Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 21, 2020 09:04AM

It's evolution again
======================

"Human-to-human transmission of a new coronavirus strain has been confirmed in China, fueling fears of a major outbreak of the SARS-like virus as millions travel for the Lunar New Year holiday.

Zhong Nanshan, head of "the National Health Commission, said on Monday patients may have contracted the new virus without having visited the central city of Wuhan where it was discovered before spreading across China and reaching three other Asian nations.

The new coronavirus strain has caused alarm because of its connection to Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS), which killed nearly 650 people across mainland China and Hong Kong in 2002-2003.

The total number of people diagnosed with the latest strain of the virus rose to 218, according to CCTV."

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/01/china-confirms-human-human-transmission-coronavirus-200120162507948.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ptbarnum ( )
Date: January 21, 2020 02:43PM

A part of my husband's job is to manage statistics and epidemiological advisories for a pharma company with close ties to government epidemiology sources (think: vaccines, vax adjuvants and other protein component manufacture, as well as antiviral drugs). Husband says according to the water cooler grapevine, well, there is no grapevine as yet. Contrast that to the start of H1N1 season some years back when everyone thought it was 1918 all over again. Or SARS, which had the WHO and CDC very concerned, very like the Hantavirus outbreak in AZ some long time ago.

Poking around the net news right now, I see there may be around 139 new cases and the reported death toll is 4 or 5. Considering we're talking about notoriously reluctant to share accurate data China, those numbers are probably lower than reality, but after SARS, China has changed its tune a bit about sharing epidemiological data and accepting input from nosy foreign nerds. What info makes it way into international news may be censored by Chinese media, but it's likely that the international virology community is having a decent conversation.

For comparison's sake only, I have to post that in the US alone in 2019 according to CDC, there were an estimated 6,600 to 17,000 deaths from influenza and possibly as many as 18,000,000 cases of the disease...just in our country, and we're not done with flu season yet. If you want your terrifying viral killer, there it is.

This new coronavirus doesn't look like it's as fast moving as the flu. I do not know how well equipped the local Chinese hospitals are to deal with multiple cases of severe respiratory distress. Hospital resources have a big effect on the casualty outcomes.

Maybe the doctors of the board will chime in with higher knowledge, but so far, this outbreak is not looking like "The Stand" by Stephen King, come to reality. That'll probably be a strain of influenza.

Wash your hands frequently, folks, and get that flu shot.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 21, 2020 05:30PM

I heard a radio report that the corona virus has already hit the west coast of the U.S. (Washington state and perhaps elsewhere.)

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: January 21, 2020 06:02PM

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: January 21, 2020 11:20PM

If it's not the hippy enclaves in SW Washington spreading measles, it's folks flying in SARS (I know. I know.).

Posted by: TonyS ( )
Date: January 21, 2020 06:39PM

Saint Louis

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 21, 2020 02:54PM

Ah yes, but I won't be impressed until the virus turns into a dog.

Or a duck.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: January 21, 2020 05:50PM

Snort

Date: January 21, 2020 06:38PM

This virus is moving FAST.

Already sickened hundreds in just a few weeks, and now we have cases reported in the US.

This just may be the next worldwide epidemic that we have all feared for decades.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: January 21, 2020 09:48PM

Nature is just addressing some of our social problems.

Global warming is caused by too many of use using to much fossil fuels.

A worldwide epidemic just might reduce the population to help balance the load.

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: January 21, 2020 10:08PM

That would not be good for maintaining worldwide stability, either economic, political, or social. Way too fast.
If you’re looking for something to check human population, you need a pandemic that’s a lot slower. Say 30 or 50% dead over 50 or 100 yrs.
Wishing for a revolution isn’t wise, either. Funny thing about revolutions. The are nasty little things and you never know when they’re going to take an ugly turn. And we’re way too clever to rely on such ham fisted solutions anyway.
That said, neither billions of humans dead nor a bloody war is not going to solve the grave problems we face as a species on this planet. They would likely only exacerbate our problems. Only good old fashioned ingenuity, hard work, sacrifice, and enthusiasm can do it. The same stuff that has saved our sorry asses in the past.
And of course we’re smart enough. The solutions are already in place. What we still don’t have is the will (though things are improving on that front.) Politically we’re still in chaos.
I certainly hope we can pull it together. I think we can.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: January 21, 2020 09:59PM

Corona virus is why I switched to Dos Equis.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 21, 2020 10:34PM

You can't buy Dos Equis in Corona, CA, but you can play golf there!

Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: January 22, 2020 01:05AM

There is now a new confirmed case in Sydney, Australia.

Date: January 22, 2020 02:01PM

Virus has already started mutating and 17 confirmed deaths now.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10784540/coronavirus-death-toll-wuhan-china/

"It comes as British experts said up to 10,000 people could already be infected - adding that we can't rule out the possibility" there could already be a case in the UK.

Professor Neil Ferguson, an expert at Imperial College London, said the new strain is currently "as deadly as the Spanish flu epidemic".

The 1918 outbreak is the most severe pandemic in recent history, wiping out an estimated 50 million people across the world.

Prof Ferguson warned of "more deaths to come" as fellow experts said the outbreak has reached the threshold for an international public health emergency - ahead of today's World Health Organization meeting on the issue.

The agency could declare the virus a global health crisis today as its experts rallied to hold an emergency meeting in Geneva today."

Keep a close watch on this one folks.

Flu masks are selling out on Amazon and in stores... if you want some masks for protection, you better get them TODAY.

This is NOT a "chicken little" event... this one is real.

Date: January 22, 2020 02:22PM

Yeah, but if you’ve been paying your tithing and keeping the Word of Wisdom, you’ll be fine ... unless it’s time to be tested...

