Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Reclycler ( )
Date: January 27, 2020 09:47AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 27, 2020 10:34AM

"Mormons did not invent the technique of causing commitment to be made early, in public, and repeated as often as possible. This tactic has been an effective belief shaper in religious, political, and many other groups throughout history. It also works to sell cars, Tupperware, knives, financial products, etc."

Very interesting line from the article. Even the temple. They get you to commit before you even know what you are committing to. Human nature then takes over not wishing to go back on one's word, not wishing to look weak. Looking strong is a survival skill after all. Being admired and praised for your great faith is seductive as well.

Reminds me of the article about elephants where in the young are chained to a heavy stake that they cannot pull out of the ground no matter how they try. As grown elephants they could easily pull the stake out of the ground but stay tethered because they have accepted that the stake is stronger than they are.

Technically the elephants and the Mormons are both free. They could remove the stake, they could act on their own cognizance.
Neither realizes that they have given up their freedom voluntarily.

The control techniques of the Mahouts and the "Mormon Mahouts" are very effective. A tale as old as time.

Posted by: Warrior71783 ( )
Date: January 29, 2020 07:02PM

That elephant growing up with a chain is very true. I was told that analogy like a month ago. I felt chained so long that even now it takes a lot to convince me and my mind that i am a free adult able to make his own choices. I have not been used to myself being able to make its own choices for this long. My brain thinks that it has to be controlled or oppressed by something or someone or it is like illegal in my mind. Me have real freedom consistently? Not really used to this. Used to being intimidated behind the cover of them telling me 'you have free agency'. If someone tells you you have free agency do not believe them. Its just words. There is real intimidation to stay in line and not walk away freely as we know.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 27, 2020 10:53AM

That you stand before these witnesses and angels (not seen) to promise to uphold every covenant made in the temple today less you be under the influence of Stan.

Yes, that's how they nail people to stay loyal to the church (and how members feel blindsided despite attending a temple prep class).

Pretty damn manipulating in my book.

Date: January 27, 2020 01:44PM

The threat at the end is such a nice, and important, touch. No?

Do exactly as we say or you will be under the influence of Satan!

More important to believe in Satan than God, cuz, God is nothing without him.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: January 28, 2020 06:40PM

The next thing you know you’re drinking margaritas and posting on RfM.

Date: January 28, 2020 09:00PM

babyloncansuckit Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The next thing you know you’re drinking
> margaritas and posting on RfM.

That's a good summary of my postings. :D

Date: January 28, 2020 09:11PM

They were still calling it "Free Agency" not Agency during the formative correlation years. I resented being told that I had chosen my parents/family in pre-existence. Why the hell would anyone choose a half-ass, broken down, poor, dysfunctional mormon family (like mine)? Wouldn't you choose a freakin' rich mormon family?

You are free to choose as long as you choose to do everything the church says. Wasn't that Stan's plan according to mormon theology?

I never felt free to choose for myself or even breathe without worrying about the harsh punishment for choosing incorrectly.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 29, 2020 12:13AM

I made covenants in the temple? And I broke them? I'm under the influence of satan? Oh well.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 29, 2020 12:25AM

Did you forget enjoying intimacy / sex with your bf / gf?
Why was that?

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 27, 2020 02:03PM

"We have long underestimated the way in which our perspective, which is largely a product of our social group, controls what we can see."

Attempting to see the forest elves through the family trees.

What a bloodless conception is human thought. It doesn't account for labor pains nor human passion as thoughts travel from human mind to human mind changing what they "see."

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: January 28, 2020 05:42PM

Well the way I see it a society needs rules and bounds for people to respect each other. And religion is the place where young people are taught about their responsibilities towards each other and to society and the public.

Lets get clear what freedom is first.... Freedom is the privilege of living life as you want without a despotic government, tyrant, or thief, stealing your stuff. A civilized society (where there is freedom) is one that follows rules and procedures such as habeus corpus, and trial by jury, in punishing criminals, instead of following the drastic whims of a mob.

I don't see mormondom stealing peoples freedom, or private property in the same way that other totalitarian states do. The USSR with the golugs, and Nasi Germany with their concentration camps are good examples of places where there wasn't freedom. Mormons are free people.

Date: January 28, 2020 05:52PM

I find it very sad that grown adults in 2019 feel they need a church to tell them how to be kind, respectful, and reciprocal ---as well as tell them when to have sex, with whom, and who to give money to.

If you can't live a good life without a church you aren't worth much. The word crutch is often mispronounced church for a reason.

Date: January 28, 2020 06:42PM

They don’t steal it, they talk you out of it. They build you a prison and give you the key. What are you going to do, leave?

Date: January 28, 2020 06:46PM

macaRomney Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mormons are free people.

10 percent freer than me of their money.

Date: January 28, 2020 06:51PM

Nice to be able to customize and limit your definition of freedom to one that happens to fit your agenda.

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: January 29, 2020 04:56PM

macaRomney does that with literally everything. Don't expect any intellectual honesty there.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: January 28, 2020 06:47PM

mormonism requires you to lock your mind, body, words, etc. in a box called mormonism and never leave.

That isn't what I call freedom.

Date: January 28, 2020 06:50PM

The only Mormons with true freedom are the ones who can take baptism away and give it back as it suits them and call it God talking to them.

Date: January 28, 2020 10:05PM

You underestimate the power of computers. It takes baptism by immersion and the laying on of hands to make you a member. All it takes to reverse that is a few keystrokes on a computer keyboard. All hail Bill Gates. That’s right, it will be a cold day in Hell when TSCC switches to Linux.

Date: January 29, 2020 01:07PM

It all works with Mormon logic. One cannot undo a baptism, confirmation, initiatory, endowment, or sealing. Evidence for this is their proxy rituals. There is just no undoing. They deliver the souls dead or alive for God to sort out.

Date: January 29, 2020 01:10PM

In a pyramid of crushing totalitarian obedience only the top are free from the weight of crushing conformity. They are the ones holding up their dead prophets which are pretty light in comparison to the ward clerk sweating away at their books in the night and praying to have do his lords' work righteously.

It isn't great freedom but it does come with the management of a 100 billion dollar portfolio.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 29, 2020 02:37PM

Date: January 29, 2020 03:40PM

No more worship of the almighty Mormon family pyramid scheme topped with a one-eyed beast of greed for money and power.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.