Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 27, 2020 09:33AM

https://youtu.be/PxA6nT-YDqc?t=146

I realize that this video is a trigger for anger, if not disgust. I share this for the sole reason to show how many Mormons can not let it go; even when they are terribly WRONG.

Here is the justification for posting this video:

"A documentary produced for LDS Philanthropies that details one family's efforts to keep money from being a stumbling block to their children. A few years after this video was produced it was removed because some people thought it was emphasizing the use of money to keep children active in the Church. As a whole, though, this film is about much more than that and is only one family's story. The lessons to be learned from it are personal and I hope it provides you as a viewer with a fair view into the benefits and potential drawbacks of donations to LDS Philanthropies.

This video is here because it is part of the video history of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and is now, indeed, hard to find."

In case you are new, this video was created as guide to suggest that if your children live a life that is contrary to the teachings of the church, then there are worthy alternatives for the wayward child's inheritance. The parents bemoan that they taught their eldest daughter the fine teachings and standards of the gospel and she walked away, so she is "dead" to them. They then focus that their younger children will have to stay on the covenant path or they too will be "cut-off".

I am sorry to say that I grew up in the church with asshole attitudes like the father in the video. The church supports and gets behind men like this. I also understand that this man is filthy rich through munition dispositions or toxic waste.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 27, 2020 10:58AM

and is 22 has a girlfriend whose grandfather is extremely wealthy. He will pay for her college IF she goes to the singles ward. He doesn't like my nephew. If you saw my nephew, you'd see how all the girls would be falling all over him and he is nice on top of that. He doesn't like my nephew and wants her to break up with him. They are living together, but his father and grandfather don't know that.

I find this to be horrible. I would never have anything to do with a grandfather who did that.

My nephew's grandmother is quite wealthy and he'll get an inheritance himself. His grandmother might be mormon, but hasn't been active since she was very young and she is about 95 now.

We knew that our disabled brothers would get the money my parents left us. I didn't know until my dad died that I would get some inheritance, too. I never expected it, never wanted him to give it to me. All of us got money. The 4 who are not disabled got an equal amount. My parents WOULD NEVER have not included us because of our status in the lds church.

My wealthy uncle kept threatening to leave it to the church. He wasn't active until in his 50s and became a SP. He obviously just couldn't bring himself to leave it to the church. He didn't leave ANY OF IT to the church and most of his kids and grandkids are not active lds.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2020 10:59AM by cl2.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 27, 2020 06:17PM

One question I've never gotten an answer to:

There are church representatives whose duties with LDS Philanthropies include meeting with prospective, as well as actual donors.

Are they salesmen? (One supposes that only priesthood holders could be involved in such sacred goings-on!)

And if they are salesmen, is their compensation at all tied to the amount of each donation? Pretty simple question, right? But quite freighted with toxic ramifications, in my mind.

Posted by: idleswell ( )
Date: January 28, 2020 12:15PM

We had a former member return to our ward for a Sunday visit. He was much revered because he had made it BIG working for the Church. More precisely, he was working for LDS Philanthropies traveling the world (western US, mostly) encouraging elderly members to include the Church in their wills.

Sorry, I can't confirm if this person was employed by the Church or a corporation controlled by the Church or a business venture that profits from their affiliation with the Church. Nevertheless, he was working on these ventures full time supporting his family.

I am sure lawyers have it all structured so the Church gains maximum benefit for the minimum liability.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 28, 2020 03:44PM

It would ultra scummy if there were a commission component to the salesman's income. Because then he would have a vested interest in having the donor NOT give money to an exmo or jackmo offspring. The more successful he was in getting kids disinherited, the more money for the church and FOR HIM.

Imagine the fabulously wealthy old geezer asking the salesman, "What do you think I should do about my daughter, Lot's Wife?"

The salesman would then boot up his laptop or Ipad to show the dad what Lot's Wife was posting on RfM, and encouraging the old geezer to judge her by the swill...I mean to judge her by her rhetoric! How unfair!

"Do you think I should cut her off and give what I would have bestowed on her to the church?"