Oh, dear! Faith in ghawd or faith in science?

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: January 22, 2020 11:20PM

¿ ~ is dos equis still OK OPie ? ~

in b 4 ~ asking for a freind ~

Posted by: Morlock ( )
Date: January 23, 2020 06:29AM

ziller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ¿ ~ is dos equis still OK OPie ? ~
>
>
>
> in b 4 ~ asking for a freind ~

Only if you have a slice of lime sticking out of the top, Zillwr.

Date: January 23, 2020 01:46PM

This is a PSA from the ExMo Beer Advisory Board.

Other tips: NEVER order a "black and tan." It's a "Half and Half."

Yuengling is pronounced "Ying Ling."

A tour of Anchor Brewing is a very good time. You must go. It includes a tasting - take it easy on the porter. After the tour when you're feeling quite happy, walk down the hill to the locals' bar (assuming it's still there), and eat the Best. Burgers. Ever. Play some pool. Chill. One of the best dive bars ever.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2020 01:47PM by Beth.

Posted by: Morlock ( )
Date: January 23, 2020 06:28AM

A pandemic is practically inevitable at some stage. There are way too many of us all packed together tightly in cities now, which leads to rapid infection reservoirs. Many have lifestyles which weaken their immune system as evidenced by the meteoric rise of allergies.

If only the PRC paid more attention to the health and hygiene of its citizens instead of controlling them. That Wuhan market should have been shut down years ago judging from the footage. Their failure to deal with their extreme air pollution would have also meant many locals had respiratory problems before they caught the virus.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 23, 2020 02:28PM

SARS, remember the fear?

Date: January 23, 2020 02:55PM

You watch! Not a single, solitary Lamanite will contract this disease!

Also, if you've been through the temple and are paying an honest tithe, you are GUARANTEED not to contract this disease!

If you claim to he temple worthy and claim to be paying an honest tithe and you contract this disease, you LIED about one or both issues!!! LIAR! That's why you caught it!!

I mean, what would be the point of being a good mormon if ghawd didn't protect you from a heathen disease? Telling families that ghawd wouldn't protect their righteous family member, but it's okay because he's going to the Celestial Kingdom, what kind of bullshizz is that!?

Date: January 23, 2020 03:57PM

This is really serious guys, there are now reports of people dropping dead in the streets of the quarantined cities of China.

This virus is doubling in size of infected and dead every 24 hours.

Now a suspected case in Texas.

Posted by: dorothynli ( )
Date: January 23, 2020 04:28PM

Third fear mongering comment. Go back under your bridge. I'm not logged in. Will someone report TonyS?

Date: January 23, 2020 04:41PM

Yeah, it's not people who are dropping in the streets, it was the Yuan, which was dropping in the money market. But cooler heads prevailed, they listened to how clear the Yuan's lungs sound and like Jesus Christ on Easter morning, the Yuan has risen.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: January 23, 2020 05:45PM

It attracts LW like flies to...you know...

Date: January 23, 2020 06:00PM

Date: January 23, 2020 10:49PM

Define "LW".

Date: January 24, 2020 12:00AM

Tell us about "define."

Date: January 24, 2020 12:03AM

Date: January 24, 2020 12:05AM

That's just more of your hyperbowl.

Date: January 24, 2020 12:08AM

Date: January 23, 2020 06:25PM

Posted by: [|} ( )
Date: January 23, 2020 07:01PM

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/daily-star-uk/

"Overall, we rate the Daily Star UK Questionable based on frequent use of sensational headlines, routine publication of conspiracy theories and pseudoscience, as well as a long track record with failed fact checks and fake news."

Date: January 23, 2020 07:28PM

I'm still not stoked about this virus, though. Not stoked at all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2020 07:28PM by Beth.

Date: January 23, 2020 04:09PM

Are apes immune?

Date: January 23, 2020 04:39PM

Only if they are TR holders and temple worthy, AND are full tithe payers.

But in any event, apes, unless they are genuinely great apes, are currently banned from the locales and venues where they would be likely to contract the ailment.

Date: January 23, 2020 05:20PM

Well, it they’re led by the 12 apostles we don’t have to worry about them taking over the world.

Date: January 23, 2020 04:50PM

Whether you think the reactions to this new virus are a henny penny thing or a real thing, the CDC's budget has been ravaged.

It's probably a good idea to have the CDC fully funded and with an emergency fund for stuff just like this.

Time to hit up my members of congress. It's a nice change to yell at them about something new.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2020 05:25PM by Beth.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 23, 2020 05:36PM

So far I'm with ptbarnum on this. It may prove to be a big deal, but so far all it proves is people like to scare themselves, which is the exact same reason there's a new horror flick coming out about every two weeks. Fear can be monetized.

China seems to be taking this pretty seriously. I'm not sure what else needs to be done. I'm not going to go out and buy a year's supply of anything, or buy some pearls and start clutching them. I suppose I could get a fainting couch for the drawing room.

Date: January 23, 2020 06:01PM

I believe BoJ is threatening to have a fit of the vapors.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: January 23, 2020 06:39PM

Smear blood on your front door and the virus will pass you by.

Date: January 23, 2020 07:29PM

Date: January 23, 2020 10:22PM

Unicorn blood. Works every time.

Date: January 23, 2020 10:52PM

Posted by: xxMo0 ( )
Date: January 23, 2020 10:47PM

Current list of the coronavirus lockdowns:

Wuhan (11 million people)
Huanggang (7 million people)
Xianning (2.5 million people)
Chibi (half a million people)
Ezhou (1 million, limited to closure of railway system)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.