Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 21, 2020 01:04PM

I never appreciated dancing, especially 'Ballroom Dancing' (my balls have Plenty of exercise, plenty of room without dancing!!)

I guess it's 'OK', and it gives YBU one more chance to appear 'normal' to anyone who cares.... (Image is always paramount in Morland!!)

Is dancing affection? I guess it depends, prob many people claim it's good exercise, good skills to develop.

Big Whoop!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2020 01:38PM by GNPE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: January 21, 2020 01:53PM

Some balls are held for charity and some held for fancy dress but it's the balls held for pleasure I like the best.

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: January 21, 2020 01:45PM

It has become obvious to anyone who has been even casually observing the Mormon church that they are fully committed to going wherever the popular winds drive them in order to keep their public image appealing.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: January 21, 2020 02:01PM

You have to realize to keep the church going they have to keep to groups happy. The TBM's inside the church and the general public. The church has to walk a tightrope. Basically the church cautiously changes just enough to avoid too much public criticism while trying to keep it's membership from calling the leadership heratics.

Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: January 21, 2020 02:59PM

Adding even more "pressure" to an already hormonally charged artistic expression.

Some names for the dancing competitors:

Mote and Beam
Flam and Boyant
Shell and Nutt
Dew and Over
Hold and Rod

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 21, 2020 04:26PM

Ozzie and Harry

Posted by: normdeplume ( )
Date: January 21, 2020 08:06PM

cricket suggested:
Some names for the dancing competitors:

Warm Yogurt and Fatback (Though the pair has been known to fake their final leaps).

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: January 21, 2020 03:25PM

Meh. That's just a temporary reprieve given only so they can host the national ballroom dance tournament.

I don't think it will apply to BYU ballroom dance teams.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: January 21, 2020 03:30PM

From the article

"To host the coveted showcase, which it has every year since at least 1997, BYU was required to lift its ban keeping same-sex couples from competing this spring.
For the private school, that was a major concession. The change goes against its strict Honor Code forbidding gay relationships, as well as “all forms of physical intimacy that give expression to homosexual feelings.” Even in its own classes, BYU — one of the most renowned schools in the country for ballroom dance — doesn’t allow two men to dance together for practice."

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 21, 2020 05:25PM

Yes, that is exactly what I thought as well. It had to do with competition. There is no other way that BYU would bend.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 21, 2020 05:54PM

Wait. If this is such a highly coveted event, why has BYU hosted it for 24 years in a row? Somebody is kidding themselves.

IMHO, ballroom dance has become a ridiculous caricature that should have been allowed to die a dignified death around 1962. The amount of cultural overlap these days between a drag revue and a ballroom dance competition is almost comical. Ballroom is Eagle Forum approved heterosexual drag.

Date: January 21, 2020 05:58PM

I'm guessing that you haven't seen recent competitions. Many different kinds of music are used nowadays. And "ballroom" is a broad category that often includes the Latin side as well. Utah happens to be a center for ballroom and Latin dance.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 21, 2020 05:59PM

You didn't like Sean Spicer?

Date: January 21, 2020 06:04PM

*Snort* He was a real thorn in the side for ballroom dance fans. I can't fault his good humor and work ethic, though.

Date: January 21, 2020 06:08PM

> I can't fault his good humor
> and work ethic, though.

At least in dancing.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 21, 2020 06:18PM

Exactly what I had in mind when I said "caricature". Utah is the center for Latin and ballroom dance because most of the rest of the world has moved on. Nobody else wants the job.

Ballroom these days is a Las Vegasized version of 1950s sexism. It is popular with Mormons because they are doing their level best to freeze Mormon culture at about 1955. They think it's cool.

Rick Perry and Sean Spicer are not the cool kids on the block. Sorry.

Date: January 21, 2020 06:19PM

As if you don't follow Sean Spicer on Instagram. . .

Date: January 21, 2020 06:53PM

Again, I'm going to disagree. Julianne Hough has made a terrific career from her beginnings in ballroom/Latin. Her brother Derek has a well. There are also plenty of others who have cashed in. Utah is a center (mainly due to the famed Center Stage,) but so are other places such as eastern Europe and Great Britain.

As for sexism, I don't get it. Ballroom is just a dance style. It's no different than ballet, or jazz, or contemporary, or any number of different dance styles. The best ballroom dancers are quite versatile and can do almost anything. Derek, for instance, is considered to be a gifted choreographer. He has worked on London's West End.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 21, 2020 03:38PM

You mark my words, Mr. Sonny Delight, if mormon ghawd keeps this up, the next thing you know, people will be agitating for same-sex marriage, and then where will we be?

Thank ghawd mormons have always been sure of who wears the kilts in the family!

...Although it is a stone-cold fact that I have great legs and would look simply marvelous in a miniskirt...

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: January 21, 2020 03:55PM

What about the costumes?

Posted by: Fred Astaire ( )
Date: January 21, 2020 08:02PM

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 21, 2020 04:28PM

"To host the coveted showcase, which it has every year since at least 1997, BYU was required to lift its ban keeping same-sex couples from competing this spring."

Yep.

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: January 21, 2020 07:03PM

Costumes? Do they judge on what is worn? or makeup?
A guy can wear a gown and look hot.
Ooo, I saw this all Leather sleeveless party dress last year. Wow!

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: January 21, 2020 09:56PM

At the other end of the spectrum, worthiness interviews are required to go to ward dances.

As a non LDS 50 years ago I won't have been able to go to those functions and won't been able to meet the girls I dated the rest of the time I was in Star Valley.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.