"Why, yes! Yes, I do! I get a burning in my bosom when I think about you giving more to the church than you'd initially planned and I say to you in Jesus' name that you will be further blessed!

"Oh, did I mention that if you give $5 million dollars, one of the 70s will give you the 2nd Annoying at your local temple, if you give $10 million dollars, an apostle will give you the 2nd
Annoying in the Salt Lake Temple, but if you give $25 million, Rusty Busty Nelson will give you the 2nd Annoying in the temple of your choice, and he'll fly you there in the church's Air Jesus Gulfstream G600! Isn't that wonderful?"

"And did I mention that if you give me a check today, you will be absolved from paying tithing for the rest of your life? But Jesus can only extend this offer for three days, so act now!"

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 28, 2020 03:57PM

Yes, I think they use a commission reward for their solicitor volunteers. I do believe that they try to scare older members to make a TAX-FREE donation to LDS Charities.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 27, 2020 10:46PM

The video gives me a greater understanding of why the eldest daughter ran hard in the other direction.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: January 28, 2020 02:05AM

Ooooooo. If the kids aren't worthy of their inheritance, we all know who IS worthy--the Mormon cult! Good golly!

This is a bunch of rationalizations, almost excuses. It makes me wonder about the father, that maybe he has lost all his money.

If his children's behavior goes contrary to HIS beliefs, he will leave all his money to the Mormon Church. This "ass-hole" attitude is more proof that Mormons don't believe in unconditional love.

So...the purpose of this video is to twist Mormon member's minds like a pretzel, and brainwash them into thinking that leaving money to your children would somehow be BAD for THEM. So, brothers and sisters, leave your money to the Mormon Church--that is what would be GOOD for everyone, and what Christ would want.

--and let the Mormon cult spend your kids inheritance for bullet-proof limos and first class hotels for the GA's, and to bail out poorly planned malls and "iffy" loan companies, and buy more land, and stockpile that 100 billion. The cult does not give to the poor, to the extent that this zany family does, yet this video is instructing the members to "do as the cult says, not as the cult does."

It's propaganda!

BTW, who says that wealthy people are not living a good, Christian life? I know wealthy people who are good, honest, loving, and pure in intent. They have their own favorite charities, such as hospital auxiliaries, environmental causes, disaster relief, working to help children in their own communities, trying to help people in Africa, starting programs for free school breakfasts in poor communities in the Southern states, pet shelters, kids sports teams, promoting fine arts and culture. There's such a variety of philanthropic assistance from wealthy people--and one charity/church isn't judged as more "worthy" than another. These are people I know personally! I imagine everyone on this board knows about the same number of people. These are Mormons, ex-Mormons, non-Mormons, Christians, atheists, and it doesn't matter. I know about their philanthropy, only because I know them. They do NOT advertise, like the LDS Church does, with tee shirts and camera crews, and newspaper articles in papers they own, and on TV stations they own.

What a bunch of self-righteous hypocrites.

Oh, I just read that this bozo made money through munitions dispositions and toxic waste. I wonder if they dumped some stuff in that village, where the video was filmed.... They're always trying to dump more of it here in Utah. Wouldn't it be interesting to follow up on that family 15 years later, to see how this insanity is working for them.

Date: January 28, 2020 05:43AM

Did you see the part where the parents insist that the kids kick in their own money to the parents' charitable trust? So it's not enough that the kids fall into line with the parents' religious expectations, but they also have to fork over their own money (that they might need to provide for their own families.) This is bullying at its finest.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: January 28, 2020 03:55AM

This is really complicated. They keep saying they didn't "engage" their daughter in right living. But I don't see how manufacturing a giving moment is the same as "engaging" kids into the "right values." Bill Cosby (who I think is a great guy) use to say that good kids make good parents.

But on the otherhand there are some genuine issues with inheritance that can be tricky. If a child is in and out of prison, or will waste money on illegal drugs, it's not appropriate to give them a million dollars.

What's the answer?

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: January 28, 2020 12:28PM

Not a lawyer but have been working with one to set up a specific action we want have happen with one of our assests. Pretty much anything can be drawn up in a trust document.

