", and allowing my older brother to do all kinds of damage, without fighting back or defending myself or "making a fuss" by trying to get someone to help me. To this day, I feel I have no worth.

My heart goes out to those poor abused Amish girls.

Date: January 20, 2020 08:03PM

Perhaps the biggest difference between the two is (claimed, abused) 'PH Authority' which all mormons are taught to defer to;

no such thing in the Amish or their Mennonite 'cousins'.

The Mennonites were the 'original' anna baptists, it started with a guy Named Mennos Simons, either in switzerland or germany, I forget which.

Date: January 20, 2020 08:10PM

The original Anabaptist movement was remarkably like Mormonism. They had a prophetic character, polygamy, and an expectation of the Second Coming. They seized control of the city of Munster and waited expectantly for Jesus to reappear and enable their little government to expand and take over the world.

The parallels are striking.

Date: January 20, 2020 08:24PM

I've attended each for numerous occasions, worship & social.
their are few parallels in today's experience.

The Mennos (Amish also, I believe) resist military service, 'especially in times of wars/conflicts'; many Mormons enlist or go to military academies / OCS.

Mennonites leave to their children IF they wish to join the church / be baptized as they mature, no set age.

Individuals where I attend can formally join the church with a public affirmation of their faith without baptism.

Mormonism is prolly the Most Authoritarian 'religion' (corp presenting as a church/religion) possible, Mennonites / Seattle Mennonite is about 180 away from that...

Mormonism actually inhibits personal growth for those outside the inner circles / Mo Royalty, that's another opposite.

Please don't try to tell me there are many similarities today Unless you have more experience with them than I do.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2020 11:12PM by GNPE.

Date: January 20, 2020 08:27PM

True.

The government massacred the extreme Anabaptists in Munster and the rest of the movement successfully "mainstreamed."

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 22, 2020 01:22PM

My wife worked as a special needs teacher assistant at a Hutterite Colony (anabaptist sect like the Amish but fully mechanized with the very best equipment) school and she heard some stories of rampant sexual abuse.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: January 22, 2020 08:58PM

Amish rape is real. The cultists don't wont to send daddy or the brother to jail from raping them over and over. What a total mind screw.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.