Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 28, 2020 04:43PM

I was aware that a bishop could get a resignation processed pretty damn fast, and some of them are quite motivated to do so if they have enough active members so that all the callings are filled and the chapel is full on Sundays.

In such a situation, getting the inactives to resign is a bonus, because then the activity percentage goes up and the bishop looks better. That's the motivation for the bishop to help the process along.

The word on the streddit (street + reddit, get it?) is that you send your bishop (who has your records) an email in which you cover three points:

1)   Declare your desire to resign
       and have your records removed;

2)   Acknowledge that you are aware
       of the repercussions of the
       decision (removal of effects of
       baptism, the priesthood, and the
       temple endowment and blessings);

3)   Indicate whether or not you would
       be open to ecclesiastical visits
       after the resignation is processed.

You should within a few weeks receive a letter from the church that the deed is done.

Again, bishops who are flush with active members are the ones most likely to quickly and happily process the request. Bishops not so blessed might think they owed you some effort to get you to change your mind.

I say this is Jesus' account's name, Gunny Highway, amen.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: January 28, 2020 05:41PM

One minor correction/suggestion:

Don't say that you "desire to resign"!

Say rather "I hereby resign. This letter is my resignation, effective as of the date you receive it, according to law. Please correct all church records to reflect my status as a non-member."

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: January 28, 2020 06:41PM

fabulous conceptualizing

RPackham Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> One minor correction/suggestion:
>
> Don't say that you "desire to resign"!
>
> Say rather "I hereby resign. This letter is my
> resignation, effective as of the date you receive
> it, according to law. Please correct all church
> records to reflect my status as a non-member."

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: January 28, 2020 06:57PM

Years ago I lived a block form the chapel I would have attended if I was still a mormon. I had no visits and then one evening the bishop and one henchman showed up with a message.

I told them I had quit church many years ago and had no interest. He asked why I didn't resign. I said I was planning on doing that, but hadn't gotten around to it yet.

He said I could do it right then, so I took his paper with my contact info on it, wrote out a resignation sentence or two on the back and included my son who had only been blessed as a baby, my son and I signed it and gave it to him.

We said good-bye and they left. About 3 weeks later I got my letter saying I was no longer a member.

Easy peasy lemon squeezy!

Posted by: TonyS ( )
Date: January 28, 2020 07:01PM

I did this exact thing, except the bishop had to fill out a form that had questions on it about why I wanted to resign.

But, it was smooth... like he had been specifically trained on how to handle it.

Missionaries still came by about a month later and wanted to speak with me.

Posted by: random ( )
Date: January 28, 2020 07:02PM

I did it through the bishop and had my letter in about a week. I also told him I was not going to take any shit from him. He got the point and rushed the resignation through.

Posted by: dot matrix printer ( )
Date: January 28, 2020 08:22PM

A guru type of los mormones know-it-all who hangs at my favorite Mexican restaurant (Panza Llena) told me to write a letter to the mormon obispo. He said to phrase it this way:

I have seen the light and recognize the only true prophet of los mormones as the great Lamanite vato, Senor Elder Old Dog. I pledge to send him 90% of my paycheck because he will always buy his saints cerveza before lunch.

This really works. Give it a try.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 28, 2020 08:28PM

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 28, 2020 08:29PM

Why complicate resigning?????

It matters not the tiniest bit whether the bishop is flush with members in his ward or not.

Plus it doesn't matter whether you inform the bishop you are resigning or not. the bishop is more likely to mess up the process than Member Records in SLC. Member Records processes resignations all day every day. They know the process. Your bishop may or may not know the process. He is going to send your resignation to member records anyway. Or he might "lose" it. Cut out the middleman and send it to Member Records yourself.

There is already a basic form letter at https://www.exmormon.org/remove.htm

That is quick and easy. It even has instructions on where to email your resignation.

ETA: pledging 90% of paycheck to Elder Old Dog is optional but recommended. At least every paycheck received on Feb 29.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2020 08:37PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: January 29, 2020 01:27PM

I’m not going to resign if that’s what they want me to do.

Groucho Marx once said “I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.” In that spirit, I refuse to resign from an organization that wants me to resign.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 29, 2020 01:41PM

That sounds a lot like still letting Mormonism control one's decisions, just in the negative.

Posted by: Ted ( )
Date: January 29, 2020 01:36PM

I resigned a decade ago. My wife didn't but she's inactive and a non-believer. I like having them come by whenever they want. I start by saying, "We're not mormons anymore, but then again neither are you...so where is the evidence of the BOM? Why did Joseph Smith marry a 14 year old? Why did he marry women already married to living men?..." They don't stay long.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: January 30, 2020 03:19PM

“removal of effects of baptism, the priesthood, and the temple endowment and blessings”

Shutting off the light from Kolob is a lot like getting your cable TV shut off. Fortunately, for people who want to come back, restoration of service is as easy as paying the bill. The ordinances were just to get you connected in the first place. They don’t make you sign a billion year contract like some other churches. It’s so nice of them to include the disconnect notice in the resignation.

Seriously, that’s so stupid it’s silly. Who would want to belong to a church that craps on its former members that way? Let them worship how, where or what they may? Yeah right.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.