For example in the case you mention (child in-and-out of prision) one could leave it to a trust and have the trust dole out the funds in some monthly increments so the child doesn't blow it all at once on drugs, whatever. A more responsible sibling could be the trustee.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 28, 2020 01:26PM

> Bill Cosby (who I think is a great guy)

You're fucking kidding, right? A convicted serial rapist?

Do you have any idea what that says about you, macaRomney?

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 28, 2020 03:09PM

I pretty sure he does. Cosby quote says bad parents make good kids and those good kids make the bad parents good ones.

You can't discourse with this logic.

Date: January 28, 2020 04:59PM

Then macaRomney must have had extraordinarily moral, empathetic, literate parents who also understood the value of Algebra II.

Date: January 28, 2020 05:17PM

Sounds like that might work, setting up a trust and giving monthly payments, And a responsible sibling could be in charge. I'd be in favor of a stipulation that said to get the money they've got to be clean for a 12 months, no violations with the law etc.

And to Lots Wife, yes I loved watching the Cosby show as a kid, he was America's Dad, and showed a side of black upper middle class culture that I'd never seen before, educated professionals, with money, that was unheard of... It was the American Dream that race didn't matter in living the life. But sadly later all the news came out later about drugging women. Those women's motives weren't as clean as the driven snow (however). Going to some Strange married man's apartment at night and drinking, alone, is asking for trouble, if you ask me!

It's a shame he's in jail. Especially for the black community.

Date: January 28, 2020 05:22PM

Also I'm not sure about Algebra II, but I've had schooling all the way through Calculus three, Didn't get A's, but I passed, and put in my time in the "Prison Educational Complex", And can tell you all about Simsons rule, Euler, and derivatives if you want?

What I didn't study is Science. But had the Sophomore level physics classes and labs.

Date: January 28, 2020 05:34PM

And yet more than once you have written that your education did you know good and singled out for special opprobrium the quadratic equation. There are some people on whom an education is wasted.

Here's a list of, I dunno, 60 women who were raped by Cosby. Care enough to read about where and how he drugged and assaulted them? Or does knowledge unduly obstruct prejudice?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2018/04/27/bill-cosby-full-list-accusers/555144002/

Date: January 28, 2020 05:26PM

> But sadly later all the news came out later about
> drugging women.

"Drugging women?" The rapes don't matter?

--------------------
> Those women's motives weren't as
> clean as the driven snow (however).

Irrelevant and frankly stupid. A person's motives in socializing do not give someone else the right to drug and rape them.

--------------------
> Going to some
> Strange married man's apartment at night and
> drinking, alone, is asking for trouble, if you ask
> me!

You realize, I hope, that a lot of the drugging and rapes were perpetrated in public places nowhere near his apartment? Or do such details not matter?

------------------
> It's a shame he's in jail. Especially for the
> black community.

The black community is doubtless thankful for your guidance. After all, black people--including Cosby's black victims--aren't capable of understanding their interests as well as a racist misogynist sitting in northern Utah.

------------------
You are apologizing for a serial rapist. It's unfortunate that you don't know enough to feel shame at that.

Posted by: Leaving ( )
Date: January 28, 2020 03:55PM

"Money can be a great benefit to the world, but it can also destroy eternal salvation."

OR it can buy obedience.

"If they are worthy of their priesthood, they can then handle the inheritance and continue to do good. If they exercise their agency contrary to my beliefs, then the option is that that entire inheritance can still go to the Church."

Posted by: manymore ( )
Date: January 30, 2020 11:52AM

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 30, 2020 12:36PM

Where did he come from?

Date: January 30, 2020 12:45PM

He used to be poopstone.

Date: January 30, 2020 06:33PM

Well, that explains it.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: January 30, 2020 03:32PM

Maybe there's another way to look at this kind of thing. It may also go to show just how strong our objections to the LDS Church are.

If that's what it came to, I was willing to forego an inheritance over these issues. We never know for sure how parents, siblings, friends and others will react to a person leaving the LDS Church. But ultimately, it's not worth devoting one's life and highest aspirations to a lie.

That's where this kind of effort backfires. At least some open minded parents may start to think, "whoah...they are serious about this...er...stuff--maybe there's something to their concerns?"

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.