Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 24, 2020 11:00AM

in Utah. The details of what actually happened finally came out yesterday. From what I heard yesterday, the son shot his mother and then gradually shot the rest of them as they arrived home from school. One older son was not killed.

https://www.ksl.com/article/46708370/this-loss-is-almost-unbearable-grantsville-father-speaks-about-deadly-family-shooting

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2020 11:01AM by cl2.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 24, 2020 12:31PM

I saw the story as soon as it broke, the night of the shooting, and have been wondering how the heck it got passed by as far mentioning it here goes.

Internecine killings like this are not especially rare, but when you add in ‘Utah’ and ‘mormonism’ ...

There has not been much Reddit, although I haven’t checked there today. (Yes, I love you guys more than I love Reddit. Happy now?)

I’m sure to be fascinated by the answer to this question:

Why, after acting the part of a stone cold dispatcher of human life, did he ‘surrender’ to the visitor and accompany that man to the hospital, leaving his weapon (and the bodies) behind?

Yea, verily, even I, the great maker-up of all kinds shit ‘n stuff, don’t get that...

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 24, 2020 04:49PM

Can you imagine the car ride? Mass murderer teenager riding in your car with his father bleeding from a gun shot wound the teenager inflicted and most of the rest of the family is lying dead at their home.

Sad. Between age 15 and 25 humans and many many males are prone to violence while their brains are pruning themselves in preparation for adulthood.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2020 04:50PM by Elder Berry.

Date: January 24, 2020 05:02PM

A young man in his 20, in Germany, just killed his parents and four other family members, with a gun he owned legally, and then calmly turned himself in.

Date: January 24, 2020 05:30PM

but they say the perpetrator and the father haven't really talked much about it.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 25, 2020 07:44AM

A mormon went berserk and murdered my uncle in Grantsville. What is it about Grantsville ?

Posted by: random ( )
Date: January 25, 2020 10:00AM

Mormons are the problem, not Grantsville.

Posted by: OneWayJay ( )
Date: January 25, 2020 02:21PM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A mormon went berserk and murdered my uncle in
> Grantsville. What is it about Grantsville ?

The dust from Great Salt Lake and Tooele Army Depot and the bombing range nearby blows in.

Grantsville is a known site for weird Cancer Clusters seldom seen anywhere else.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: January 25, 2020 10:09AM

There's too much pressure on Mormons to be perfect.

I haven't seen any mention of previous mental challenges for the young man. Often you hear, "I've been trying to get him help ..."

Date: January 25, 2020 10:42AM

to be perfect. EVERYONE knows your business. I grew up in Brigham City and it was much smaller then. It is still small. It was bad enough when I grew up there. You either fit into mormonism or you don't. We didn't. Our parents weren't fake, especially our dad. I always thought our family was the dysfunctional one until I grew older and found out what was really going on in all the other families. Our family was pretty normal compared to the other families. My sister and I were just talking about how crazy it was yesterday. I may live in little, itty bitty Hyrum, but because I didn't grow up here, not many people know me or my kids. It is much easier this way. When I go back to Brigham, I feel like it is a spook alley. I never know who I'm going to run into.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2020 10:42AM by cl2.

Posted by: OneWayJay ( )
Date: January 26, 2020 12:42AM

Brigham City, home of the Boyd KKK Packer Memorial Temple.

Where a niece of Thomas Monson embezzled thousands of dollars while head of the Chamber of Commerce.

Home of a lot of Polygs - with even more in the County.

One sick place.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: January 26, 2020 01:06AM

Maybe cl2 has some info worth sharing.

I am aware of the Kingstons' Washakie "ranch,"* the United Fuels truck stop and their biofuels plant.

Any others?

*Actually, it's more of a junk yard than a ranch.

Date: January 28, 2020 01:14PM

?? was it the sisterhood? One of our ward members joined and several other people from Brigham. They lived in North Ogden, the group did. They ended up going to prison for sexually abusing children, including the women. My mother was good friends with one woman who joined up. Her husband didn't want to join, but finally moved in with the group to be around his kids. I remember running into this lady in ZCMI in Ogden and her hugging my mom. My mother was flustered. She didn't know how to act.

I actually did babysit Packer's nieces and nephews. Never met him thankfully.

I haven't lived there for about 40 years. I have driven by the Kingston Ranch out past Tremonton. The one Kingston girl who was beaten by her dad and then taken out to the ranch, who escaped and was picked up hitchhiking by a sheriff, I went to school with the cop who picked her up.

I believe there are also polygamists over here in Cache Valley in the Avon and Paradise area. I also see some of them around Logan. When i worked at Sam's Club, several came in to shop there.

Now that my mother is dead, I don't hear much of the Brigham City news.

Brigham was an "interesting" place to grow up in. EVERYONE knew your business. Everyone knew things about you that you didn't know yourself.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: January 25, 2020 10:50AM

Look on the bright side. He didn’t commit the sin next to murder.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 25, 2020 11:30AM

Or he did commit the sin next to murder, and figured in for a penny, in for a pound.

The father wrestled the gun away from the kid, so he was already disarmed when the visitor showed up. The shooting family members one by one over a few hours as they arrived home, that is just bizarre IMHO.

News has been fairly slow in coming out. I can understand the son not cooperating, but I would think the father can shed some light. OTOH, perhaps the investigation is more complicated than it appears on the surface, and to be honest, it's kind of a mess even on the surface. Weird.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: January 25, 2020 12:17PM

On the news last night, it was said that the dad didn't live in the same house.

IMO, it's like the iceberg; you see a small part of it on the surface, but there can be a lot more going on underneath that doesn't meet the eye.

Date: January 25, 2020 05:53PM

...Just one pure Lamanite mom* and her Nephite/Lamanite mixture offspring!

Although I'm lamely poking fun at how ŵåċķ mormonism is, it would not be that big a shock to hear that the household being "Lamanite/Lamanite-ish" was actually a factor.

*I'm basing this on the mother's name, as revealed by the press.

Posted by: Warrior71783 ( )
Date: January 27, 2020 10:22PM

Was it a mormon family? Its all i want to know really. Mormonism and abuse go hand and hand is why i ask.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: January 27, 2020 10:34PM

>Was it a mormon family?

Yes.

Posted by: Warrior71783 ( )
Date: January 27, 2020 11:05PM

Damn.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 27, 2020 11:01PM

Accused teen being held on $4 million bail. I'm guessing he won't make bail.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 27, 2020 11:36PM

Go Fund Me

Date: January 27, 2020 11:44PM

Hahahahaha!

Go fund yourself!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.