Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 25, 2020 09:48PM

My Mom shared some interesting tidbits about cleaning the temple.

First, the temple is cleaned every night that it is open. Everybody watches a short safety training video before doing any janitorial work. Then they change into cleaning scrubs with booties over the feet. These are pants so no dresses are worn/required. Most of the work involved running vacuum cleaners down the hallways, but they also cleaned two bathrooms. She told me that she cleaned inside the temple president's office. This occurred between 8:30- 9:30 pm. They did not clean the endowment room because there was a session going on. [I wanted to laugh as the thought of doing the church's work for the dead with a vacuum running full blast floors me :D]

I asked if she experienced anything unusual or extra spiritual while cleaning and she said No.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 25, 2020 10:50PM

this post should be paired with news about ChurchCo's wealth.

GAs have absolutely no shame in what they do, NONE.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: January 25, 2020 10:51PM

Another blessing of tithing! Have a current recommend so you can janitor the temple at night.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: January 27, 2020 04:10PM

Who’s really cleaning up is the church.

Posted by: mr beel ( )
Date: January 27, 2020 07:33PM

You nailed it.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 25, 2020 11:01PM

that she had some experience in the temple that keeps her in the church, BUT she also was inactive for a while and her husband was not happy about it, so she goes for him.

BUT he helps to clean the temple in Twin Falls. He has his assigned night. One night, he couldn't do, so she went for him. They said they'd give her some help, but they didn't. She was overwhelmed. It was taking far too long to get done. Her husband came looking for her and helped her finish.

My elderly aunt and uncle help clean temples and also the conference center, yet they never had been to GC. My daughter got my aunt a ticket and took her. My aunt is 83 or 84 now and my daughter HAD TO GET HER THE TICKET. What does that say?

My daughter hasn't had to clean at all. She moves around too much!! Back to Alaska she goes in 2 weeks and the closest ward is 4 hours away. The temple is 5 hours a way. Hallelujah! They hold little meetings that last less than an hour on Sunday nights for members. I think she likes it that way.

Date: January 25, 2020 11:10PM

I've mentioned before that no members clean the meetinghouse of my former home ward. There are no announcements, no members calling members to show up. Apparently, a wealthy donor foots the bill for a private janitorial service to make a weekly cleaning visit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2020 11:10PM by messygoop.

Date: January 25, 2020 11:41PM

and depriving the rank-and-file members of the Blessings of cleaning & fellowship?

That's WRONG from the get-go!!!

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: January 26, 2020 02:00AM

How old is your mother, Messygoop?

I know of a 76-year-old widow and an 83-year-oldwidow who clean their ward house! They consider it an "exercise in humility." I know an older widow who was called To England on a special "work mission" to clean the mission president's house there, and she bragged about it, as thought it was an honor! She even had a ward home-coming, like a regular missionary. Older women without a husband are worthless for a couples mission, and ward and temple cleaning and temple work give them "something to do to be of service." (Old people have plenty of ENJOYABLE things to do!). Who says they have to be of service--haven't they done enough in their lifetime? Give them some respect.

Are members "set apart" to clean the temple, as a calling or mission? I think they are set apart to be a temple worker--but to do janitorial duties in the temple?

When my devout former SP uncle turned 85, he announced, "I'm retiring from the (Mormon) church!" He wanted to spend weekends and the entire summer at his cabin (he worked hard to earn and build himself) with his family, without having to go to church every week. Don't older Mormons feel they deserve to rest? There are worse things than being guilted into feeling "useless", like wasting precious time and money. The Mormon church never gives back; it never even thanks people.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2020 02:06AM by forestpal.

Date: January 26, 2020 03:00AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2020 03:00AM by messygoop.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 26, 2020 08:25AM

I am in my early 60s, and I would not want to be out at night doing vigorous volunteer work. It is not unusual for me to be asleep at 8:30 or 9:30 P.M.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: January 26, 2020 03:05AM

I know a medium-sized Baptist church that has ten individual volunteers (or family groups) who rotate through five cleaning assignments. Vacancies are usually covered okay, and without a bishop!

Date: January 26, 2020 04:18AM

Note the difference between 'DUTY' and doing things out of love, respect. Many churches have a 'church family' of people who need help & render service accordingly.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: January 26, 2020 09:54AM

Our (UU) church cleaning days are a fun activity. We pay for basic weekly janitorial, usually someone who desperately needs a job. They clean the restrooms, run the vacuum, basic surface cleaning. Those who use the kitchen and other areas for activities are expected to clean up after themselves and take out the trash. Then twice a year we have a deep cleaning Saturday. We work hard for about 3 hours in the morning, always filled with camaraderie and fun and then we have pizza and beer brought in for lunch. I once called it (pizza)Pie & Beer Day and explained the pun. It kind of caught on and that’s it’s nickname now.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 26, 2020 07:04PM

More solid proof that UU is an enjoyable place.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 26, 2020 08:05PM

Lush!

Posted by: Phil in Roy ( )
Date: January 27, 2020 03:28PM

GNPE, how can a church have a church family when a member is assigned to attend a specific meeting house? It's my understanding that you aren't even allowed to attend a different meeting house. My DIL lives within a couple of blocks of one but is forced to go to another that is 2 miles away. Senseless.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 26, 2020 09:18AM

be called on local missions such as working at the LDS employment office (not sure what they call it anymore). A guy my "husband" used to work with said he has worked harder since leaving being over maintenance than he did while working full time. One of my neighbors has been on 2 not local missions and 1 mission here.

Like Summer, I like to be in bed by 8 or 8:30. My sister and her husband who were cleaning the temple are older than I am and her husband has never been the same since having cancer surgery years ago and had to retire early from his teaching job, but now they have him cleaning the temple????

Myself, even if I were still active mormon, there is no way in hell I'd be going on some local or distant mission or cleaning the temple. My parents never did anything like that. I wasn't raised to be too TBM. I guess I wasn't devout enough so that is why I find myself out. (sarcasm)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2020 09:18AM by cl2.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: January 26, 2020 11:18AM

Back in the 1990 when I was a youth they had paid janitors cleaning the church building. Still at least twice per year on a Wednesday for Young Women our activity was to clean the church building for 1.5 hours. There was no safety video. We each got a small rebuke with water and soap solution inside and a rag. My job was to wipe down all primary chairs. By the way the young man never had such a fun clean the church building activity on a Wednesday. All those cleaning blessing were all hoarded by us the young women.

Date: January 27, 2020 10:44AM

I heard very little about doing janitorial duties at the MTC as I prepared to serve a church mission in the 1990s. I was not the only elder who was "shocked" to learn that the church demanded us missionaries to not only clean our dormitory/sleeping area, but the entire building and restrooms.

There were no safety training classes. We were shown the closets with cleaning equipment and told to get busy. They sent a janitorial supervisor (and a MTC leader/suit) to make sure that we goof-off elders did indeed get to work.

Did we have some close-calls and safety violations?

You betcha red riding hood! Stepping on the top step of a ladder (cleaning light fixtures). We had an elder mixing vinegar with Clorox (chlorine gas bomb) in the community restrooms. Using a vacuum with a frayed electrical plug.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2020 12:56PM by messygoop.

Posted by: idleswell ( )
Date: January 27, 2020 12:40PM

My wife stayed after sessions to clean the temple. She tells me that they affix cleaning instructions to objects to dust. I asked her how she would feel if I did this with objects in our house?

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 27, 2020 02:15PM

Cleaning a building you paid for must make it feel like home.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.